Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Online Proofing, and Order fulfillment.

• 10-05-2011 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

I think I need this.... My search has brought me to a few places on the web.

Zenfolio Pro account for $100 a year, order fulfillment from Europe (photobox).
    SmugMug Pro account for €150 a year, order fulfillment from USA.
    Photo-Cart. PHP based, One time purchase, no direct shipment to customers.

I haven't really looked at other options. I'll drop the money on Zenfolio if I don't get any better alternatives.

Any suggestions....?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Have you tried Photoshelter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

have you tried contacting photobox directly and asking if you can set up a merchant account with them....they might be able to set up something for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

kensutz wrote: »
    Have you tried Photoshelter?
    Thanks. I've heard of them. I'll give them a look.
    PCPhoto wrote: »
    have you tried contacting photobox directly and asking if you can set up a merchant account with them....they might be able to set up something for you.
    I noticed something on their site alright. Havn't read it yet. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

A while back I tried to set a pro/merchant account up with Photobox but it drove me demented and I went for zenfolio instead.

They take a reasonable cut and photobox do a reasonable job.

Never had any problems and I don't have to lift a finger for any order.

If you go for zenfolio there is a VVG-XRQ-2SG that gives you an me some money off!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I was looking into this late last year and in the end it came down to photocart. Since the time I haven't had a need for it but it looks the cheapest and most customisable. You're also not relying on other services or annual fee's...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Hi Dave

Have you had a look at Gallery 2/3? It's free to setup and use and has numerous plugins so that you can either do the order fulfillment yourself or get someone else to do it and they take a percentage. If you have a bit of time to hand yourself and have an idea of php and css then you can set up a funky order fulfillment website in no time. There are no set up or annual fees.

I can show you some samples of it in action if you want. I'm free tomorrow if you're home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Go for zenfolio. It's foolproof. I think for an extra $25, you do get online proofing and loads more besides. You also have worldwide fulfillment and you only have to approve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have a friend using Smugmug and finds it excellent, upload all the original files and sit back. No problems with shipping from the usa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

If you want to send me a pic I'll upload it to a private gallery on my zenfolio and you can get a print made from it to see what you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Can't recommend PhotoShelter enough.

• Advertisement

mrboswell wrote: »
    If you go for zenfolio there is a VVG-XRQ-2SG that gives you an me some money off!! :D

Thanks Colm, save me the hassle of finding out for my self. :) Thanks for the code too.
    kjt wrote: »
    I was looking into this late last year and in the end it came down to photocart. Since the time I haven't had a need for it but it looks the cheapest and most customisable. You're also not relying on other services or annual fee's...

Hi ya Kyle. I have an older version of Photocart(3.9) on my Apache/PHP box and I don't really have the time nor the inclination to get stuck into doing anything with it. Plus, no drop shipping from it.
    Ballyman wrote: »
    Hi Dave

Have you had a look at Gallery 2/3? It's free to setup and use and has numerous plugins so that you can either do the order fulfillment yourself or get someone else to do it and they take a percentage. If you have a bit of time to hand yourself and have an idea of php and css then you can set up a funky order fulfillment website in no time. There are no set up or annual fees.

I can show you some samples of it in action if you want. I'm free tomorrow if you're home.

Further to the PM Aindreas, I want something complete out of the box. No hassel.
    Go for zenfolio. It's foolproof. I think for an extra $25, you do get online proofing and loads more besides. You also have worldwide fulfillment and you only have to approve

Cheers Paul, I guess I'm that fool.... :pac: Plus they post direct in unbranded boxes from Photobox which is the clincher for me. :)
    Borderfox wrote: »
    I have a friend using Smugmug and finds it excellent, upload all the original files and sit back. No problems with shipping from the usa

Cheers Keith, most of the sales I expect to get from it (If Any at all....) will most probably be just one or two individual images at a time.
    If you want to send me a pic I'll upload it to a private gallery on my zenfolio and you can get a print made from it to see what you think.

Thanks PBF. I got some Photobox images before and I find the quality, for what I need (events, 21st etc...) is good enough.
    Can't recommend PhotoShelter enough.
    They certainly look the best but are very expensive, Sure I can always go to them if Zenfolio doesn't work out.

Just looking at the options Photoshelter looks pretty expensive for linited storage, Zenfolio looks like the best price/punch option

I came to the same conclusion too. I got the site up and running and with the 10% off thanks to mrboswell and strong euro v's dollar it really was very cheap. :)

Doing my first upload atm.... davidosfoto.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

I have both Zenfolio & Smugmug accounts.

My quick version of the Pros and Cons for each

Smugmug

Great support
    I think the galleries and viewing speed is better
    Good photo labs - with an unbeatable guarantee
    Very customisable site/galleries (but see below)
    Pricing in US$ only, with delivery from the US
    No self-fulfilment
    Can be awkward customising the site

Zenfolio

Pricing in many currencies
    Lots of nice built in features e.g. favourites, royalty-free music for slideshows
    Self-fulfilment
    European Lab (Photobox)
    Can create full website (i.e. have non-gallery pages)
    I would never use Photobox for anything except cheap snaps. Quality is dire and inconsistent (but they are promising a proper European Pro lab soon)
    Performance is a bit poorer than Smugmug

That's just the tip of the iceberg. Each has lots of good/bad points and your requirements may vary. They both have free trials.

(Incidentally - when I posted my ZF discount code a while ago, I got a telling-off from a mod - wonder if the policy has changed ???)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

The Image File (https://www.theimagefile.ie/about/) is SUPERB, Covers all the requirements that anybody could want - and then a lot more besides!
    As well as showcasing your work, there are several options for Photo ordering. They have Lab deals, but you can opt to have the orders sent to you, or any third-party lab - with NO commission!
    There is a very modest monthly charge which includes hosting for up to 20Gb of images (Video, Stills, PDF's etc.).
    The real beauty of The Imagefile is that it is run by real (decent) people who could not be more helpful.
    The company is UK based, but uses an Irish domain, but better still they have an IRISH FREEFONE number for support. There is no automated answering, just real people who will call you back if they are busy. They are ideal for Photographers who have absolutely no web experience.
    When I was asked to sort a Photo showcase / sales site (by a Scottish boss who IS the stereotype tight-fisted Scot), I was told to get the best available - but I could not spend any money! I made a few inquiries an got some scary quotes, then a Professional Photographer friend reminded me of The ImageFile, and presto - we were up and running in no time.
    I have absolutely no connection to the company, but I am blown away by their "Nothing is too much trouble" attitude and their flexibility to take new ideas on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

- but I could not spend any money!

Didn't see that option !

Certainly looks the business, but not cheap.

Where a lot of these providers fall down is in putting a cap on space, I can do a single day event in jpeg and it can be 2gb+ wouldnt be too long before you have to start deleting events to make way for new ones (of course this is for the site fulfilling orders) if you are printing yourself then only small files need be uploaded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

I've just subscribed to the Zenfolio Premium Business account. They have just introduced subscription prices in Euro and have an introductory offer, so I got it for €115 (normally €140).
    They have also teamed up with One Vision Pro Lab in the UK so you can choose between them or Photobox.

It'll cost me €23 to upgrade from Premium to Premium Business. I might as well do that. Bit of a no brainer IMO.

Did the upgrade, I'm now on EU Premium Business plan... If anyone wants to open an account with them you can use this referral code KYH-JG8-A8V for a significant discount.

• Advertisement
Advertisement