Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

questions about first bike

• 10-05-2011 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

i want to get a honda 50

im nearly 16, so if i can find a decent enough cheap one from donedeal or somewhere i can ask the folks to help out, but i need somethings to be clairified.

what tests do i need to do?
    how much should insurance be? (i know it's not online but gimme a rough idea?)
    what gear do i need to get?
    what stupid ****e do i need to wear (L plates and so on)

and whatever other details you can give me about riding a bike on the road at my age, would be very helpful

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

ill fill out part of this for you,

you only are required by law to buy and wear a helmet and an "L" hi-vis top (that zips together)
    you SHOULD buy a NEW helmet, jacket with back protector, trousers with padding, boots, gloves.

cant help with insurance but i dont imagine it will be cheap even on a honda 50.

best of luck mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭H1tmonlii

thanks for the info man.

anything else i need to know

also, probbaly a stupid question BUT

on a rural road (by rural i mean the last time i saw a guard was when i was 9), would it be worth risking heading a couple miles over the road to a friends? i mean it'd save on the mother havin to drive me everywhere, and i mean what can a guard say if he stops me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

This does get asked a lot around here. A sticky would be handy on this.

You have to complete a theory test.

You also need to do an IBT course. You will be applying for your A1 or M license.

You could try fill out the Quinn insurance form online to get an idea of what you are looking at. To be honest, I reckon Quinn are the only ones who will insure you for decent money.

Regarding your taking a risk question. I'd have to say once you have insurance, basic gear (gloves, helmet, jacket) and IBT, go ahead and take those risks.

But seriously, all you are saving out on is tax and a pair of nice trousers and boots which actually make riding more enjoyable.

Not many people tend to talk about the L plate thing. It's up to yourself to make your mind up on that one. It has its advantages and disadvantages.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

H1tmonlii wrote: »

on a rural road (by rural i mean the last time i saw a guard was when i was 9), would it be worth risking heading a couple miles over the road to a friends? i mean it'd save on the mother havin to drive me everywhere, and i mean what can a guard say if he stops me

If your insured and wearing a helmet and have tax on the bike you wont have any issues...however its not the best idea to be posting that kinda information on a public forum!

however its not the best idea to be posting that kinda information on a public forum!

EDIT: MULAH isn't a big place either :D

• Advertisement

This does get asked a lot around here. A sticky would be handy on this.

You have to complete a theory test.

You also need to do an IBT course. You will be applying for your A1 or M license.

You could try fill out the Quinn insurance form online to get an idea of what you are looking at. To be honest, I reckon Quinn are the only ones who will insure you for decent money.

Regarding your taking a risk question. I'd have to say once you have insurance, basic gear (gloves, helmet, jacket) and IBT, go ahead and take those risks.

But seriously, all you are saving out on is tax and a pair of nice trousers and boots which actually make riding more enjoyable.

Not many people tend to talk about the L plate thing. It's up to yourself to make your mind up on that one. It has its advantages and disadvantages.

thanks for the info
    is the IBT course expensive? would it even be worth getting a bike if i have to fork out hundreds on lessons and tests.
    If your insured and wearing a helmet and have tax on the bike you wont have any issues...however its not the best idea to be posting that kinda information on a public forum!

ah there's no problem there

mullagh, dammit! :P

Budget
    50 for theory test
    450 for the IBT
    400 for gear
    800 for insurance
    1000 for bike?? (havent a clue what a honda 50 is valued at)

total = 2700

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

1000 euro for a Honda 50.....:o:o Previous owner the Dalai Lama or some ****'.

but yeah it would be cheaper to get a Micra or something mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    1000 euro for a Honda 50.....:o:o Previous owner the Dalai Lama or some ****'.

but yeah it would be cheaper to get a Micra or something mate.
    At 16? My brothers turning 17 and cage insurance for him is nearly 2000 and theres compulsory lesson for them now too so it is actually still cheaper to get a bike.
    Pity hes a weirdo, I offered him my 125 for nothing but he doesn't want it :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement