Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do An Post even pretend to care about customer service any more?

Options
  • 10-05-2011 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭

For years my postman has made no effort to deliver any package bigger than a letter, so I have to traipse down to my local post office to pick up the package.

Today I get a note in my door to say that in future I will have to visit "Dublin Delivery Services Unit 8" in the back end of nowhere to collect my post.

What are we getting when we pay for postage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

It's an exaggeration to say that a postman won't deliver anything bigger than a letter. Every day he brings out packages of all sizes, and if someone doesn't have a box big enough to take a package then he leaves a note asking the customer to collect it. It's a nuisance for him to be writing notes, and an even greater nuisance to have to bring packages back to his office.

As for the Delivery Office being inconveniently located for you, do you expect in an area such as Dublin 8 that there to be an office located on every street? Get a bigger letterbox. You're in the 21st century now. The Post Office is a business, not a charity.

What are we getting when we pay for postage? Well, for a start, you get a letter delivered to any part of Ireland for a mere 55 cents. That's about 7-8 letters for the price of a pint! Do you expect better value than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Or, god forbid, he could ring the fúcking doorbell and hand it to its owner, saving all concerned a world of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

sdonn wrote: »
    Or, god forbid, he could ring the fúcking doorbell and hand it to its owner, saving all concerned a world of hassle.

Right.

I've had a "Sorry you weren't at home" slip handed to me. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

More wild exaggerations there! Of course he knocks on the door. He's as anxious to get rid of the weight from his bag as you are to receive it. Do you think he likes carrying it around?

Sometimes a postman might find himself with a package which alone entirely fills his bag. If he was to take it out he'd have no room for the rest of his mail and therefore must ask the customer to collect it themselves.

Take a look at the photo attached and see how much a postman has to carry on his FIRST load for the day. Notice the three mailbags AND the large packages. Won't deliver anything larger than a letter, eh?

Mail horse.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭jim69

letters are delivered by postman.anything biggers by van.they knock once than put over sized post letter form tell u to collect at depot.most of it would fit in letterbox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

No wild exaggerations from me anyway. The guy didn't have my delivery with him - just a "Sorry you weren't home" note so I had to hoof it to the depot myself. I'm by no means the only person who can tell you of this happening, either.

I buy stuff online, and I work part time - I'm almost always at home when I'm expecting a delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Right.

I've had a "Sorry you weren't at home" slip handed to me. :rolleyes:

Yea sure you did.

Not a Dublin City Forum issue OP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement