Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Creedmoor Cup 2011

• 10-05-2011 7:54pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As some of you may have heard the MNSCI will play host to the Creedmoor Cup on the 19th - 26th June. The week will also include the Irish Open.

The match is a revival of the competition that was held over 130 years ago between Ireland and America. Mr John Sigler (President of the NRA) presented Mr Noel Kelly (Chairman of the NRAI) with a challenge to once again hold the Creedmoor Cup which was happily accepted.

The match itself will be held on the 25th of June after the Irish Open.

There is some information on the MNSCI website, however recently a report was done by the people of the 6mmBr site, and i thought some of you may like a read of it.

Creedmoor Report on 6mmBr website.

This will be one of, if not the largest shoots of the year. It a competition steeped in history and can only shine a positive light on shooting sports.

tullamore04.jpg
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

That's a great report and the photos of the range look fantastic. I'm in Munich for the world cup until the 22nd, but will try get down after that to spectate. It's going to be a hell of a show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

If I am around I will try and offer a helping hand what ever way I can.
    Whether that's working in the butts or general admin.

It will be nice to see the Midlands compared to some of the finest Rifle Ranges in the world!

Now I am depending on Team Ireland to win!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I'm looking forward to this it should be a great event to witness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

i'm excited for the Irish team. i had a chance to talk to a couple of them the other day while at the S.T.A.G.S shoot. a sound bunch of lads and they have bin working hard for this for the past few years.
    i hope i can make it up there to see them in action

best of luck lads;)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

Sounds good all right. There's a Europe vs America as well as the Creedmoor. Worth a visit just to spectate, but there's also an Open - I wonder what the rules are to get to shoot in that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Rosahane

What are the arrangements for spectators attending?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The MNSCI will release information on spectators, visitors, schedules, etc shortly. As soon as they do i will post here.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

is the creedmoor cup been shot at 1200yards? will mnsci members still be allowed to use the other ranges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    is the creedmoor cup been shot at 1200yards? will mnsci members still be allowed to use the other ranges?

It really only affects a couple of days for most members anyway.

I for one look forward to getting a pic with the President of the NRAI & NRA

One to show the grandkids!

Mr.Flibble wrote: »
    Sounds good all right. There's a Europe vs America as well as the Creedmoor. Worth a visit just to spectate, but there's also an Open - I wonder what the rules are to get to shoot in that?

Membership to the NRAI is needed to shoot in comps like this. Membership can be gotten by club/range affiliation.
    Rosahane wrote: »
    What are the arrangements for spectators attending?

Spectators are more than welcome. There are a few rules/guidelines to follow for everyone's safety without ruining the enjoyment factor.
    • All children must be strictly supervised.
    • No children under 16 can be near/next to the firing itself. Even with ear protectors childrens hearing is more "fragile" and so for their sake they must be kept a safe distance from the firing line.
    • All spectators must have ear protection.
    • Bring a spotting scope, telescope or binoculars. Not a rule more a tip. Will make watching the shooting more enjoyable when you see the boards being scored.
    The areas that spectators/visitors can walk around will be clearly marked. Most every area will be accessible. There will be display stands from numerous merchants showing the latest in scopes, shooting acessories, custom rifle building, stock making, etc. Not to mention food and refreshment counters to make sure none of us go hungry.
    tommyboy26 wrote: »
    is the creedmoor cup been shot at 1200yards?

No. The shoots will take pace at 800, 900, and 1,000 yards.
    will mnsci members still be allowed to use the other ranges?

Yes. Members can still make use of the other ranges while the shoot is going on.

Needless to say lads this will be the biggest shoot of the year. Its an opportunity to see some of the best shooters in the world doing what they do best, and anyone with any interest in long range shooting should definitely take some time and come and see it.

The shooting will start on Wednesday continuing through the week and finishing up with the Creedmoor match which will be the final shoot of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

On all the other days what type of competitions are taking place? Or is the whole week going to be shot at 800, 900 and 1000 yards?

All the competitions will be shot at 800, 900, and 1,000 yards. These are the standard distances for long range shooting. Anything under 800 yards down to 600 yards is classed, under comp rules, as medium range, and distances under 500 yards are classed, again under comp rules, as short range.

Other competitions are shot at distances of 1,000, 1,100, and 1,200 yards such as match rifle.

There will be a mixture of individual shoots, team shoots, Europe-vs-America, and of course the Creedmoor.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Galway Elvis

Ezridax wrote: »
    Membership to the NRAI is needed to shoot in comps like this. Membership can be gotten by club/range affiliation.

Is membership of the NRAI something you get by default when you join the MNSCI or is there forms to be filled out to achieve same?

Good luck to everyone competing during the week.

Yes. You are affiliated by being a member of the MNSCI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭patsat

I had planned to visit during the Creedmoor cup to spectate and also to join the range but got persuaded to spend the week and money in Gran Canaria :(

Sickened I'm missin it but should get the money soon after to finally join the range.

I thought that the 1200 yard range was built for this comp?? Thats a bit strange if its not being used for it?? :confused::confused::confused:

patsat wrote: »
    I thought that the 1200 yard range was built for this comp??

It was.
    Thats a bit strange if its not being used for it?? :confused::confused::confused:

The rules of FTR only allow for up to 1,000 yard shooting. While building the new range the decision was made to increase it to 1,200 to accomodate other disciplines that require that distance. I have recently been trying my hand at match rifle and it is shot at 1,000 - 1,200 yards.

Hence the reason the range goes from 800 to 1,200 yards. Why stop at 1,000 and have to extend at a later date?

So at what distances does the new range have targets on??

I don't mean this in a smart ass way so forgive me if it comes across as such.

Have you ever been on a range?

The targets are static. The backstop, targets, etc are all built. Then we build individual firing points at 800 out to 1,200 yards. When a shooter wants to shoot whatever distance he selects the target appropriate to that distance and the lads in the butts put it for him. He then travels to the appropriate firing line and shoots from there. So the targets never move but depending on the chosen distance the shooter can move from one firing point/line to another.

Each distance has its own target. For example the targets used at 1,200 yards are larger than 800. Also each discipline has its respective targets. FTR has scoring rings going outward from the centre in 5 inch intervals. The centre being 10". Match rifle shooting the centre is 24" (if i'm not mistaken). As with the shorter distances. 600 yards targets have a 3" centre. 300 yard targets have 1.5" centres.

Ah thats after clearing it up quiet a bit! :o

The only range I was ever on was the sheltered range in the midlands which of course has a set firing line and three different backstops at 100,200,300!

What I was thinking that the 1200 yard range was only a 1200 yard range and did not have targets at other distances hence it couldnt be used for the Creedmoor Cup!

It all makes sense to me now :o pity I cant make it up tho :(

I see how you could be confused.

Well the 1,200 (or Creedmoor range as it is called) is the opposite of the sheltered ranges. They have a fixed firing point and multiple backstops. The Creedmoor range has a fixed backstop and multiple firing points.

Creedmoor Range.
    tullamore01.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

Yes. You are affiliated by being a member of the MNSCI.

Does it have to be MNSCI, or are there other clubs in the NRAI?

At the moment there are no other clubs affiliated to the NRAI.

To be associated/affiliated to the NRAI a club must have a minimum of a 600 yard range. I would love to see more ranges being built. It genuinely would not be a huge amount of money. A club could start small and work up to more shooting bays, ranges, etc over a period of time.

Any word on the schedule yet or even general start times?

Wednesday and Thursday will be individual competitions. Shooting will begin early morning, but continue for the entire day allowing for F-Open and FTR to shoot over the three distances.

Friday will be the "Ryder Cup" of shooting. America-vs-Europe.

Saturday will be day 1 the Creedmoor itself. Ireland-vs-America.

Sunday will be day 2 of the Creedmoor followed by awards ceremony, presentations, announcements displays, etc.

There will also be display stands over Saturday and Sunday (possibly the week days, but i'll have to confirm that). They will be showing rifle stocks, Custom rifles, gunsmithing, scopes, accessories, etc, etc.

As said though the shooting will be full day events so feel free to drop down anytime any day from Wednesday onwards.

Is the Irish open event on the 19th - 21st?

I will hope to show my face as much as I can but don't know my hours for next week yet. Fingers crossed they work out.

How are the Irish team set?

dev110 wrote:
    Is the Irish open event on the 19th - 21st?
    To be honest, and i'll check this out tomorrow, but i do not think any of the shooting events are actually the Irish Open. Its a name the shoot got tagged with and it stuck. I could be completely wrong here, but as said i'll check it out and let ya know.
    I will hope to show my face as much as I can but don't know my hours for next week yet. Fingers crossed they work out.

Will be a great event so worth going to see. Hopefully you'll make it.
    How are the Irish team set?

If you are asking about the squad line up, i haven't a clue. Thats info the Captain will know.

If you are asking how they are getting on in preperation then it would be good. The lads are a solid bunch and have spent a long time shooting with each other. They have put more time than they would care to admit into their shooting and in these times of little money, etc thats not an easy task.

I'm expecting good things from them and know they will do themselves proud.

If you are asking about the squad line up, i haven't a clue. Thats info the Captain will know.

