Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating exams in the summer

Options
  • 10-05-2011 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Basically last semester i failed a module. I got an E in it. I was hoping to compensate it but I totally fecked up two other exams this time around and think in total between the two semesters I'll have failed 3 modules...I'm a first year Arts student. Will I be able to just do exams for all three of these in the summer, pass them (hopefully) and progress onto second year? (I know it's gonna cost a bomb...*sigh*).

Who knows I could surprise myself and be able to compensate or I might have done better than I thought in the exams - but just wanna prepare myself for the worst.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

No such thing as summer repeats. You will be repeating at Christmas if you fail. You then enter the murky world of Stage X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

There are no summer repeats, you will repeat the exams at the next available set of exams (Christmas)

You can compensate for up to 3 E's i think. Provided your overall GPA for stage (first year in this case) is 2.0 or above You cannot progress to the next stage unless you have 50/60 credits.

What this means is, you cannot start second year if you do not have 50/60 credits made up.

So if you think you failed 3, and say 1 was an E, 2 were F's and GPA was 2.0 or over then yes you can start second year and repeat exams next christmas.

Be aware however, some second year subjects may have pre-requisites... So if you were doing say maths 2 in first semester of second year, and failed (and didnt compensate) in first year then you will not be eligible to do maths 2 and things get a whole lot messier...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 UCD91

Thanks for the replies!

@ muboop - I did a quick "guess" calculation of what my GPA will probably be - and it worked out at around 2.1. Please pray for me! :p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

No such thing as summer repeats. You will be repeating at Christmas if you fail. You then enter the murky world of Stage X

Just to note, Stage X no longer exists as of this academic year. Instead, students either progress to Stage 2 with 50/60 credits (and make them up at a later point) or remain in Stage 1 until they gain enough credits to progress.

You can compensate 3 Es if your GPA is over 2.0.

Well, I have one E. And I think I also got Es in the other two subjects I think I failed. And my GPA should still be over 2.0

But if not...

Where does this leave me? What happens after Christmas when I finish all the modules I had to make up for? Can I not do anything then til September?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

UCD91 wrote: »
    Where does this leave me? What happens after Christmas when I finish all the modules I had to make up for? Can I not do anything then til September?
    You would then progress into stage 2 after Christmas, i.e. the start of the second semester. Afaik they'll usually let you do a few stage 2 modules in the first semester as well.

You would then progress into stage 2 after Christmas, i.e. the start of the second semester. Afaik they'll usually let you do a few stage 2 modules in the first semester as well.

That sounds very sloppy. :( Let's hope it doesn't come to that. Although it's nice to know it's only like an extra semester and not the end of the world.

Thanks a lot for explaining. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Remember though you only need 50 credits to progress to stage 2. You have one E already, yeah? And you think you might have another two? Well, if you managed to scrape a pass in one of them you'll be through.

Remember though you only need 50 credits to progress to stage 2. You have one E already, yeah? And you think you might have another two? Well, if you managed to scrape a pass in one of them you'll be through.

Yep with some luck...I always get very panicky after exams. After I finished my Leaving Cert I was convinced I failed every single subject. Maybe I just need to mellow out a bit. Hopefully that E gets compensated and I scrape through. And if not...it's not the end of the world. Thanks again for your advice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Just to note, Stage X no longer exists as of this academic year. Instead, students either progress to Stage 2 with 50/60 credits (and make them up at a later point) or remain in Stage 1 until they gain enough credits to progress.

You can compensate 3 Es if your GPA is over 2.0.

This is terrible. Stage X was a great way to differentiate the wheat from the chaff. These people lived in a sort of limbo, neither a first year or second year and usually graduated after everyone else. They were the lowest caste in UCD, a people set apart. ;)

• Advertisement

Stage X has actually been gone for over 2 years now. And I think it only existed in the first place for about a year or two. However, I suspect it will live on for many years to come in the minds of confused students (and administrative staff) who just can't get their heads around modularisation.

Advertisement