Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor have offered me an upgrade, will I take it or...

Options
  • 10-05-2011 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭

....wait until my contract is up in 4 months and change mobile companies? At the moment I have a slider phone on they're cheap tariff (200 minutes 200 texts for €20 a month) - but I also have a mobile broadband dongle for another €20 a month (which I hardly use). I was thinking of getting the Galaxy S and upgrading to the 400 minutes 400 texts and 2gb data for €50 a month, are there better deals out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

well this must have been a stupid question, 85 views and no opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 barron

There is iPhone for €40/month for 24 months contract in "3".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

24 month contract is a hell of a long time to tie yourself into someone though. i don't think i would be happy signing to such a long contract

• Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭opus

Have you checked out 3's sim-only plans (unless you want a new phone), for €30/month it looks like you can get 'unlimited' data, 350 units (unit=1min or 2texts) plus one free add-on (free calls to land lines or others). Think I'll be jumping ship from Meteor shortly myself!

Thanks for the replies Lads. I dont particularly want an iphone - TBH I dont like anything to do with Apple, was thinking more down the lines of a Galaxy S? I would need a new phone so I suppose the 3 deal is not much use unless they do a deal with an android phone? I've no experience with data on Meteor - how fast is it compared to other networks? I heard that the 3 network has bad coverage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

3 network does not work (unless you toggle airplane mode every 5 minutes). Meteor network does work. You decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

kingaaa wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies Lads. I dont particularly want an iphone - TBH I dont like anything to do with Apple, was thinking more down the lines of a Galaxy S? I would need a new phone so I suppose the 3 deal is not much use unless they do a deal with an android phone? I've no experience with data on Meteor - how fast is it compared to other networks? I heard that the 3 network has bad coverage?

Last November or there abouts I bought a galaxy s (brillant phone btw) from 3 for like 79 euro I pay 40 a month, I have signal where ever I've been so far (living in cork) and for that 40 I also get all you can eat data, which can be tethered to the laptop. In my opinion it's the best deal out there at the moment, I think the 3 coverage is down to where you live really, as long as you're not crazy rural you should be finel, but I can only draw on my own circumstances as a comparision. I'd highly recommend the Galaxy S reguardless of your operater though :)....ohhh one thing is though it's an 18 month contract on three though so that may be a deciding factor.

3 internet kept cutting out for me in Dublin city center. Their network issues are nothing to do with reception. Does not affect voice, only internet. "Having a signal" means nothing, 3 will show as having a signal but still not be able to use internet without reset.

srsly78 wrote: »
    3 internet kept cutting out for me in Dublin city center. Their network issues are nothing to do with reception. Does not affect voice, only internet. "Having a signal" means nothing, 3 will show as having a signal but still not be able to use internet without reset.

this is a bit worrying, dont want to tie myself to a 2 year contract if the data service is no good. Pity, at the prices they are charging would gladly have signed up long-term.

The most worrying part is that the problem has existed for several years and 3 won't even acknowledge it, let alone try to fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I work in D4, Live in D18 and am on the road alot with work.

I've had not data issues. In the arse hole of no where data can be weak but 95% its fine for viewing web pages etc.

Some people just have the hump with 3

godtabh wrote: »
    I work in D4, Live in D18 and am on the road alot with work.

I've had not data issues. In the arse hole of no where data can be weak but 95% its fine for viewing web pages etc.

Some people just have the hump with 3

anybody else in the Dublin area not happy with the 3 data sevice?

Over on the 3 forum there are a lot of them. I'm not with 3 anymore, I ragequit because of this issue last year.

Issue affects "always on" connection. Some people don't even use internet on their phone, so are unaffected. One guy said "3 is perfect, I never had any problems with it". Then the scrub mentions that he only uses wifi :rolleyes:

Being "on the road" means you are less likely to experience this. Issue is most common when you go indoors and it switches to 2g because of attenuation, when you come back out the device will not hop back onto 3g and your internetz is dead. This is an intermittent problem and some people may not even notice it (still shows as connected). Maybe it does work ok for some very lucky people, but just because it works for YOU doesn't mean it works for other people. There are so many people moaning about the same problem, do you think we are suffering from some kind of collective hallucination?

edit: Here is the current raeg thread about 3: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056079085
    Notice the complete lack of support or acknowledgement.

Also, I have yet to meet a person that is unaffected by this. Some people are able to put up with it tho because they don't use internet that often. It just means you have to reset your phone whenever you want to use the net. This is a deal-breaker for other people like me however, we expect our phones to work as designed. I keep Skype running in the background, people should be able to call me on it at anytime. Same with google chat.

moar edit: wahhhhh when you edit you lose the thanks :(

Over on the 3 forum there are a lot of them. I'm not with 3 anymore, I ragequit because of this issue last year.

Issue affects "always on" connection. Some people don't even use internet on their phone, so are unaffected. One guy said "3 is perfect, I never had any problems with it". Then the scrub mentions that he only uses wifi :rolleyes:

Being "on the road" means you are less likely to experience this. Issue is most common when you go indoors and it switches to 2g because of attenuation, when you come back out the device will not hop back onto 3g and your internetz is dead. This is an intermittent problem and some people may not even notice it (still shows as connected). Maybe it does work ok for some very lucky people, but just because it works for YOU doesn't mean it works for other people. There are so many people moaning about the same problem, do you think we are suffering from some kind of collective hallucination?

edit: Here is the current raeg thread about 3: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056079085

Also, I have yet to meet a person that is unaffected by this. Some people are able to put up with it tho because they don't use internet that often. It just means you have to reset your phone whenever you want to use the net. This is a deal-breaker for other people like me however, we expect our phones to work as designed. I keep Skype running in the background, people should be able to call me on it at anytime. Same with google chat.

Thanks for the heads-up srsly78!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

I'm with 3, now use about 2GB data per month on my phone. Work in Dublin city centre and live in north county and have no problems with data on the network. Using a Galaxy S and switches between 2G and 3G no problem.
    Remember OP people mainly come here to complain/look for help. If your not having any problems chances are your not here complaining.
    Also threads may be long but also remember people re-post a lot so if you have a thread with 300 posts it's not 300 different people it's a discussion with people re posting over and over talking to each other

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I am in and out of the office alot during the week at client meetings (3-4 a day some times) so would be in and out of buildings alot.

The iphone does switch to the "0" and then then too 3g a few seconds/minutes later. This doesnt affect the receipt of emails as they are still pushed through. It doesnt affect viewing web pages/facebook apps but they are slower. The RTE app can be slow to reload (but I think that is more down to the qulaity of the app or is connected.)

Go tell those people on the linked thread that they just "have the hump". I'm not with 3 so I'm over it.

Advertisement