Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hitman Absolution

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

snausages wrote: »
    But ignore the tone and the score. Ignore the purely subjective stuff. Unless he's telling fibs, the problems he's talking about in reference to stealth and linearity will be in the finished product. Whether or not the story is "embarrassingly bad", as he says, is something that will probably be up for contention when the game gets released. But I doubt he's making stuff up when he talks about how the gameplay is now subordinated to the story and cinematics.

Yet people plug their fingers in their ears because he doesn't like one of their favourite games. I don't understand that.

He speaks of linearity while other reviewers and people on podcasts have spoken about how open it is and how it's pure Hitman.

He could very well be right about what he says, but I'm not going to let one negative review dash my excitement for this, especially given the other positive reviews that have come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

@Stevo, Well I remember watching the "Run for your life" mission. 47 sneaks about like Adam Jensen or Batman and performs a lot of context sensitive kills. They make it look non-linear but when you really look at it there doesn't seem to be very many opportunities to deviate from the pre-determined path they give you. The "hiding your face" method of stealth comes up in the end.

The Chinatown mission is one of the ones that has multiple paths and methods of assassination. I haven't watched the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

@Stevo, Well I remember watching the "Run for your life" mission. 47 sneaks about like Adam Jensen or Batman and performs a lot of context sensitive kills. They make it look non-linear but when you really look at it there doesn't seem to be very many opportunities to deviate from the pre-determined path they give you. The "hiding your face" method of stealth comes up in the end.

The Chinatown mission is one of the ones that has multiple paths and methods of assassination. I haven't watched the other one.

I have a feeling Run for Your life is the opening mission or it least it seems like it, first mission in Blood Money was 100% linear.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 wade_barrett

this video kinda highlights one point the reviewer made about the final assasination part being a cut seen which if this is true for most missions is really pathetic !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE5vtaaCND8

this video kinda highlights one point the reviewer made about the final assasination part being a cut seen which if this is true for most missions is really pathetic !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE5vtaaCND8

I haven't watched the full video as I didnt want any spoilers. So a quick question. Was his main objective to assassinate someone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

But ignore the tone and the score. Ignore the purely subjective stuff. Unless he's telling fibs, the problems he's talking about in reference to stealth and linearity will be in the finished product. Whether or not the story is "embarrassingly bad", as he says, is something that will probably be up for contention when the game gets released. But I doubt he's making stuff up when he talks about how the gameplay is now subordinated to the story and cinematics.

Yet people plug their fingers in their ears because he doesn't like one of their favourite games. I don't understand that.

Its like someone early reviewing black ops 2 as 55 out of 100 ... thats a game Ill be avoiding but even I would call BS on that one as we all know that games gonna get 90 out of a 100 across the board. Most games these days you know a ball park figure most reviewers will give before its even been released, I mean come on, AC3 getting a 8.5 / 9.0 across the board was as predictable as the sun rising. Hitman games have classically gotten between 7 and 9 out of ten and judging from all the previews, write ups, behind the scene videos we know this game doesnt deviate from the hitman formula in any major way so when someone comes out with an early review that deviates from the classic score zone for the hitman series and is then contrasted with other early reviews that DO put it in the classic score range ... well... it doesnt take Shelock holmes to see that the one particular reviewer is doing something wrong and isnt being objective.

When reviewing a game your personal taste shouldnt come into it as your not reviewing the game for yourself but for the audience so when your score is massively outside the average then your reviewing method is a little busted .... that or you just wanted people to visit your site to find out what the dealeo is.

Sure its one of my most anticipated games of the year but if its a turd Ill most definitely be the one to scream from the rooftops but I just cant see that happening based on what we know so far.

Stev_o wrote: »
    I haven't watched the full video as I didnt want any spoilers. So a quick question. Was his main objective to assassinate someone?
    no i dont think it was but thats crazy too becouse it should be its hitman !! i just hope its not ruined becouse as a die hard hitman fan ive been waiting for this game for way too long

hightower1 wrote: »
    Its like someone early reviewing black ops 2 as 55 out of 100 ... thats a game Ill be avoiding but even I would call BS on that one as we all know that games gonna get 90 out of a 100 across the board. Most games these days you know a ball park figure most reviewers will give before its even been released, I mean come on, AC3 getting a 8.5 / 9.0 across the board was as predictable as the sun rising. Hitman games have classically gotten between 7 and 9 out of ten and judging from all the previews, write ups, behind the scene videos we know this game doesnt deviate from the hitman formula in any major way so when someone comes out with an early review that deviates from the classic score zone for the hitman series and is then contrasted with other early reviews that DO put it in the classic score range ... well... it doesnt take Shelock holmes to see that the one particular reviewer is doing something wrong and isnt being objective.
    I'm sorry, but this is absurd. There's no such thing as objectivity in game reviewing unless you're talking about the shininess of 47's head. Or, as mentioned, the frequency of cutscenes when performing assassinations. That's something that can be accurately measured. A game's 'goodness' cannot.

Not to mention that the original Hitman was terrible. I doubt many people would have expected it to become the series it is today.

The other thing about early reviews is best summed up by the RE6 situation, where the vitriolic reviews only started to emerge once journalist's NDAs expired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I liked all the Hitman games.

If this game is only as good as blood money I'll still be happy.

The fact is they're not creating a new game franchise and unless it's different developers (which is isn't) then they're probably not going to put the originals through a grinder and f*ck it all up.

Hitman isn't a 10/10 game anyway, I wouldn't expect it to be a 100% perfect game (doesn't need to be said really) but I know I will enjoy it, I just know it, the games gave me so much enjoyment, simply replaying my favourite missions twenty, thirty or a hundred times over just for the fun of it. That's what made Hitman good for me, not the game from start to finish but rather its individual parts (not many games like that for me).

