Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with two week old kitten

• 10-05-2011 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

We got a 2 w/o kitten from a friend on Sunday who's only advice was to feed her milk.

I admit I am clueless when it comes to cat's but this morning the kitten was regurgitating undigested cow's milk. She's only passed one solid and many urination's in the past three days and seems in good form now.

Today we began to feed her Lactol and the instructions are to feed her <150ml per day disolved in warm water, but she barely is touching it, she will feed for a minute or two but refuses to eat it all.

For today I estimate she's drank ~20ml and no urination has we worried, but she seems in good form.

Should she be feeding more?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

No cow's milk again- cats are lactos intolerant and it'll just upset her stomach. She nees to be fed every two hours at the moment, and let her take as much as she can; dont force her to take anymore than what she will willingly drink. At this age, you will have to make her go to the toilet by wetting a cotton ball and rubbing her lower abdomen until she goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

csu does your friend have the mammy cat?

If so the kitten should be back with the mother cat until its at least 8 weeks old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Posted this earlier

I have a very young kitten that im feeding royal canin baby cat milk and royal canin baby food.

Who ever told u to give her milk was wrong.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

Bringing her back to her mother isn't an option I'm afraid - she is getting attention and comfort all day long though...she's playing and seems in good form and LOVES to cuddle up:)

There is also a product called 'lactol' Its for orphaned kittens and pups :)

Hope this helps

• Advertisement

Lactol is the best thing for her at this stage.

U all craZy o.O? Lactol is what I said I'm feeding her in the OP ZOMG!:eek:

CSU wrote: »
    U all craZy o.O? Lactol is what I said I'm feeding her in the OP ZOMG!:eek:

Sorry my mistake :eek:

http://www.2ndchance.info/orphankitten.htm

Heres a good resource for you

It says here he kitten should be taking around 55cc which is 55ml converted.

Maybe take kitty to te vet if it doesn't up its feeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

A kitten that young needs syringe feedign every 2 hrs and as has been said you will need to imitate mammy cat and do the toileting for the kitten. Continue with what you are feeding it and see if you know someone with nutridrops or if you can get mollases. A kitten this small can go downhill very quickly and something like either of these will give it a sugar boost.
    Maybe see if a local rescue has a mammy cat that is feeding, they might be able to latch this little one on too... Good luck.

• Advertisement

CSU if this becomes an emergency situation and you cant get the kitten to a lactating queen i have a lactating queen at the moment you can bring kitten here to feed.

ladypip wrote: »
    CSU if this becomes an emergency situation and you cant get the kitten to a lactating queen i have a lactating queen at the moment you can bring kitten here to feed.

An excellent idea and thank you.

Hopefully I won't be PM'ing you for directions to Pacific Playland and all will be fine.

This morning she's full of beans (not literally):mad: and playing...seems to be happy:)

E;

Ok, another question

She's doing the dog thing (rubbing her behind along the floor), is this a sign of worms, and at what age should I bring her to the vet for her injections?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

Are you sure she's only two weeks?

Just cos your post makes it sound like she is playing and stuff and 2 week old kittens can only crawl around really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

CSU

Weigh the kitten. A rule of thumb for small kittens is 100g = 1 week, so a 500g kitten will be 5 weeks old.

Also judge size of the kitten and try and give us a description by comparing the kittens length from tip of nose to base of tail (not tip of tail) to some easily recognisable household object.

Check her eye colour. Kittens start off with blue eyes, and they change between 4 and 5 weeks of age to a murky mix, then head more towards their adult colour, e.g. green or golden. If you have a 500g murky-eyed kitten he or she isn't at the desperate developmental stage a two week old bub would be, and you can introduce solids into the diet.

Depending on the age of the kitten using weight and eye colour as a guideline, you can worm the kitten yourself. Eight weeks is a good age for first vet's visit for health check and vaccination.

Advertisement