If you are asking how they are getting on in preperation then it would be good. The lads are a solid bunch and have spent a long time shooting with each other. They have put more time than they would care to admit into their shooting and in these times of little money, etc thats not an easy task.

I'm expecting good things from them and know they will do themselves proud.

I was asking about preparation. That's great news I will be expecting good results from the bunch of ye so.
    How many are on the Irish squad and how are they chosen? And also the Europe squad?
    How are all of you finding the pilot scheme? Have all of you had enough time to develop an accurate round for everyone's rifles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

best of luck to the Irish team..would love to be there

Just thought you might like a look at the pond/lake just off the 1,000 yard firing point at the MNSCI. I'll have a few more pictures tomorrow.

picture.php?albumid=939&pictureid=9833

• Advertisement

Looking good. I am going to be there tomorrow. Hope the lads are keeping calm and collected. All the work is done now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

i might see you down there, weather permitting, what time would be best to go at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Has anyone a link that cites who is shooting what?

I would like to see what the big boys are shooting: rifle, scope, barrel,...

ormondprop wrote: »
    i might see you down there, weather permitting, what time would be best to go at

I don't know but I am guessing around 10ish. That's when I will be there

FISMA wrote: »
    Has anyone a link that cites who is shooting what?

I would like to see what the big boys are shooting: rifle, scope, barrel,...

There is no link. Each lad has a slightly different set up. Its more a case of come and see. For example here is a couple of pics of shooters on the line and the 1,000 yard view. (You'll see the 600 yard backstop from the windmill range to the right of the picture)

picture.php?albumid=939&pictureid=9847

picture.php?albumid=939&pictureid=9848

picture.php?albumid=939&pictureid=9849

Here is the setup i'll be using. Its a Savage FTR (originally). I kept the action and changed the barrel to a 30" TrueFlite medium profile. Its 1:13 twist. I had the action trued, and glass and pillar bedded. I got the stock made by Enda Welsh. It topped off with a Nightforce 8-32x56 Benchrest model sitting on a Near 20 MOA rail in NF rings.

picture.php?albumid=939&pictureid=8433

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Shane.sf

That's a fairly sexy gun. Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

The guy in the first photo sort of wasted his money on that mat didn't he :D

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

teamusacreedmoor002.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Met Team USA,today on dollymount strand a Great week for Irish shooting sports,best of luck to everyone

Some of the USA & Irish Team Members on Dollymount.
    (Front left) Sandra Froman Past President NRA visited to make a special presentation from the NRA of America.

picture.php?albumid=939&pictureid=9859

Gloria Fulton Hugaby Great Grandaughter of Major Henry Fulton who shot on the orignal Creedmoor team on Dollymount Strand.

picture.php?albumid=939&pictureid=9860

Some of the USA team at the Civic Reception held in City Hall Dublin after visit to Dollymount Strand

picture.php?albumid=939&pictureid=9861

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Looks very well indeed Ezri!

A quick picture of all the Irish and American FTR shooters on the firing line today. Last day of training/practice so tomorrow the fun begins.

picture.php?albumid=939&pictureid=9882

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Best of luck to all the Irish lads in the competitons

:cool:

The lads are doing great. The team spirit is terrific, and everyone is in sync. Really looking forward to the next few days.

You can shoot anywhere in the world, but until you've shot in the Midlands you haven't experienced true changing winds. :D:)

The picture above doesn't show the torrential downpours suffered over the day, but all shooters toughed it out.

Remember the comp starts tomorrow o if anyone is free drop on over. The weekend will be a good one with the Creedmoor itself being shot, and display stands catering to all types of shooter's needs.

Definitely worth a trip over for anyone interested in long range target shooting. Plus you can get talking to both the Irish FTR team and the USA team including some of the guys from Team Savage.

Is Sunday the big day or is it Saturday??

The Creedmoor match will run both days so either is a good day to come along. The display stands etc. will on both days also. However Sunday will be the second/final day of Creedmor shooting, and the awards will be presented afterwards.

Thanks I hope I can make it up at the weekend.

What I ment was if I was going for 1 day then will Sunday be the best.

Thanks Ezridax and good luck to everyone tomorrow!!

DSC00627.jpg

DSC00628.jpg

DSC00629.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 applelodge

Any Results for the F-Open

applelodge wrote: »
    Any Results for the F-Open

I only toke photos of the F/TR cause I knew some doing it and knew no one in the F Open

Nice one dev ;)

I know some of the Irish lads names.

Any chance of a full list of names with countries?

....You can shoot anywhere in the world, but until you've shot in the Midlands you haven't experienced true changing winds. :D:)

Have you tried An Riocht, in Castelmaine? :eek: Great range to put manners on your confidence :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement