Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hitman Absolution

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Give us some opinions !! :P not prices.
    Is it worth getting, whats good/bad about it ?

What sort of game are you looking for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Stev_o wrote: »
    What sort of game are you looking for?

I have the other Hitmans, I just wanna see some boardsies opinions on how they're finding the gameplay.
    I rarely trust "reviews" from the mainstream sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Give us some opinions !! :P not prices.
    Is it worth getting, whats good/bad about it ?
    I'd say it's worth it. The biggest problem I think I have with it is that it's a slight step back from Blood Money. There's little things about it that kind of make it seem a little off. Things like weapons just appearing in your hand as opposed to the older games where he'd actually reach into his jacket. I know that's a simple aesthetic thing, but it seems off when a sniper rifle suddenly appears in your hand. And there's cut scenes in it that are pre-rendered, so no matter what you're wearing, you're always wearing your suit in the cutscenes.

I'm only near the start of the game so far (after the helicopter chase from the preview videos that were shown ages ago), and I'm really enjoying it. The niggly bits mentioned above can be ignored easily enough. The levels offer plenty of experimentation. I read in some reviews that people were complaining about having to wait through really long conversations before NPC's moved on in their patrol route, but I think those conversations are brilliant in this. They feel a lot more real than in any of the other games. And they create some hilarious moments, for example in the first mission
    you're on a ledge outside a window. A guard inside is on the phone to his doctor and just been told he doesn't have cancer. He's so happy about the good news, I felt a bit sorry when I pulled him out the window to his death

Like the other Hitman games, there's plenty of replay value with the various ways of completing the missions. But it does give off the feeling that the developers created X amount of ways to complete them and you can't really stray from what they intended.

A quick word of warning, DON'T look at the achievements for the levels. They give away the various methods used to complete the map. They're in the info screen (where you get your mission briefing and see your inventory). It kind of ruins the fun of discovery.

I haven't really noticed the music other than the chase music in the helicopter scene, which I quite liked. Graphically, it's gorgeous. I'm playing on PC with everything at max. The one thing I don't like is all the bloom. It's used in this like JJ Abrams uses lens flare. I haven't tried contracts mode yet, but it'll definitely keep people playing this for a while.

So over all, it's not an awesome game, but it is good and a lot of fun even (or especially) when you mess up your plan and everything goes to hell. And just like Assassin's Creed 3, this would be so much better if they removed the storyline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Respawning enemies after a checkpoint us just retarded. Might as well restart the whole level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Respawning enemies after a checkpoint us just retarded. Might as well restart the whole level.

How they overlooked this is beyond me, hopefully it gets patched.

• Advertisement

I can't imagine it getting patched at all. There's a fair few problems with the checkpoint system. It's not just the respawning enemies, the whole level pretty much resets. Bodies disappear and items return to their original starting point. It seems like a bizarre design decision as opposed to something they overlooked.

Other than the checkpoint system, it's classic hitman. Plays the same as I remember. I'm fairly crap at it though. Just on king of China now, I must look up vids now how else toget through the 1st level.

1st level spoilers

I put the chef to sleep and hid him (minus points....really??) As the chef, I
    heard the main guard mention he likes his coffee. I tried to pick up his mug but
    couldn't get out in the open. Only occurred to me after the level I'm sure I
    could have just strolled out to pick it up. Anyone do anything with his coffee
    mug?
    Anyway, sneaked upstairs and opened the blinds. Main guard comes up and I
    garroted him. Anyway to get the card off him without killing/choking him?

Sheehy83 wrote:
    Other than the checkpoint system, it's classic hitman. Plays the same as I remember. I'm fairly crap at it though. Just on king of China now, I must look up vids now how else toget through the 1st level.

1st level spoilers
    Spoiler:
    heard the main guard mention he likes his coffee. I tried to pick up his mug but
    mug?
    Level 1 spoiler:
    I got the sleeping pills from the upstairs bathroom. Put those in the pot, which knocked out the chef, then put them into the coffee, which knocked out the main guy. I guess I didn't really need to knock the chef out, but I'm sure he did something horrible at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Other than the checkpoint system, it's classic hitman. Plays the same as I remember. I'm fairly crap at it though. Just on king of China now, I must look up vids now how else toget through the 1st level
    It's worth noting that most of the reviews (that I've read) have noted that the first level or two are indeed 'classic Hitman'. It's when the plot takes over shortly afterwards that thing supposedly start to go downhill

Looked at a few vids of the 1st level walkthrough and they have all been guns blazing.

Like the other thread on the games forum 'Your doing it wrong!' The whole point of the game is to get through the level and kill your target without anyone even knowing you're there. Only killing the target with an accident if possible. I'm not good enough yet to do this so I put the odd guard to sleep but if I get spotted, i just restart straight away. No wonder this is getting mixed reviews when people are just running round shooting everyone.

Now, saying that, everyone can play the game however they want after splashing out the money for it but I have a feeling people are treating it like a shooter and panning it when it doesn't go well.

EDIT: After what Reek said, maybe I should playthrough another few levels first. I might be blasting my way to the end yet. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

Enjoying it so far. Am on that nightclub level now at the moment. The satisfaction you get from sneaking through a level is brilliant. The glacier 2 engine is great as well. The highly populated areas look great.

Can't wait to get home later and continue on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

The whole point of the game is to get through the level and kill your target without anyone even knowing you're there.

No, it's not. the point of the game is to get the mission done. How you do it is up to you.

Dermighty wrote: »
    No, it's not. the point of the game is to get the mission done. How you do it is up to you.
    I'd say you're both wrong. The point of the game is to explore the maps and find as many ways to get the mission done as possible. The achievements would appear to indicate so.

