Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wrong Address on Registration Certificate

Options
  • 10-05-2011 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this is not the best place for this but not sure wheere else it would go.

Yesterday I got post from the Depertmant of Transport in Shannon containing a certificate of registration and licencsing for a vehicle I do not own. The Certificate is addressed to someone else but they have used my full address!

Afaik i am the only person that has lived at this address since the estate was built and am living here a few years so i doubt it is from a previous occupant. I do not know the person named on the certificate and do not remember seeing any beige 08TS VW passat around the area.

Could this be some scam to avoid speeding fines and penalty points by giving the wrong address on the tax forms when buying a vehicle? should i inform the Guardai about this or just drop it into the tax office here in carlow?

Maybe i am just being overly dramatic but i feel if anyone was buying a car they would ensure the correct address was on the tax/change of ownership forms unless they were up to something dodgey?

has anyone else come across this type of thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Is it possible the people in Shannon mistyped the house number? Go down to the local Garda station or public library and ask to see the electoral register to see if that person lives nearby. If you can't find a person with that name in your estate then write a quick note, paper clip it to the cert and drop it off in the local motor tax office.

Alternatively you could ring the folk in Shannon and explain the situation, I'm sure they scan the registration certs. that come in for change of ownership, give them the details and ask them to verify the new address that was written on the old cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Buffman

If you live in an estate that has a similar name to other estates in the area, maybe have a quick look around at the houses with numbers the same as yours.

If you've no joy, then just return the cert to shannon with a cover letter explaining the issue. Maybe keep a copy yourself just in case a Garda ever does come calling looking for the registered owner.

As it's not your name on it I wouldn't be overly concerned about it being a scam.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

a former neighbor of mine used a scam that sounds very familiar to this. He creating fake records and purchasing cars on HP using address of people around the local town. Since the address was right, he was successful and managed to get more than 1 car on HP, he's not been prosecuted for this, as the credit institutions were too embarrassed to have to admit in open court that he scammed them.
    Personally, I'd photocopy the cert, and return it to Shannon, via reg post, stating that the person listed, is not known to you, and has never lived at that address.
    Another of their scams was registering a second hand car at a random address, and not worry about parking fines and speeding tickets, I believe they taxed the car in person in the tax office. (pre points era)

Let the folks in Shannon figure it out. No body fills in the wrong address on the form when getting a new car!

Advertisement