Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to buy property with good access to dublin?

Options
  • 10-05-2011 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hey.
    We have lived and worked in London for years but are originally from Dublin 8.
    My dad wants to buy a 2 bed property near Dublin that we and the grand kids can visit every few weeks. The budget is between 60 - 100k euros. Good transport links
    Into Dublin are essential as we aren't going to be driving there. An Auntie said mullingar was pretty decent. property there seems to be within the budget since the recession, plus there is bus and rail links straight into Dublin city.

My dad doesn't want to buy in the city, the prices there are crazy even after the price drops.
    So basically, are there any nice places near dublin with good transport links, nice surroundings, a decent pub or two,(essential obviously ; ). Not looking for anything Tallaght style : )

Is mullingar nice? Ive never even been there?

Any suggestions massively appreciated,

Paul.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I'd prefer Carlow to Mullingar myself. More amenities and shops than Mullingar and it has a rail link

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Mullingar is a nice town (saying that I haven't been down there in a couple of years). My aul lad is from there and still a few of my aunts, uncles, cousins and granddad live down there, basically has everything you need while not being too busy. Decent cinema just outside of the town, plenty of shops, pubs, few nice restuarants, one of the nicest chippers in Ireland, the Roma (afaik it was the first proper stone oven in a takeaway in Ireland ;) ), McDonalds, phone shops, Dunnes, Xtravision, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I'd prefer Carlow to Mullingar myself. More amenities and shops than Mullingar and it has a rail link

Mullingar has a train station two minutes from the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 walsh350

What about drogheda? Lots of historic sites, not too expensive and near dublin and the airport, with good transport links. Is it rough in town?looking at outside of town but will want to get the cousins up from dublin for the odd night out now and again.

The search goes on....

Thanks for replies so far! ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

walsh350 wrote: »
    My dad wants to buy a 2 bed property near Dublin that we and the grand kids can visit every few weeks. The budget is between 60 - 100k euros.
    I know property prices have crashed, but is your price range not over-optimistic?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 walsh350

I had no idea what kinda prices things were before yesterday.
    Thats the kind of money we have anyway, think we might keep an eye on the market and put it off for a year.
    Gives a chance to try and get more money together.

Got about 50k as a deposit. Are the banks even giving out mortgages over there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ciaran_h

I'd prefer tallaght to mullingar Carlow or drogheda

Advertisement