Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What To Get / 4 x vertex 2 60gb , or 2 vertex 3 120gb

Options
  • 10-05-2011 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

hi folks,

trying to deicde what to go for , 4 x vertex 2 60gb vs 2 vertex 3 120gb.

what do yuo think, for a fast ssd. or should i just get 1.

what yous think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

maxokeeffe wrote: »
    hi folks,

trying to deicde what to go for , 4 x vertex 2 60gb vs 2 vertex 3 120gb.

what do yuo think, for a fast ssd. or should i just get 1.

what yous think.

Buy a RAID card if your thinking of 4x Vertex 2's. I think one of the best advantages to SSD's is the faster boot time, which is made redundant by having to initialise RAID drivers. Just out of interest, what do you need THAT much disk performance for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You've already got a computer with 4x60GB Vertex 2s (that you were trying to sell on Adverts, as well as here). Are you going to be doing another two weeks of CAD work or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭maxokeeffe

Serephucus wrote: »
    You've already got a computer with 4x60GB Vertex 2s (that you were trying to sell on Adverts, as well as here). Are you going to be doing another two weeks of CAD work or something?

not selling it mate,, keeping it know for work,

thats why i need info on whats best the drive setup

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Buy a RAID card if your thinking of 4x Vertex 2's. I think one of the best advantages to SSD's is the faster boot time, which is made redundant by having to initialise RAID drivers. Just out of interest, what do you need THAT much disk performance for ?

i do 3d rendering mate in the work i do, so i get a grant to buy parts etc.

thanks

not selling it mate,, keeping it know for work,

thats why i need info on whats best the drive setup

Whats the speeds on those drives ? RAID 0 I presume ?

• Advertisement

Whats the speeds on those drives ? RAID 0 I presume ?

havnt got them mate , just trying to figure what would be the best investment

So the computer you posted in the "Your Main PC" thread, wasn't complete? Do you have the drives or no, because it looks like, from the pictures you posted, that you do.

If you already have the drives, keep what you've got.

Serephucus wrote: »
    So the computer you posted in the "Your Main PC" thread, wasn't complete? Do you have the drives or no, because it looks like, from the pictures you posted, that you do.

If you already have the drives, keep what you've got.

i havnt got them mate, this is the finishing built ,, the last part, so what would u do ,

If I was using a computer for CAD? I wouldn't bother with SSDs at all to be perfectly honest. I'd just pick up a 3TB Barracuda XT and be done with it.

i havnt got them mate, this is the finishing built ,, the last part, so what would u do ,

1xSSD for boot and programs, RAID 10 Samsung F3's/WD Cav. Blacks for storage, project files, best of both worlds. I know 3D rendering is intensive, but I dont think it would saturate multiple SSD's

• Advertisement

1xSSD for boot and programs, RAID 10 Samsung F3's/WD Cav. Blacks for storage, project files, best of both worlds. I know 3D rendering is intensive, but I dont think it would saturate multiple SSD's

so you think i should go with just 1 vertex 3 , ??

so you think i should go with just 1 vertex 3 , ??

Yes, more than enough

i use programmes like /// AIR. ARC+ Render Pro, Maxwell Render just main programes i would use for work etc..
    thanks

Yes, more than enough

thanks v much mate, appreciate your help

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

if you got the cash i reckon vertex 3, would be crazy speeds and way more than you would need. but if you can afford it why the hell not. but defo over kill. reckon 2 vertex 2 would be perfect with raid controller. and if any cash left 2 f3

if you got the cash i reckon vertex 3, would be crazy speeds and way more than you would need. but if you can afford it why the hell not. but defo over kill. reckon 2 vertex 2 would be perfect with raid controller. and if any cash left 2 f3

well the comp i built was built on a grant i got from work, so ill see what the cost works out etc,.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

Nice.. wish work would give me a grant to build a pc.

yeah thats what i would do tbh, but i am sure other guys might have different opinions

Nice.. wish work would give me a grant to build a pc.

