Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quality Labrador breeder

• 10-05-2011 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

I hope its allowed to ask here, I am looking for a new lab pup in the next 6 months, and am looking for recommendations for people with previous experience with honest breeders.

The parents will need to be hip scored and eye tested, I wouldnt even think of buying a pup otherwise or rescuing without knowing the parents, hip dysplasia is just too much of a risk.

Please PM me if its not allowed to post here.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Previous thread on the subject here -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70518145

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Artstaaar

I hope its allowed to ask here, I am looking for a new lab pup in the next 6 months, and am looking for recommendations for people with previous experience with honest breeders.

The parents will need to be hip scored and eye tested, I wouldnt even think of buying a pup otherwise or rescuing without knowing the parents, hip dysplasia is just too much of a risk.

Please PM me if its not allowed to post here.

May I ask why you wouldn't consider a rescue? There's a huge over population of dogs in Ireland and many are in desperate need of love, care and good homes. Breeders are adding to the problem and ensuring rescues don't have a chance of a good home.

Would you consider checking out the DSPCA instead?
    Not attacking you, just a friendly suggestion :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Artstaaar wrote: »
    May I ask why you wouldn't consider a rescue? There's a huge over population of dogs in Ireland and many are in desperate need of love, care and good homes. Breeders are adding to the problem and ensuring rescues don't have a chance of a good home.

Would you consider checking out the DSPCA instead?
    Not attacking you, just a friendly suggestion :)

The OP explained why, they want a dog from health tested parents. Well done to them is what I say, and I run a rescue. Getting a health tested dog means that they will be going to a reputable breeder and not a BYB or puppy farmer.

OP, if you would consider a rescue, contact the breed club (IKC can give you details) sometimes breeders have to take dogs back due to a change in the new owner's circumstances, and you could take on a dog that comes from health tested parents.

Best of luck in your search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Thanks for the replies folks. I would have no problem adopting a dog from a rescue(and have adopted in the past) if i was looking for a mixed breed.

However in this case I am looking for a purebred pup, our lab at the moment is 14 years old and has had a very healthy and happy life, I did my homework when getting her years ago and it's paid off, so I want to be sure of the health of the parents with a new pup also.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Thanks for the replies folks. I would have no problem adopting a dog from a rescue(and have adopted in the past) if i was looking for a mixed breed.

However in this case I am looking for a purebred pup, our lab at the moment is 14 years old and has had a very healthy and happy life, I did my homework when getting her years ago and it's paid off, so I want to be sure of the health of the parents with a new pup also.

Are the people that bred your dog not still breeding? Even if they aren't, could be worth a phone call, they could probably recommend somebody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Artstaaar

Cool, was just wondering :) I guess a background health check is a really good idea. Good luck with the pup!

Advertisement