Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disclosure of Sale Agreed Price

Options
  • 10-05-2011 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I recently went sale agreed on a property and am in the final stages of the sale.
    I have since discovered that both the asking price and sale agreed price have been posted on a web forum along with a link to the property.

Does anyone have any experience of this or any advice on how I can handle this "disclosure"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

If its property pin or ask about money or something similar you could always pm the poster and ask them to edit the comment

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mrmitty

jenwren wrote: »
    I recently went sale agreed on a property and am in the final stages of the sale.
    I have since discovered that both the asking price and sale agreed price have been posted on a web forum along with a link to the property.

Does anyone have any experience of this or any advice on how I can handle this "disclosure"?

Why do you care?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

jenwren wrote: »

What exactly is the problem? You didn't sign a non disclosure pact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Yeah, I'm confused, is how much you bought your house for something you're ashamed of?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Maybe the op wants to keep it private. I know I would

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The only people authorised to publish this information would be the buyer or seller.

Anyone else would be in breach of the data protection act.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

An estate agent told me how much 3 properties sold for in the same estate as I was looking however have no proof they are correct.

If the property database happens it will be common knowledge however its not nice seeing that data posted, maybe it was a jealous underbidder.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mrmitty

godtabh wrote: »
    Maybe the op wants to keep it private. I know I would

Why?

Perhaps Ireland would not be so deep in dung if there was a bit more transactional transparency and a lot less cute hoorisim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jenwren

Balmed Out wrote: »
    If its property pin or ask about money or something similar you could always pm the poster and ask them to edit the comment
    Balmed Out, have taken your advice and gone down that route. Thanks a mil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Use to work as an estate agent for a number of years. We were always told never to give out sale agreed prices, over the phone.

But at the end of the day its for sale by 'Private Treaty', not everyone wants their business handed out to whatever nosey neighbour decides to pick up the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

seamus wrote: »
    The only people authorised to publish this information would be the buyer or seller.

Even at that I believe that BOTH parties must agree to the disclosure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Under bidders?
    Estate agent says "house is now at €300,000" do you want to bid more

Underbidder says "No"

Estate agent goes to all bidders on the property looks for more offers get's none, house then goes sale agreed. 10 under bidders could know the price.

Bought at Auction?
    Everybody at the auction and their cousin knows the price and the asking price. Lets post prices on an internet forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dymo wrote: »
    Under bidders?
    Estate agent says "house is now at €300,000" do you want to bid more

Underbidder says "No"

Estate agent goes to all bidders on the property looks for more offers get's none, house then goes sale agreed. 10 under bidders could know the price.
    Strictly speaking the estate agent should never tell another bidder what someone else has bid. Obviously the person could fish for it and figure it out, but it would be illegal of them to tell someone, that "Another bidder has bid €200,000".
    Bought at Auction?
    Everybody at the auction and their cousin knows the price and the asking price. Lets post prices on an internet forum.
    An auction is public, as such there's no expectation of privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Strictly speaking the estate agent should never tell another bidder what someone else has bid. Obviously the person could fish for it and figure it out, but it would be illegal of them to tell someone, that "Another bidder has bid €200,000".

I disagree,

Private Treaty governs the selling price (which they can't disclose), up until then it would be unethical to give false bids to under bidders, which they would be doing if they didn't give the correct price. They don't disclose the names of the bidders just the price the property is at, unless of course it's done by tender.

Estate agents are held to a a legal obligation of one party to act in the best interest of another. The data protection act is for information held on people, a bid could be an oral bid on the phone and not recorded on any computer system or book.
    but it would be illegal of them to tell someone, that "Another bidder has bid €200,000".

Source?

Advertisement