Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for landscaping a steep slpoe?

Options
  • 10-05-2011 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Hi. We recently cleared an area at the back of our garden that was badly overgrown with wild growth (brambles, small wild trees, nettles, etc). This has left us with a steep slope at the end of our garden. The garden behind is on higher ground then us and the dividing wall's foundations must be supported by this slope so it must remain.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for what we can do with this? Budget is a bit tight as I am between jobs at the moment. We also have a dog so any plants would have to be beagle-proof!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Hi. We recently cleared an area at the back of our garden that was badly overgrown with wild growth (brambles, small wild trees, nettles, etc). This has left us with a steep slope at the end of our garden. The garden behind is on higher ground then us and the dividing wall's foundations must be supported by this slope so it must remain.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for what we can do with this? Budget is a bit tight as I am between jobs at the moment. We also have a dog so any plants would have to be beagle-proof!

What Orientation is the Bed/Slope seems to have good light on three Photos and the last photo seems shaded

Where is the Sun at 12 ...Does it Get Sun all Day / Morning /Afternoon/ Evening

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

The slope is east facing. It gets good sunlight during the day apart from the area to the left which gets zero direct sunlight because of the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Thats a large embankment of soil with a severe slope. :eek:

Whatever about your plans for ornamental planting, you need to build at least a robust retaining wall (4" soilid blocks laid flat) 2 feet high. If possible build wall 3 ' in front of lower end of embankment and try to grade the soil to a more gentle slope. It does seem the soil is up against a lapped panel on LHS, this will rot in time and the posting on RHS does not appear secure. I would plant some small growing trees at lower level (Sorbus acuparia Autumn Spire), on the sloping side, plant ground cover (Cotoneaster horizontalis) which has good soil retaining strength. In front of trees at lower level you can plant a wide range of ornamental (low growing < 3 ' feet height and spread). At the top of the embankment, try to train the climber to provide a neater appearance.

Embankments can look really good, but ground stability is a very important pre-requisite.

Good luck with your efforts.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi barack small retaining wall with a stream flowing in to a bed of gravel

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

ponddigger has the right idea, a rockery would be the way to go.
    My own first thought was a waterfall feature however maybe phase that in later.

This is the type of effect you want.

Deep%20Cut%20Gardens-50.jpg

Do the rockery by degrees and maybe add water feature later.

There is an alternative with sleepers ( look under retaining walls ) but I think most are very stark. You could give yourself a raised patio however!

Interesting things going on with your neighbours shed. Does their property go back further than yours? The post arrangement is also novel. Looks like the fence is held up by compression force!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestions guys - some great information there. I'd imagine that a small wall then planting on the slope will be best.

Nonmonotonic - the gardens are actually the same length. My neighbour landscaped their slope last summer and gained some space at ground level by removing some of the slope. I'm hoping that I can do the same - I can level off the top of the slope (downwards) and there is a lot to gain on the left.

I clearly have a lot of earth that can be removed. Is there anything that I can do with this? It's good quality and would be useful to someone as topsoil so it would be a shame to chuck it in a skip! Are there any companies that would make use of it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Free topsoil is always in demand. You could advertise it here, freetradeireland.ie or adverts.ie (FREE section). People usually screen it to an extent (remove large rocks, stones, vegetation, weeds). Imagine you would have no problem shifting it.
    Could be interested in some myself when you get round to it.

That would be great Redser and I've have no problem with any stones & stuff being left behind!

I take it people come and dig it up themselves? :confused:

Advertisement