Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hitman Absolution

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Yep, I'm looking forward to this game. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

looks cool, but i guess days of....

name of your target: xxx
    your equipment to use: xxx
    escape route: xxx
    plan out your hit: xxx

...are gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Not necessarily. They may have the old plan-and-execute missions like in the past. What was in the trailer was just one mission showing stealth, the "instinct" mode, combat and some traps (the chandelier).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Looks amazing , i know its in good hands

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, I'm trying not to judge too hard as it's just one video / mission from the game, but I'm not immediately impressed by it.

That mission seemed awfully linear for a start. Yes, it did seem to be an "escape" level rather than a contract-based one, but the player didn't actually seem to be doing that much: there was also a lot of subtle scripting going on - incidents that seemed to be triggered by Agent 47 simply being in a certain spot in the level, and requiring the user to make snap decisions as cops conveniently decided to patrol that area.

Previous comments by the devs before this video was released make me suspect the sandbox-nature of the contracts are going to be severely watered down, so this video does nothing to persuade me otherwise.

Plus on a more personal note - anyone else miss the days when stealth actually meant using the shadows, and not ducking behind the plethora of conveniently chest-high furniture? Stealth doesn't feel tactical anymore - it's just a timing game as you hide behind line-of-sight blocks.

All that said, the engine itself looks nice & atmospheric, and still seems capable of rendering some large levels. Although I am disappointed to hear that neither Jesper Kyd (soundtrack guy) nor David Bateson (agent 47's voice) is returning :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I enjoyed that, a great little level!

I will echo the above poster's comments though, if all the levels are that linear, it will be no Hitman game. Most of the fun always came from deciding what way to do a mission. Nothing beat getting in and out without anyone knowing you were there.

....and then playing the level again with a crap load of guns, killing everyone and enjoying the over the top physics.

Wait and see I suppose, this could be a level purely for showcasing the abilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Any news on release date for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Pretty much all the footage I've seen of this has shown 47 creeping around corners and shadows breaking necks. There's going to be no contracts, apparently. If that's the case, then I can't imagine that assassinating targets is going to be a central feature of the game. It's a 'personal' story as well which probably means the entire thing will take place in Chicago. There'll be no globe-trotting like in the other games. IO have also been looking to Kane and Lynch as a reference point for action packed set pieces. The optional instinct mode is fueled by killing people. You can perform context sensitive execution attacks a la Deus Ex 3 or Manhunt. They've also included bullet time.

Getting a bit worried to say the least. Hitman stealth has always been about hiding in plain sight, not creeping about like Sam Fisher or Solid Snake.

edit: Sources

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/341265/interviews/hitman-absolution-a-big-part-of-the-game-is-a-moral-personal-journey-for-47/

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2012/01/11/hitman-absolution-rewards-silent-killers-or-trigger-happy-gunmen-preview/

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ADarkKnight88

Cant. wait. any. longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

this game looks epic. any idea of a release date?
    gotta get through splinter cell and velvet assassain first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 th3 lunatik

im a big fan of the hitman series and have been waiting for this game for so long , but from what ive seen i dont think it looks very good tbh , it looks very different to past games ! hopefully it turns out good but i dunno :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Bullet Time! Why the hell does he need bullet time, he's becoming extremely shoddy at his job if bullets are flying at him. Just one over those features that would take away from the game rather than adding to it.

According to play.com it's set to be released late september

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I have to say, the axe to the neck made me wince.

It's made me feel a little better about the game anyway. I'll reserve judgement till I play a demo or something.

Looks far more action orientated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

i always wanted to see a 2 part mission where you arrive the day before to scope out the place and maybe set up, and then the day of the mission. always a dream.

ill reserve judgement till i get the game. if its too much of an action game, ill be pissed. But if it keeps the feel of the originals just with a more flexible 47 and a more usable environment, i will be kept happy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Still too little footage of the arenas to make a judgement. What makes Hitman the game people love (or made me love it anyway) were the sometimes-sprawling & detailed levels, where planning & exploration was as important as the kill itself. I know these trailers are usually tailored to Johnny Disposableincome, so they put the action front & centre, but I"m still worried this game will just become a series of action-rooms with maybe 3/4 'choices'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,961 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Still worried about how much killing/action is in the game, but then again, for a gametrailer, it's kinda hard to get someone excited about a game where you just walk around looking for ways to kill your target, so I don't think it'll be as action-orientated in the final game. Hope not anyway.

But like pixelburp said, I'd like to see more areas and how the levels are different. Might actually replay Blood Money. Levels in that were fantastic.

• Advertisement

Funny you should mention Bloody Money, I started playing it again almost immediately after seeing that demo.......I suppose I'm getting excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 OpTiMuS Pr1mE

Does anyone know if gamestop here are doing the sniper challenge pre - order bonus??
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbH90z7t8bA

Does anyone know if gamestop here are doing the sniper challenge pre - order bonus??
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbH90z7t8bA

Yep they are they updated the description from yesterday happy days :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I think there is a lot of confusion arount this... Is sniper challange....

(A) something that will be released through PSN and XBL as a single stage sniper mode to allow unlocks for when the game disc is booted up

OR

(B) something that will be unlocked when you boot up the disc for the first time if you've pre ordered and would otherwise be unlocked on the disc as additional content to allow unlocks for sniper abilities for a second play through once you've cleared the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

hightower1 wrote: »
    I think there is a lot of confusion arount this... Is sniper challange....

(A) something that will be released through PSN and XBL as a single stage sniper mode to allow unlocks for when the game disc is booted up

OR

(B) something that will be unlocked when you boot up the disc for the first time if you've pre ordered and would otherwise be unlocked on the disc as additional content to allow unlocks for sniper abilities for a second play through once you've cleared the game.

A. When you pre order the main game you get a code to download the sniper challenge game from xbla or psn, which is available this week. The unlocks only apply to sniper challenge to help boost your score, but it's standalone from the main hitman game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Q_Ball wrote: »
    A. When you pre order the main game you get a code to download the sniper challenge game from xbla or psn, which is available this week. The unlocks only apply to sniper challenge to help boost your score, but it's standalone from the main hitman game

Score! Looks like Ill reluctantly have to pre order at gamestop then. How does one go about getting the code if they pre order in store so you mind me asking?

hightower1 wrote: »
    Score! Looks like Ill reluctantly have to pre order at gamestop then. How does one go about getting the code if they pre order in store so you mind me asking?

Pre order in gamestop, they give you a code then go onto hitmansniper.com register, enter your code then they e-mail you another code to redeem in playstation store....the sites not working though nobody on ps3 can play yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Pre-order at Amazon. They will email the code to you and they are cheaper than GS. GS are thieves with the prices they charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

are there achievements on the Sniper game :o

Edit : Wait for the sake of argument can you not just pre-order then cancel after you get the code from amazon ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭psugrue

for anyone who is looking for the sniper challenge, if you dont want to pre-order the game you can buy it in hmv for €2, was in hmv in pavillions this morning so i'd say its in the other ones too

Advertisement