Well the woman at the start says you should be trying to get through the level without anyone having any idea you were even there, hence you get the most points for just the one kill and making it look like an accident. But yeah, you can run through guns blazing or however you want but the game wants you to do it there way.

I thought it was a bit crap for getting minus points for putting someone to sleep but that just shows the game really wants you to be a shadow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

humanji wrote: »
    I'd say you're both wrong. The point of the game is to explore the maps and find as many ways to get the mission done as possible. The achievements would appear to indicate so.

My point was that the mission is the objective, not the method. If I want to assassinate people by choking them with my balls then so be it! Not that that'd be an efficient way or anything...wonder if there's an achievement for that.

================================================================

I don't like the snobbery surrounding this game. Who gives a f*ck if you're silent or not, the amount you earn is affected by how restrained you are in most cases. I like killing people, so I don't earn as much as people who are true silent assassins. It doesn't bother me :D

================================================================
    1st level spoilers

mug?
    Pushing him off the balcony may be an option.

If I want to assassinate people by choking them with my balls then so be it!

What a mental image :pac:

I agree with ya there. I didn't like the fact I was punished for putting a guy to sleep but then looking at the achievements, it looks like I would have been rewarded for killing a guy with a statue (the art one ?). They should have taken out those minus points and just giving rewards for for going the silent assassin route.

I was playing on Pro - Hard but dropped to Normal. I'd have no prob trying the harder difficulty if there was a proper checkpoint system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

How are any of you even recommending this garbage?
    Its dumbed down ****. Guards respawning after reloading a quicksave, losing disguises after reloading a quicksave, disguises in general being totally broken, cutscene assasinations...what the flying **** is going on here that anyone is recommending this ****?
    This isnt hitman, is splinter cell: conviction absolution. Its about as ****ing stupid as you can get, look at the tutorial level, how ever will i sneak past this giant barred gate into the compound...HMM MAYBE BY WALKING THROUGH THE GIANT HOLE IN THE WALL NEXT TO THE GATE. Jesus wept

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Its dumbed down ****. Guards respawning after reloading a quicksave, losing disguises after reloading a quicksave, disguises in general being totally broken, cutscene assasinations...what the flying **** is going on here that anyone is recommending this ****?
    This isnt hitman, is splinter cell: conviction absolution. Its about as ****ing stupid as you can get, look at the tutorial level, how ever will i sneak past this giant barred gate into the compound...HMM MAYBE BY WALKING THROUGH THE GIANT HOLE IN THE WALL NEXT TO THE GATE. Jesus wept

I'm guessing you're not enjoying the game. So I'm going to ignore you and continue to drop falling Pianos on people's heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

blobby360 wrote: »
    I'm guessing you're not enjoying the game. So I'm going to ignore you and continue to drop falling Pianos on people's heads.

Dont forget to continue watching cutscene assassination for all the missions where the game actually does all the work for you, and not forgetting all the missions where you dont even have an assassination to do and all you do is half assedly try and sneak from point A to point B but the games stealth is so ****ty that you end up just running past everything rather than start over for the umpteenth time cause its stealth is so ****ing wonky

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

Hello I'm just wondering how you learned the language of the **Stars**? :D

• Advertisement

You mean the gate at the start of the tutorial?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

The point of the game is that you have the options to play a level in whatever style you wish. This necessitates balanced gameplay and large levels that have multiple routes to the target. From what I've been hearing, both are absent from Absolution, to varying degrees

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

1st level spoilers

mug?

For the coffee:
    Go upstairs from the living room, and into the bathroom. There's sleeping pills on the counter. Introduce those to the coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Reekwind wrote: »
    The point of the game is that you have the options to play a level in whatever style you wish. This necessitates balanced gameplay and large levels that have multiple routes to the target. From what I've been hearing, both are absent from Absolution, to varying degrees

Id completely disagree with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Its weird being given the option in a game to use so much nice hardware ..... but still opting for a nice butchers knife as a weapon on choice! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

hightower1 wrote: »
    Its weird being given the option in a game to use so much nice hardware ..... but still opting for a nice butchers knife as a weapon on choice! :D

Filet knife is far more civilized

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

s8n wrote: »
    Filet knife is far more civilized

I'm not moving on from the prologue mission until I've found a way to murder someone with the piano.

Spear wrote: »
    I'm not moving on from the prologue mission until I've found a way to murder someone with the piano.
    I'm not sure you can. At least I haven't seen any NPC's even walk near them. It might be there for the contracts missions. Or I might just be really unlucky and the NPC's in my game are smarter than me (a real possibility)

While I was enjoying the game before, I did have problems with how it veered away from the older Hitman games. But I came to the belief that the story is just there as a reason to give you a walkthrough for each of the maps and that the Contracts mode is the real game. This, to me, explains why the checkpoint system is bizarre, why the levels are broken up into corridors, why there are some strangely pointless levels (the bar and gunshop, for example) and why the plot is so sh*te.

So now I don't mind how there's so many small little sections, as these will make for some very tricky contracts, and the game has become a hell of a lot more enjoyable. I'm spending my time going through each map wondering how I'd take out each NPC I see and how I can play around with the map.

What are peoples favourite weapons that they've found? I went on a rampage through one level killing everyone with an iron to the face. Very satisfying. I thought the katana would be fun, but just didn't do it for me. And the shotgun is fun when you're in a level of armed enemies (I feel bad about using it on civilians, possibly because I could be using the sledgehammer on them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mate got the full pack, with the toy. Have put my zippo next to it, to show the size of it. It has a nice solid weight to it :)

229741.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I'm more curious about what you've blanked out from that image. :pac:

Advertisement