Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bass recipe

• 10-05-2011 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭

Can any one recommend a good bass recipe ? Im fairly handy in the kitchen but Iv never cooked bass so any and all recommendations are welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

2 mangoes, pitted, peeled and chopped
    1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1/4 cup lime juice
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
    2 pounds bass fillets, rinsed and patted dry
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Preheat grill to medium-hot. Mix together mangoes, bell pepper, orange juice, lime juice and basil; set aside.Brush fillets lightly with oil. Place on grill and cook, turning once, until done, 3 to 6 minutes per side. Remove from grill and serve with relish. Season to taste. Serving Size: 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

2 mangoes, pitted, peeled and chopped
    1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1/4 cup lime juice
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
    2 pounds bass fillets, rinsed and patted dry
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Preheat grill to medium-hot. Mix together mangoes, bell pepper, orange juice, lime juice and basil; set aside.Brush fillets lightly with oil. Place on grill and cook, turning once, until done, 3 to 6 minutes per side. Remove from grill and serve with relish. Season to taste. Serving Size: 8
    That sound perfect.I'm going to use your relish and make it with this recipe

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3366/sea-bass-with-sizzled-ginger-chilli-and-spring-oni?pager.offset=100

Do I blitz the ingredients or do I leave them chunky ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

A good fish doesn't need much :

Coarse sea salt and stuff the belly with fenel leaves ( very imortant ).

Cook the fish in aluminium foil. Make sure you close the foil pocket very tight so no air can escape during the cooking but don't wrap the fish either. It needs to be like a foil bag. Anyway i'm sure you know what i'm talking about

Aside you make this sauce :

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/buttersauces/r/beurreblanc.htm

there is nothing better than this for bass in my world ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

nicest way...

get you fillet, leave scales and skin on, place scales down on hot pan and leave it like that till the fish has cooked through.. may take a while and the scales do burn, but the flesh is done to perfection, no need to turn over or anything.. and boil a few baby potatoes and a bit of garlic butter over them.. YUMMIE!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

.I pan fried one fillet cut into 4 darns.Seasoned with some salt and pepper,skin side down.I served it with fried ginger,garlic,chili and and some soya sauce.I also made bernard0368 salsa and some Jasmin rice.

And the other fillet cut in to cuts and made a Thai green curry.
    Having never eaten fresh bass it was without doubt the nicest fish iv eaten.

Thanks again lads for the recommendation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Cdub

Great on the BBQ too.
    Make sure to rub olive oil over the fish so it doesnt stick and don't over do it timewise.

We also steam them sometimes whole in foil, with the body cavity stuffed with herbs. Peel off the skin when cooked as its floppy doing it this way.

Advertisement