yeah thats what i would do tbh, but i am sure other guys might have different opinions

thanks mate for your interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

There is no point in raid 0 with ssd's. Raid 0 has been used on mechanical drives as it improves seek time which on mechanical drives can be a few miliseconds, seeking from alternating drives improves this. But ssd's have virtually zero seek time.
    Raid 0 doesn't give much extra speed, less than 40% from my experience, which is probably the speed you'll see from the next gen ssd's, why not save your money buying 4 now and buy one now and then get a next gen faster one later

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    There is no point in raid 0 with ssd's. Raid 0 has been used on mechanical drives as it improves seek time which on mechanical drives can be a few miliseconds, seeking from alternating drives improves this. But ssd's have virtually zero seek time.
    Raid 0 doesn't give much extra speed, less than 40% from my experience, which is probably the speed you'll see from the next gen ssd's, why not save your money buying 4 now and buy one now and then get a next gen faster one later

HI THERE

APPRECIATE THAT INFORMATION, so buying 2 vertex3 would be a waste of money

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

HI THERE

APPRECIATE THAT INFORMATION, so buying 2 vertex3 would be a waste of money

thanks

Using them in raid 0 is, there is little or no performance gain and you've the risk of losing all if one fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I think those Vetex 3's can read / write about 550MB/s / 500MB/s so that's nearly saturating a SATA 600 port by itself.

So yeah, RAID 0 is pretty pointless (the SATA 600 controller is the limiting factor).

I didn't realise the Vertex 3 were that fast. I thought they were around 300MB/s, in which case RAID 0 could make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I think those Vetex 3's can read / write about 550MB/s / 500MB/s so that's nearly saturating a SATA 600 port by itself.

So yeah, RAID 0 is pretty pointless (the SATA 600 controller is the limiting factor).

I didn't realise the Vertex 3 were that fast. I thought they were around 300MB/s, in which case RAID 0 could make sense.
    they'd still work in RAID 0 because the RAID would split the throughput between the 2 SATA ports, essentially doubling "available" throuput, much like using 2 vertex 2 SSD's RAID0 doesnt get bottlenecked by SATA2.

the real question is would you actually notice a difference between 550mb/s read speed and 1gb/s.

at these prices you're probably better off with OCZ RevoDrive PCI-Express SSD's or similar.

and this was a quick google benchmark of V3 256gb RAID 0'd, so i cant account for the accuracy. the write speed also looks a little low.

2x240r0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Jesus... That's me sold!:eek:

*reaches for credit card*

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    they'd still work in RAID 0 because the RAID would split the throughput between the 2 SATA ports, essentially doubling "available" throuput, much like using 2 vertex 2 SSD's RAID0 doesnt get bottlenecked by SATA2.

the real question is would you actually notice a difference between 550mb/s read speed and 1gb/s.

at these prices you're probably better off with OCZ RevoDrive PCI-Express SSD's or similar.

and this was a quick google benchmark of V3 256gb RAID 0'd, so i cant account for the accuracy. the write speed also looks a little low.

I was trying to get some benchmarks of RAID 0 for them, but couldn't find anything. Plenty of single drive reviews...

I completely forgot that each port would give its total available bandwidth to each drive, doubling the throughput. Don't know why I though it would be a max of 600MB/s. I suppose if you constantly transfer large files you'd definitely notice a difference. If you're editing movies, huge photoshop files etc you would probably notice - but even the single drive is so fast, would you actually need it?
    tman wrote: »
    Jesus... That's me sold!:eek:

*reaches for credit card*

Yeah they're incredibly fast.

You want to see something drool-worthy?
    ass_22.04.11.jpg
    atto_22.04.11.jpg

What you're looking at is 4x OCZ Vertex 3 on an LSI MegaRaid 9260-4i.

More bandwidth than any human could possibly need. Thats a 1.5hr HD film being read or written every second (according to ATTO).

And finally, 2 x Vertex 3's on the P67 SATA600 controller

Here's 2 x Vertex 3 120's RAID 0
    atto2x120gbp67.jpg

Advertisement