Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pebbles Cafe has evening restaurant menu now

Options
  • 10-05-2011 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi, ate out in Pebbles Cafe by Lidl. Was really impressed with the quality of their food.
    They have only just started doing evening openings. I had the spring rolls, steak and brownie from the restaurant menu.
    I'll be back there. Will have to check out their daytime food now.

Disclosure (I did the website - but would not be saying the food was great if it wasn't)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

The evening food is not for me but the website is very good
    I like the coffee bean background easy to navigate
    The breakfast menu looks tasty i might give it a go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

Had the dinner menu earlier tonight - it was delicious - best of luck to Pebbles in the new venture - always enjoy a visit there.

The website is great - very unique and different - well done

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭hobnob101

Saw somebody write a good review about their breakfasts on another thread here Bogtreader. Everybody I have talked to who has tried any of the food has been very positive about it indeed.

Thank you both for the positive feedback on the site.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Pricey, again!

I did not think it was expensive. It is not cheap, and neither is the quality or quantity of the food. I felt it was good value for money, and I'm not easy to please on that front!

Just been in for lunch a few minutes ago. One of the best sausage rolls I ever had with two salads. I am really really impressed with the food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

I think value is a better way to measure things than price.

Like everyone else I don't want to spend more than I have to, obviously, but really I'm more interested in getting quality and value from what I buy. If they are doing things to a high level and using lots of skill, then the prices could not just be justified, they could be cheap. It will be up to the community to make that decision - if they deliver, they'll do well. If they don't, they won't.

I haven't eaten here in the evening yet, but I will certainly give it a go. The menu looks interesting and the prices are reasonable enough to make it worth a go.

But, the indications are good - while this may not be the cheapest place to get food during the day, I've talked to the owner and have seen the quality of what they offer. They are into food and want to do it well - they do all their own baking and prepare their food on-site - that's pretty unusual when most cafe-style places just buy in the same cuisine de france style stuff.

Some people open cafes because it's a business like any other - they could be doing anything really - and some people do it because they really want to work with food and have a talent to do that well. Obviously it's still a business and needs to offer value, but I think these people fall into the second category. There are easier ways to do what they're doing. I hope it works out for them.

Ive just been back home in Clapham Jct and when you eat in the multitude of pubs/bars around the area, compares with Greystones the prices and quality would make you cry. Most dishes were 8-12 quid. 22 euro for Sea Bass is v expensive in my eyes.

Sure, it is pricey. I would expect a lot for a dish at that price, particularly in a local cafe-turned-weekend restaurant. I haven't eaten there though, so I don't know if it offers value or if its cheap, or if it's expensive. One things for sure, you can't compare Greystones to London.

It is the most expensive thing on the menu though - so it's not like you have to buy it. If it's a whole sea bass, prepared well and with skill, then it could represent fantastic value. Sea bass is an expensive fish and you'll have difficulty finding it 'cheaply' on any restaurant menu.

I have nothing to do with this place, for the record. I'm just glad to see a small business make an effort and take some risks. As a community, I think we should support such endeavors, particularly if they are offering value. If they are too expensive, then it will quickly impact their ability to stay in business. That's all.

If they are too expensive, then it will quickly impact their ability to stay in business. That's all.

Mate, i totally agree, but Gstones is packed to rafters with expensive restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I have had lunch here a number of times and have been impressed on all occasions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

I have only been in there for coffee but, it was a very pleasant experience and the coffee was very good. I will go back.

It turns out I missed a really good value option on the evening menu.

Two Courses for €20! ;)(it doesn't say it on the web version of the menu)

That's less than the cost of the Sea Bass main course alone.

They have also just launched a facebook competition to win a meal for two with a bottle of Prosecco to go with it.

Went for dinner last night, and I was very pleasantly surprised. Had the €20 two course special offer - a fantastic mussels starter and sirloin steak with bearnaise and home made chips main course. Mrs Turfthrower had chicken livers and then lamb shank with pea and mint mash.

The food was really good, with a good wine list, and at that price I think it offers really excellent value. they do all their wines by the glass, starting at about €4.50. The chef sent out a free extra portion of excellent home made chips for us, and when we decided not to get desert, they sent out a freebie anyway - three tasters on a single plate. They were really tasty - particularly the eton mess. Yum!

Got talking to the owner afterwards, and she said she's planning on keeping the €20 offer on for the foreseeable future, and I think that even without that offer, this place has a future. With it, it offers really good value. It's a great addition to the restaurant scene in Greystones and I know I'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Post edited as the owner has demonstrated that they are open to criticism and willing to listen to customers.

That is an all too rare occurance in the hospitality trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 deligc

Apologies that you left Pebbles feeling this way as its not our intention to offer this type of service.Apologies again.I am going to pm you.

deligc wrote: »
    Apologies that you left Pebbles feeling this way as its not our intention to offer this type of service.Apologies again.I am going to pm you.

Err... my Beluga wasnt up to scratch, Dom Perignon was a mild -2c and, errr, that 500 euro note in change, err, wasnt crisp enough.

Feel free to PM me as well :D

: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 deligc

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Err... my Beluga wasnt up to scratch, Dom Perignon was a mild -2c and, errr, that 500 euro note in change, err, wasnt crisp enough.

Feel free to PM me as well :D
    Jeepers I have the same issues everyday while nosebagging....twins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

was inn today for the first time,coffee was nice,sausie sambo was grand,wasn't up for the full irish,also at €8.95 not including the coffee(€2.50 for an americano)it had better be good to lull me away from 3Q's

also i thought the interior was nice,a lot nicer that the outside,that is to say the outside is grand but my first impression would have been 'no way would the wife agree to go there at night' when in fact i would have no problem booking a table there

my advice.......do the full breckie for a tenner including any coffee/tee of your choice,that would get me in at least once every fortnight

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Started dropping in for Coffee and bagel (after dropping kids to school). Excellent value at €4.75 or thereabouts. Then I get charged €6 or so, for the exact same. I pointed out to the guy behind the till that this was a very different price to what I had paid on the 3 previous times when one of the ladies (the owner, possibly) served me.

He ripped of the till receipt showed me the items he rang in and said - "There, that is how much it costs". I explained that at <€5 I was happy to go there, but at €6+ I could go to any of the other options available - and have done so.

Pity, as I was starting to get used to the place. Might give it one more go, but will turn and walk out the door if the same guy is behind the counter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

Had a coffee/cake here over the last few days with my wife & really liked it, neat decor & good food plus didn't think it was overly expensive.:)

Oldlegs wrote: »
    Started dropping in for Coffee and bagel (after dropping kids to school). Excellent value at €4.75 or thereabouts. Then I get charged €6 or so, for the exact same. I pointed out to the guy behind the till that this was a very different price to what I had paid on the 3 previous times when one of the ladies (the owner, possibly) served me.

He ripped of the till receipt showed me the items he rang in and said - "There, that is how much it costs". I explained that at <€5 I was happy to go there, but at €6+ I could go to any of the other options available - and have done so.

Pity, as I was starting to get used to the place. Might give it one more go, but will turn and walk out the door if the same guy is behind the counter.

i agree had a breakfast there today,was ok but at around 11 euro it was not in the same league as 3 q
    i then got 2 scones at 2.50 each,they were not good,lacking sugar and nowhere near as good as DF's quality ones
    i think they need to drop prices a little and they will do ok

won't be back again,€3.40 for a cappocino and.............:eek:€3.00 for a scone
    that's a disgrace imo

Advertisement