Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In TY and cant remember how to speak french or irish! help!

• 10-05-2011 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

I am nearly finished TY and I just realized (when a third year asked me to help them with their languages) that I can't speak french or irish anymore! Is there anybody here who could give me some good sites for re-learning these languages? I really don't want to have to start in a panic at the beginning of 5th year! I am going to the gaeltacht next month so my irish should be alright...also are there any french summer courses I could do to improve my french? I can understand most of it, it's just answering thats the hardest bit!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

You could get a French grammar book along with a Junior Cert book and skim through both to get a good base on the language again. Verbs are most important, do get them right and learn them.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BazDel

You have 2 years !! Most people forget loads in 4th year so its no big deal in my opinion..

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

Read through your notes from junior cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

I am nearly finished TY and I just realized (when a third year asked me to help them with their languages) that I can't speak french or irish anymore! Is there anybody here who could give me some good sites for re-learning these languages? I really don't want to have to start in a panic at the beginning of 5th year! I am going to the gaeltacht next month so my irish should be alright...also are there any french summer courses I could do to improve my french? I can understand most of it, it's just answering thats the hardest bit!

Get a few dvds of your favourite tv show, the kinda thing you'd know the dialogue of and what they were saying without volume. Make sure it has the french language on the back. Watch it in french but don't turn on the english subtitles.

Trust me, It's been over a year since I spoke french and I can still have full conversations from doing this.. In my oral I went on and described the plot of Lost with absolutely no prereration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Caithfidh tú iarracht níos fearr a dhéanamh!

;)

If you want a cheap way try http://www.livemocha.com/ - loads of lessons you can work through particularly for French. I used Irish a few years ago as a contributor (was learning Spanish so its natural to help others as you go on the website, its all community based so a lot of lessons are by native speakers) - it was very poor and mixed up with Scottish Gaelic so it may still be poor. All other european languages are well covered however.

Start watching TG4 if you can a half-hour per day, and buy one Irish newspaper a week to work through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

You'll pick it up again in 5th year, honestly! There were plenty of girls in my year who came in from 5th having done TY and decided to do both French and German in 5th year, despite only doing one of them in TY. So they had a full year without any interaction with French/German whatsoever, but they all managed perfectly fine with taking it up. You'll be surprised at just how much comes back to you!

Advertisement