Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hitman Absolution

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

If the release date has been broken you think that they'd break it in game ?

well i just rang my local gamestop there and they said while they know about it they have not been given the go ahead to break street date.

so looks like its still going to be opening time Tuesday morning, for me anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

tuxy wrote: »
    Must have been a slow torrent. It's been available since last week.

Nope real deal case an all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Not impressed by this gameplay section. I don't think I'm being unreasonable by saying that it has no place in a Hitman game. I know it's only 5 minutes, but what if there are other sections like it?

Spoilers obviously, though I'd recommend watching about 90 seconds or so anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

snausages wrote: »
    Not impressed by this gameplay section. I don't think I'm being unreasonable by saying that it has no place in a Hitman game. I know it's only 5 minutes, but what if there are other sections like it?

Spoilers obviously, though I'd recommend watching about 90 seconds or so anyway.

Im not against it and its out of context anyways (the bit I watched). If anything Im more looking forward to it than I was before. Looks a good game even from some of the bits and pieces out that people dont like.

To me it just seems too tonally inconsistent with the series to date. It reminds me of a comic book or a Tarantino film. There are other scenes I've watched that made me feel the same way, but that so far is the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

snausages wrote: »

WTF?! quick time events? some cinematic bull****!?

3onv3n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The Contracts Mode sounds interesting. Is this the only 'online' mode planned?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The (favourable) Kotaku review is up:

http://kotaku.com/5961499/hitman-absolution-the-kotaku-review

and the Steam pre-load is up too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Rock Paper Shotgun were not impressed. I think I'll avoid this one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Longer loading times on PC? Why?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

tuxy wrote: »
    Longer loading times on PC? Why?

Much larger data set compared to the lesser effects and lower textures on consoles. Does seem a bit disproportionately high though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I've read a couple of reviews now and it seems pretty clear there's going to be some division between people who love it and hate it. Many of them do seem incredibly harsh though, even going so far as to criticise things I actually like about the series or would have liked to see in subsequent games.

The Total Biscuit review, oddly enough, seems to be the most balanced and informed from what I've seen. While he does call out some of the things that have changed in the series as not necessarily being for the better, he also points to many positive things too and eventually paints a picture of a game which is, in his own words, a mechanicaly solid and challenging stealth action game which has a lot of interesting ideas, not all of which work, and while it's not the best game in the series, it's definitely worth playing. Just don't be surprised if you get frustrated. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

This is only 34.99 ON CDwow.ie until end of tomorrow I think.
    http://www.ie.wowhd.com/games/hitman-absolution-xbox-360/dp/28196071#bc=2d79

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Keith186

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    This is only 34.99 ON CDwow.ie until end of tomorrow I think.
    http://www.ie.wowhd.com/games/hitman-absolution-xbox-360/dp/28196071#bc=2d79
    You wouldn't want to be in a rush for it though, they were fairly slow with delivery when I got DVDs from them before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Was buzzing for this and all the reviews seem to be dampening the game. Once I had a look through though most seem to be seeing the game for what its not rather than for what it is. Looks very good though and apparently story driven so Im very excited now having looked into the game/reviews more

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think I'll skip this until it appears as budget, if even; there's just not enough consensus & too many reservations about this to justify purchasing it. By all accounts it looks to me like it's a massive disappointment more than anything. I'm not a rabid Hitman fan, I was well aware of previous games' faults, but they tended to be control bugs & by all accounts Absolution looks like it has some fundamental problems with the core concepts.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think I'll skip this until it appears as budget, if even; there's just not enough consensus & too many reservations about this to justify purchasing it. By all accounts it looks to me like it's a massive disappointment more than anything. I'm not a rabid Hitman fan, I was well aware of previous games' faults, but they tended to be control bugs & by all accounts Absolution looks like it has some fundamental problems with the core concepts.

I'm curious to where all these negative reviews are coming from?? You'd swear the game was totally broken. I haven't read that much negative stuff about the game! Am I missing something?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

pedatron wrote: »
    I'm curious to where all these negative reviews are coming from?? You'd swear the game was totally broken. I haven't read that much negative stuff about the game! Am I missing something?

It seems to be more disappointment than outright negativity. The RPS review above is a case in point, or the Edge review. Not entirely scathing, but indicating the game has some significant problems. Then again, this is the world of game reviewing, where everything that isn't a 9/10 or higher is basically equivalent to a war crime :pac:

I'm not the biggest fan of Hitman generally speaking (have played a few of the games, but was always a tad indifferent to them), but it's disappointing to hear that idiotic nuns advertisement is representative of an undercurrent of silly misogyny in the game itself. Shame well-established franchises still have to lower themselves to that sort of thing :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I watched TB's analysis of it.
    Apparently some of the reviews were from an early build that has since been patched and certain issues fixed.
    Any game though released around this time , people should wait for the STEAM sale to at least see if there is a slight reduction in price

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

i have not read up on the thread cause hitman series is one of my fav series , i just checked up on the reviews their and it seems people are mixed on it.

The only thing i seen was the E3 build and that was it and i thought that 12 minutes was enough to see a purchase and im finding it quite shocking i seen reviewers give it a 5 and 6s. Surely it cant be that bad to get that low of a score.

its still my most anticipated title of 2012 but its crazy to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Stolen from the comments on the Eurogamer review, it's a round up of all the scores currently out for it. Doesn't strike me as being a bad game at all.

