Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting accommodation from abroad

Options
  • 10-05-2011 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

We are working abroad at the moment and are looking to rent our house. The rent would be 400€, the interest on the mortgage about 380€....there are, of course, other bits and pieces of expenses too.

Would I be right in saying we would not be liable for any income tax in ireland at all then?

What about all that PRTB stuff; is that a lot of hassle and paperwork? We were also thinking of going down the road of declaring it as a rent a room rental agreement, as we still have some stuff there, but the rent allowance that out tenant would be entitled to would be lower then, and we're eager enough to rent it to her, as she seems a good tenant. I don't really fancy dealing with the health boards on this topic either tbh.

Thanks for any advice.
    n.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Nomad0209 wrote: »
    We are working abroad at the moment and are looking to rent our house. The rent would be 400€, the interest on the mortgage about 380€....there are, of course, other bits and pieces of expenses too.

Would I be right in saying we would not be liable for any income tax in ireland at all then?

What about all that PRTB stuff; is that a lot of hassle and paperwork? We were also thinking of going down the road of declaring it as a rent a room rental agreement, as we still have some stuff there, but the rent allowance that out tenant would be entitled to would be lower then, and we're eager enough to rent it to her, as she seems a good tenant. I don't really fancy dealing with the health boards on this topic either tbh.

Thanks for any advice.
    n.

Non resident landlords are obliged to have their tenants withold 20% of the rent and forward directly to Revenue for tax purposes, you may then be entitled to a refund.

PRTB registration is a LEGAL REQUIREMENT for rental properties. It's a form you fill in and a fee you pay, not exactly hassle.

Trying to avail of the rent a room scheme while not living in the house is illegal and tax evasion.

Advertisement