Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to when UPC modem gets 3 out of 4 lights?

• 10-05-2011 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi, I have a Cisco EPC2425. The normal sequence of blinkenlights when you turn it on is:

Power -> DS -> US -> Online

Today it would only stop at the 3rd stage. This has happened before, but never for an 8 hour outage.

What does this mean? Is it that it cannot get an IP address, or something lower down the layers to do with cable modem mysteries?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it pretty much means you need to call upc.

power it off for 2 mins, then back on and if it doesn't connect then call support and let them take it from there, there's not much else you can do from your end.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

Well it rectified itself in the evening. Anyone one know what it means technically?

its likely that there was some kind of localised network problem outside of your house but still within your street/estate somewhere and someone else (because their own broadband/phone and/or TV was also down), rather than waiting for the broadband fairies to magically fix it did the right thing and called UPC and UPC sent someone out to fix it. technnically. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

Firstly, I checked with a neighbour, theirs was working when mine wasn't.

Secondly, you cannot prove that broadband fairies don't exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Touché

• Advertisement

well played, you've got me there. :D

in all seriousness though, cable broadband is a lot different to DSL in many ways and you will generally find that as far as the connection of the modem to the internet goes, it either works or it doesn't and if it doesn't it will be that the modem is either dead and will need replacing, or there is a problem outside of your house somewhere that needs fixing.

either way, after a manual power cycle of the modem your first port of call is always going to be to call UPC to let them know you have an issue and then get them to test it to see if they can find the problem and the results will be either something they can fix at their end, or something they need to send an engineer out for which is usually within a day or two/three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You need to contact UPC about it, especially if it happens again. No one here can tell you why it has failed. Same happened to me, and it was a power issue between the junction box and my house, so only mine was effected. Broadband would disconnect for about 8-16 hours at a time, usually every day, but not always. There was a power drop somewhere on the line, and they fixed it on the day they came out.

Advertisement