Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Broadband Dongle - Can you Re-use

Options
  • 10-05-2011 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Does anyone know if you buy a mobile broadband dongle if these can be re-used? I'll be moving to the UK in a few months so if possible I'd like to buy one which could be used when I get over there.

Also, I'm a Linux (Ubuntu) user. Read on the Meteor site that their dongle is only supported for MS and Mac OS. Does anyone have particular recommendations for a carrier for those using Linux?

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 woollysocks

Does anyone know if you buy a mobile broadband dongle if these can be re-used? I'll be moving to the UK in a few months so if possible I'd like to buy one which could be used when I get over there.

Also, I'm a Linux (Ubuntu) user. Read on the Meteor site that their dongle is only supported for MS and Mac OS. Does anyone have particular recommendations for a carrier for those using Linux?

Cheers!

Just been Googling on the Linux question and found this article which hopefully will work when I get sorted. http://frontlinesms.ning.com/forum/topics/ubuntu-linux-driver-for-huawei
    Hope it proves helpful for someone on the forum.

I reckon I'm going to go with Meteor as they have the best value out there at the moment. Perhaps there's a way to unblock the thing when I get over to the UK :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Generally carriers lock these to their network as they would do to phones. So in order to work with other sims you need to unlock the modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 joefurl

I have a vodafone modem and i've checked with them, they're not locked.

Advertisement