Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short Story Idea Help!...

• 10-05-2011 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

hey!
    can anyone help me my ideas are all so crap i need an idea for a short story

"where two unusual or eccentric characters meet for the first time"

or

"isn't that funny and sad too..."

thanks, i really just need a few ideas to get me started :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭turbobaby

doyler101 wrote: »
    hey!

or

1 - two people meet at the top of a ski slope. Their lives have taken different paths to get to th top (?), and then something about them going down together (i.e. dying!) ??

2 - something at a funeral? memories of the dead bloke?

2 -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I'll be honest, my creativity sucks for short stories and I hate writing them. You could always practice at personal essays instead, I find them far easier and much more genuine-sounding because they're from my own experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nb430

Protip: Don't write your story about an animal. I have mine written about a deer, unfortunately, you're much more likely to get either a set of pictures or a normal text inspired question based on humans and a residential/suburban setting than a forest or animals. I only realised it afterwards when I reviewed the exam papers. Definitely not writing a new one, that one took me about 12 hours to perfect so I'm just going to roll with it and see what happens. : )

I'm not sure what kind of person you are though so it's hard for me to advise anything. If you're more keen on person to person conflict I couldn't really suggest anything, but for person to environment try think about natural disasters, mountain climbing, plane crash... anything! But try and make two characters. That way if a dialogue comes up it will be much easier to adapt. Not sure how helpful this was considering I just started rambling, but a quick google search could yield something either. All you need is a title and it usually gets much easier as you think around and expand it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭turbobaby

Remember a short story isn't a story that is short, it is a story that follows certain rules. I cant remember tgem now but i think that there must be a 'key moment' or turning point. Just one rule. Im sure google can help u with the others...

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Lavattack

hey!

or

Talk about Ireland maybe.
    Funny- We thought we had everything.
    -We spent billions stupidly...Pick some of the greatest waste of money idea's that happened...The FAS website being one! (They spent something in the region of 4million to develop their website)
    -How we all went out/went on holidays/bought more houses etc
    -We didnt even want to win the eurovision- we sent dustin

Sad- unemployment at the moment
    -The bailout
    -The banks
    -General depression around
    -Laughing stock of the world after agreeing to pay 6% interest on the loan
    -The fact we are considering bringing back the Punt in order to void all our debts.
    -The head shops are gone :(
    -the bailout

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

For "isn't that funny and sad" I wrote about my granny going with Alzheimers going missing, and us chasing around the town looking for her.

I always sucked at short stories :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Oh, I did the two unusual/eccentric characters meet one before..

I wrote it about a gypsy bride and an overly-posh high class man! :pac: They don't sound that eccentric at all, but once the story got going it flowed fairly well.. It's fairly handy too 'cos you can take inspiration from stuff like "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding" and films! :P

I can't remember the entire gist of it, but I know the gypsy bride was out dress shopping, except she was in a curtain makers because no dress shop was able to supply the materials large enough for her! He was in there with his mother, buying curtains for their mansion! :P Then her brother stole his mothers' handbag, and the first meeting happened.. They fell in love, she married him, murdered him, took all his money, got married to her gypsy lover and boom it all ends..

Wow I just realised how weird my essays are.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mahon93

i did this essay and i started it with a quote from the song Mad World by Gary Jules, you know "i think it's find of funny, ...etc

Then i went on to describe a young moody teenager, I actually based him on someone I know. I described his relationship with his mother and sister, himself and the sister being the two main characters I described in the most detail.

You can go anywhere from here. I alluded towards Asperger's Syndrome and I closed with himself and his sister finally overcoming the distance between them, my teacher loved it.

Don't be afraid to get inspired from songs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭OldSchool94

hey!

or

"where two unusual or eccentric characters meet for the first time" ...You could have something along the story of 9/11 where they meet boarding the plane and they find out they are relatives...then they survive and live to tell the story?? :/

"isn't that funny and sad too..." ..Don't have ideas for this one!

Advertisement