IGN – 9/10
    CVG – 9/10
    OPM – 9/10
    OXM – 9/10
    GamesAktuell.de (German) – 9/10
    Gamingbolt – 9/10
    PSX Extreme (Polish) - 9/10
    GamesmasterUK - 90 %
    Duimschroef – 9/10
    Eurogamer.cz – 8/10
    PureSophistry – 9/10
    VicioJuegos (Spanish) – 91/100
    Playfront (German) – 9/10
    Games Radar – 4.5/5
    Digital Spy – 4/5
    Joystiq – 4/5
    Gamesurf (Italy) – 8.5/10
    PCGames.de (German) – 88/100
    PC Games (German) - 88%
    GIGA.de (German) – 85/100
    Gametrailers – 6.9/10
    Edge – 7/10
    Eurogamer – 7/10
    Videogamer – 5/10
    NowGamer – 8/10
    God Is A Geek – 8/10
    Kotaku – ‘Yes’
    Xbox 360 Achievements – 83/100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I preordered it off CDWOW while it was cheap. The positive reviews I've read seem to be pointing out the same things as the negative ones, mainly that it's over-ambitious in some areas, which I don't mind. It'll still have a sense of humour and be a and a bit of fun, something missing from most games that are out at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

DarkJager wrote: »
    Stolen from the comments on the Eurogamer review, it's a round up of all the scores currently out for it. Doesn't strike me as being a bad game at all.

IGN – 9/10
    CVG – 9/10
    OPM – 9/10
    OXM – 9/10
    GamesAktuell.de (German) – 9/10
    Gamingbolt – 9/10
    PSX Extreme (Polish) - 9/10
    GamesmasterUK - 90 %
    Duimschroef – 9/10
    Eurogamer.cz – 8/10
    PureSophistry – 9/10
    VicioJuegos (Spanish) – 91/100
    Playfront (German) – 9/10
    Games Radar – 4.5/5
    Digital Spy – 4/5
    Joystiq – 4/5
    Gamesurf (Italy) – 8.5/10
    PCGames.de (German) – 88/100
    PC Games (German) - 88%
    GIGA.de (German) – 85/100
    Gametrailers – 6.9/10
    Edge – 7/10
    Eurogamer – 7/10
    Videogamer – 5/10
    NowGamer – 8/10
    God Is A Geek – 8/10
    Kotaku – ‘Yes’
    Xbox 360 Achievements – 83/100

I like the look of those numbers. A few negative reviews wont throw me anyway. I love hitman, its 35 euro on cdwow and the reviews from the sites i read most are good.

Shut up and take my money!

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I watched TB's analysis of it.
    Apparently some of the reviews were from an early build that has since been patched and certain issues fixed.
    Any game though released around this time , people should wait for the STEAM sale to at least see if there is a slight reduction in price
    Are you ****ing serious? I mean the game isn't even out and you're advising people to wait for it to come up in a sale? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

gizmo wrote: »
    Are you ****ing serious? I mean the game isn't even out and you're advising people to wait for it to come up in a sale? :eek:

What's wrong with that :confused:

I was really looking forward to Dishonored but I decided to hold out a few months... And you can now pick the game up for around €25.

For me unless the game has solid multiplayer or a really good story I'm not going to unload €60 on a game I'm going to finish in a week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

gizmo wrote: »

Reasonable enough advice to be honest - not everyone has the kind of disposable income to just drop ~40euro on a brand-new game, especially one that seems to be quite disappointing to those who loved the previous Hitman games. The only reason half these releases are initially so expensive is cos publishers know gamers have absolutely no self-restraint when it comes to new releases. And considering devs won't release demos anymore, I just can't justify wasting my money on every shiny bauble that comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

blobby360 wrote: »
    What's wrong with that :confused:

I was really looking forward to Dishonored but I decided to hold out a few months... And you can now pick the game up for around €25.

For me unless the game has solid multiplayer or a really good story I'm not going to unload €60 on a game I'm going to finish in a week.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Reasonable enough advice to be honest - not everyone has the kind of disposable income to just drop ~40euro on a brand-new game, especially one that seems to be quite disappointing to those who loved the previous Hitman games. The only reason half these releases are initially so expensive is cos publishers know gamers have absolutely no self-restraint when it comes to new releases. And considering devs won't release demos anymore, I just can't justify wasting my money on every shiny bauble that comes out.
    I wasn't specifically referring to Hitman there, it was more a of a general "X game is coming out, just gona wait wait for the Steam sale" comment which is cropping up in nearly every thread these days.

Especially in a case like Hitman, I can't see anything wrong with waiting a awhile for a user reviews to come out and give more info on a game or hell, at this time of year, people having other big releases to get through, but its the idea of specifically wait for a sale with it to come up which gets to me, especially when you consider the following. In the last few weeks we've seen two big games come out (BLOPS2 and Halo 4) which have sold massively yet will continue to be derided by people for a variety of reasons, most notably in this case them not offering anything new and rehashing old formulas. Meanwhile, while console sales for Hitman will no doubt remain high, the very demographic who complain about their platform of choice being neglected, will be sitting around waiting for these new releases to come up in a sale.

As someone else in the Spec Ops thread stated on the subject "steam sales are going to kill this hobby of ours". :(

• Advertisement

Even a lot of the positive reviews bring up things that I was worried about this game. Namely, that the silly, cinematic focus of the game has hamstrung the assassination segments. A lot of the killing techniques look more overt than before. Gamespot or IGN (can't remember which) had a video showing off a lot of the hits and many of them involve blunt force. I know Hit2 was like this as well but Blood Money has some wonderfully creative ways to kill your targets. I was hoping this would be like that.

I'm also kind of surprised by the voice acting. It reminds me of when The Getaway came out first. It tried desperately hard to impress you with its 'mature content' and had every actor over-enunciating the word 'f*ck' every 20 seconds like naughty schoolchildren.

It doesn't look like the Hitman game I've been waiting for for 6 years. I hope other people enjoy it though.

Advertisement