Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large fields around town? Any Kilkenny model plane flyers on boards?

Options
  • 10-05-2011 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭

Hello
    Anyone know of any massive fields not too far from town with no scum to deal with? Also no trees or obstacles would be a massive bonus. Im after getting a model plane and I need a large area and help. The castle park is a no no:(
    cheers people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

The airfield out the Tullaroan road sounds perfect! Or out the back of Woodies, some nice open space there I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

ft9 wrote: »
    The airfield out the Tullaroan road sounds perfect! Or out the back of Woodies, some nice open space there I think.
    I wonder would the airfield leave you fly their though, i heard their used to be a model plane club out there. I might give them a bell. I know the field your on about behind woodies but the road beside it does be full of travellers:(
    Thanks anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

What about sports fields?

Kierans College, Rugby club, Brothers field (back of CBS Primary), to name a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

I know a young lad who's mad into them, collects helicopters, planes, jets and enters competitions. Not sure what club he's in tho, will try find out!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

As previously mentioned, the back of Woodies, the barriers are closed at both ends in the evenings so you'd have a perfect runway, I'd imagine.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I think there are air law issues regarding the operation of model aircraft in proximity to light aircraft. Not 100%. I'll check it up.

I've seen guys out at the airfield tricking around with model planes in the past but I don't know how well received they would be.

Ask in the models forum about suitable locations maybe.

That abandoned industrial estate greenfield site on bothernatournish road would be perfect, there's tarmac roads there to use as runways and everything, and never anyone around there.

That abandoned industrial estate greenfield site on bothernatournish road would be perfect, there's tarmac roads there to use as runways and everything, and never anyone around there.

Sorry now but Im completely lost where is that?:o Sounds like a good spot.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Spelling is a bit off - Bohernatounish Road it is... think of the roundabout at The Watershed and Glanbia House. Presume it's up the back of State Street etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=52.631708,-7.235591&num=1&t=h&sll=52.640282,-7.241297&sspn=0.006295,0.012337&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=52.634118,-7.233639&spn=0.007176,0.01929&z=16&layer=c&cbll=52.633041,-7.232578&panoid=4j09JyLbLbZlbPNwhurBuw&cbp=12,219.01,,0,-5.41

Yea you take the roundabout at the watershed straight out past Glanbia and past the turn for 365 / state street and stay on this road until you see the entrance to it on the right.

Place is massive, easy to get to, tarmac everywhere and totally deserted.
    Would make a good karting track.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Might be a bit too far for you but a few lads use the hurling pitch in Thomastown.

• Advertisement

Licksy wrote: »
    Spelling is a bit off - Bohernatounish Road it is... think of the roundabout at The Watershed and Glanbia House. Presume it's up the back of State Street etc?
    I took your advise and went up there, great spot to fly. Nice a deep grass as well to cushion them harsh landings. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KM88

Plug wrote: »
    I took your advise and went up there, great spot to fly. Nice a deep grass as well to cushion them harsh landings. Cheers.
    Was that you last night? (Wednesday 18th, about 8.30PM)
    I was cycling past there last night with my daughter and we stopped to admire your skills. :)

NAMA really should think about encouraging the use of sites like that for recreation:
    - model planes
    - cycling school
    - off-road driving lessons
    - skateboarding
    - go karting
    - wildlife watching (did you see the hares?) We saw a Buzzard just a mile away.

We, the taxpayers, are going to own that site and many like it for years to come, so go for it - we need to get some benefit from it. I'll come and say hello next time I see you there.

Yep that was me alright, was that ye with the dog? I was also there last night but had a little accident so I have a few parts on order. I should be back up flying by next weekend. I agree what your saying, its a nice big area gone to waste. But will NAMA do anything? I don't think so! There were a good few rabbits and hares up there but if the travellers hear that, that'll be the end of it:rolleyes: A few birds were flying around the plane wondering what the hell it was. i might invest in a camera soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=52.631708,-7.235591&num=1&t=h&sll=52.640282,-7.241297&sspn=0.006295,0.012337&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=52.634118,-7.233639&spn=0.007176,0.01929&z=16&layer=c&cbll=52.633041,-7.232578&panoid=4j09JyLbLbZlbPNwhurBuw&cbp=12,219.01,,0,-5.41

Yea you take the roundabout at the watershed straight out past Glanbia and past the turn for 365 / state street and stay on this road until you see the entrance to it on the right.

Place is massive, easy to get to, tarmac everywhere and totally deserted.
    Would make a good karting track.

my dad took my 15year old flying there with a starter kit a few months back - suited them perfectly. there used to be a model flying club in town yearrs ago that fly in a field somewhere near Ballycallan I tihnk - not sure if the club is stil going but I remeber there were loads of serious heads invoved back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KM88

Yep that was me alright, was that ye with the dog?

No dog. We passed as you came in for a "steep" landing (been there and done that too) before heading for your land-based transport. :)

You were brave to fly in that wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Hi all
    I used to do the model ariplanes in the 90's and we had a club going but as with everything after a few years it all fell away. Peter Bull in Tinnypark was selling planes and parts but he has sadly pass away.
    We use to have permission to use a field, 2 fields away, in front of Tinnypark house that we kept a grass runway cut short. Just find a place well away from the public roads and try to get permissiom from a farmer to use a field and you'll good to go.

If your realy into it look up MACI.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

clivej wrote: »
    Hi all
    I used to do the model ariplanes in the 90's and we had a club going but as with everything after a few years it all fell away. Peter Bull in Tinnypark was selling planes and parts but he has sadly pass away.
    We use to have permission to use a field, 2 fields away, in front of Tinnypark house that we kept a grass runway cut short. Just find a place well away from the public roads and try to get permissiom from a farmer to use a field and you'll good to go.

If your realy into it look up MACI.ie

Not sure if you are the smae Clive but I think you gave my dad a few beginners lessons years and years ago...after several failed attempts and smahed planes we eventually gave up, couldnt get the f***in' thing to fly - wasn't therre another field used ? Left after tinnypark and out that road a couple of miles and there was a big field on the left? Didint know Peter Bull was dead - shame, he was an intersting character...

Rantan wrote: »
    Not sure if you are the smae Clive but I think you gave my dad a few beginners lessons years and years ago...after several failed attempts and smahed planes we eventually gave up, couldnt get the f***in' thing to fly - wasn't therre another field used ? Left after tinnypark and out that road a couple of miles and there was a big field on the left? Didint know Peter Bull was dead - shame, he was an intersting character...

Yes I'd say that was me alrite. Ask the farmer for permission, he was ok about it all.

Would ye ever get back into it? Their dosen't seem to be too many lads flying these days, im only new to it myself but I enjoy it.

Would ye ever get back into it? Their dosen't seem to be too many lads flying these days, im only new to it myself but I enjoy it.

After I spent 6 months building a 96" span Cranfield aerobatic scale plane with a 25cc engine and then put it into the ground on its second outing I called it a day.

• Advertisement

clivej wrote: »
    After I spent 6 months building a 96" span Cranfield aerobatic scale plane with a 25cc engine and then put it into the ground on its second outing I called it a day.
    Oh god you must have been gutted!
    Heres a big rc sport plane out in Kilkenny airfield, maybe you know the guy.

Oh god you must have been gutted!
    Heres a big rc sport plane out in Kilkenny airfield, maybe you know the guy.

Indeed I do

Advertisement