Hopefully they don't turn it into something like what Splinter Cell Conviction was to any of the Splinter Cell titles before it. Does that make sense?

Well Contracts ended up you just having to escape not trying to kill anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,462 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I find it weird that is pretty cheap for the pc

Makes me cautious about buying it

Headshot wrote: »
    I find it weird that is pretty cheap for the pc

Makes me cautious about buying it

Well iv got the Sniper Challenge, Codename 47 and Blood Money for free pre purchasing it so was a decent enough deal if you ask me. Id say id enjoy it more then some abstract number is going to suggest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Theres a guy on my psn friendlist whos playing the game now and he seems to love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I'm sorry, but this is absurd. There's no such thing as objectivity in game reviewing unless you're talking about the shininess of 47's head. Or, as mentioned, the frequency of cutscenes when performing assassinations. That's something that can be accurately measured. A game's 'goodness' cannot.

???? :confused::confused::confused: So no game reviewer has ever been objective in scoring or reviewing a game ??
    That's something that can be accurately measured. A game's 'goodness' cannot.

.....and a game cannot be reviewed to ether being good or bad???? Eh, I think an entire section of the gaming press might disagree with your opinion there buddy but your more than entitled to your particular train of though but me on the other hand I think most game reviewers are and are at least possible to be objective and a game can be reviewed to determine its overall merit.

Aaaaaanyways, back on topic.

" 65 % of the levels in hitman absolution have no assasination primary objective compare that too bloodmoney 10 % and contracts 5 % , thats why they have included a contracts mode that is all about taking out targets , the main story mode is more like max payne with extended cut scenes and shooter based gameplay and is very stylish and although different from previous games in the series is extremley good with excellaint graphics and pyhsics and is a goty candidate " got this from a guy on my friends list who is playing the game all week so take it for what it is but hes a good lad

hightower1 wrote: »
    ???? :confused::confused::confused: So no game reviewer has ever been objective in scoring or reviewing a game ??

.....and a game cannot be reviewed to ether being good or bad???? Eh, I think an entire section of the gaming press might disagree with your opinion there buddy but your more than entitled to your particular train of though but me on the other hand I think most game reviewers are and are at least possible to be objective and a game can be reviewed to determine its overall merit.

Aaaaaanyways, back on topic.

No, I don't think it's possible to be objective when writing a video game review. I wouldn't trust the opinion of any reviewer who thinks that he has been completely impartial when writing up his review. I don't think you can talk about objectivity when there are a myriad of factors that likely skew his impression of the game. Everyone's impression of Hitman: Absolution will be affected by their past experience with the series. Some people are calling this a brilliant turn around because past games were too rigid in their game mechanics. Some people are bemoaning the fact that it's become homogenized and that the level design is less intelligent. Other people are delighted that the trial and error gameplay is gone. Others hate how streamlined the assassination process has become and how the game rewards you for killing henchmen. And so on.

Neither of these opinions are categorically 'wrong'. Hitman 2,3 and 4 were a miserable experience for some but fantastic games for others. The best the reviewer can do is to just report on their experience of the game and how it made them feel. It's a totally subjective system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thread renamed.... we're WELL past the teaser trailer. :o

Neither of these opinions are categorically 'wrong'. Hitman 2,3 and 4 were a miserable experience for some but fantastic games for others. The best the reviewer can do is to just report on their experience of the game and how it made them feel. It's a totally subjective system.

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Im tempted to buy this when its released and i never buy new releases. I'm a PC gamer and it will most likely be €60 on steam so f*ck that. Do tesco normally stock new release PC games? Or maybe I can pre-order a hard copy somewhere for cheaper?

MadYaker wrote: »
    Im tempted to buy this when its released and i never buy new releases. I'm a PC gamer and it will most likely be €60 on steam so f*ck that. Do tesco normally stock new release PC games? Or maybe I can pre-order a hard copy somewhere for cheaper?

Why do people keep thinking everything is €60 on steam, the only games I've ever seen for €60 on steam have been the COD games.

It's currently €44.99 on steam which gets you a digital version of the game, the sniper challenge promo missions (accessible immediately) and hitman, hitman 2 and hitman 4 (blood money) (all accessible immediately).

Steam Store Link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I feel stupid, I've been using steam for years! Why didn't it come up when I searched :(

MadYaker wrote: »
    I feel stupid, I've been using steam for years! Why didn't it come up when I searched :(

It might be cheaper in Gamestop or something (maybe €39.99) but I like steam and having the game on demand whenever I need to download it again so I'll buy it there.

hitman absolution street date is broken in several european countries ha i knew something was up when so many people on my friends list were playing it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

got my hands on a copy, 2 levels in and liking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

dave1982 wrote: »

Must have been a slow torrent. It's been available since last week.

dave1982 wrote: »
    Do you think it's very different to previous games in the series ? .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mad to try this but absolutely too many games at the moment so will wait til after Christmas. Anyway, Gamesnash are doing a Boardsies deal at the moment, €46.99 for ps3/360 incl delivery.
    We've got a great price of €48.99 for Hitman Absolution - releasing on Tuesday.

We've also got an exclusive Boardises Ninja code on the title too -
    Enter "NinjaHitman" in the discount box at checkout and get another €2.00 off
    bringing it to a total of €46.99 delivered anywhere in Ireland. This is €10
    cheaper than the current Gamestop price.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056808806

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

If the release date has been broken you think that they'd break it in game ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Got a new graphics card on its way. Getting this, Far Cry 3 and Sleeping Dogs with the bundle. Happy days! :D

Advertisement