Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Build

Options
  • 10-05-2011 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi,

I am buying to build a cheap pc for a relative at their request.

Can anyone just check if all will be suitable:

CASE
    POWER
    DVD PLAYER
    HARD DISK
    MOTHERBOARD
    RAM
    PROCESSOR

Also do i need anything else like cables or fans?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

You're probably better off going down the AMD athlon X3 route. whats the budget?

personally, id be very wary of Komplett these days. you can get cheaper elsewhere, and not have to worry about their 'troubles'.

check their forum on boards if you're unsure of what im talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    You're probably better off going down the AMD athlon X3 route. whats the budget?

personally, id be very wary of Komplett these days. you can get cheaper elsewhere, and not have to worry about their 'troubles'.

check their forum on boards if you're unsure of what im talking about.

Have to jump to their defense here! Have used them a few times in the last year and have not had one problem. I think that trouble is in the past for them.

But agree that if you are going to put together a full system your better off going elsewhere as the overall cost would be lower. (factoring in P&P)

Also agree with the Athlonx3. Best budget price CPU out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 sccats

thanks guys my budget is about 350 inclduing monitor this comes to it. Im worried ill be missing something or something wont fit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

This Case is pretty good Value I think and comes with 500w PSU

sccats wrote: »
    thanks guys my budget is about 350 inclduing monitor this comes to it. Im worried ill be missing something or something wont fit.
    what monitor are you ordering?

im a little confused. is it €350 including monitor or excluding monitor?

This is what i came up with for €350 delivered from www.hardwareversand.de they charge €30 flat rate for delivery and only take bank transfers. let us know if that will be a problem.

158391.JPG

EDIT: Thats a good case, very capable Athlon tri core processor, a very good quality power supply, 4gb ram, very good fast 500gb HDD, and a good low budget GPU that'll handle any 1080p youtube or whatever they may need it to. it actually worked out cheaper to get a Motherboard with the discreet HD5450 than a Mobo that has onboard (and worse) GPU (HD4250)

EDIT 2: Ha it looks like i added 2 graphics cards unintentionally, so you can scratch another €25 off that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

did u say 350 and you need a screen too ?????????

massy086 wrote: »
    did u say 350 and you need a screen too ?????????

Sorry my mistake its 420 with monitor so would all that work well together?

Id add This monitor then

22" 1080p LED LCD benq.

brings you to €440 including delivery, but worth the stretch id say.

has to be said though that at full 1080p the GPU is going to struggle under gaming.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Just to play devils advocate ( I feel almost dirty posting this here :p), but if that is a hard 350 euro budget and we really need a monitor included in then pretty well this only way to do it. All based on the assumption that this will never be running anything more taxing than MS Office/ Internet browsing.

Drop to a dual core Athlon, an mAtx board with bare minimum onboard graphics and a case PSU\combo (I feel the need to post a disclaimer that I never saw the day I would be recommending this), and you could certainly chop another 70ish off the price of T-Bags posted build, which would go a long way towards the price of a uber cheapo 18-19" monitor.

Athlon X2 250
    (-18 on original X3 CPU)

MSI 760GM (-14 on motherboard and -25 on discrete GPU)

Compucase 350W (-15 on original case / psu)

Which by my reckoning saves about about 70 euro to put towards this.

SyncMaster E1920N

go have a showher marcopolo thats just dirtyyyyyyyyy lol:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

massy086 wrote: »
    go have a showher marcopolo thats just dirtyyyyyyyyy lol:D:D

The only thing worse would be wading into a 1000+ euro build thread telling someone to just buy a Mac :D

marco_polo wrote: »
    The only thing worse would be wading into a 1000+ euro build thread telling someone to just buy a Mac :D

ha ha i love it i must try that 1 lol but if this build is only a surfer x2 will be grand hell p4 will do lol

marco_polo wrote: »
    Just to play devils advocate ( I feel almost dirty posting this here :p), but if that is a hard 350 euro budget and we really need a monitor included in then pretty well this only way to do it. All based on the assumption that this will never be running anything more taxing than MS Office/ Internet browsing.

Drop to a dual core Athlon, an mAtx board with bare minimum onboard graphics and a case PSU\combo (I feel the need to post a disclaimer that I never saw the day I would be recommending this), and you could certainly chop another 70ish off the price of T-Bags posted build, which would go a long way towards the price of a uber cheapo 18-19" monitor.

Athlon X2 250
    (-18 on original X3 CPU)

MSI 760GM (-14 on motherboard and -25 on discrete GPU)

Compucase 350W (-15 on original case / psu)

Which by my reckoning saves about about 70 euro to put towards this.

SyncMaster E1920N
    Id prefer to be stabbed than look at that case every day Marco!

Either way, Sccats said it was €420 with the monitor, but hasnt mentioned whether it has been purchased yet or not?

Otherwise, id be inclined to order what i chose there, but i'd feel alot better about spending a further €15 on a better GPU that isnt passively cooled and strained by 1080p as much.

and Sccats, if you're concidering my build i posted, you can change out the case i pointed out (if you're not sold on the looks) for a few others that i'll list if you like?

Id prefer to be stabbed than look at that case every day Marco!

Either way, Sccats said it was €420 with the monitor, but hasnt mentioned whether it has been purchased yet or not?

Otherwise, id be inclined to order what i chose there, but i'd feel alot better about spending a further €15 on a better GPU that isnt passively cooled and strained by 1080p as much.

and Sccats, if you're concidering my build i posted, you can change out the case i pointed out (if you're not sold on the looks) for a few others that i'll list if you like?

Ah, skimmed over the 420 budget post.

Please don't any of the above as some sort of critisim on what you had suggested previously, that was most certainly not my intention at all. I was simply throwing the nuclear budget option out there, in the mistaken believe that it was still 350.

what monitor are you ordering?

im a little confused. is it €350 including monitor or excluding monitor?

This is what i came up with for €350 delivered from www.hardwareversand.de they charge €30 flat rate for delivery and only take bank transfers. let us know if that will be a problem.

158391.JPG

EDIT: Thats a good case, very capable Athlon tri core processor, a very good quality power supply, 4gb ram, very good fast 500gb HDD, and a good low budget GPU that'll handle any 1080p youtube or whatever they may need it to. it actually worked out cheaper to get a Motherboard with the discreet HD5450 than a Mobo that has onboard (and worse) GPU (HD4250)

EDIT 2: Ha it looks like i added 2 graphics cards unintentionally, so you can scratch another €25 off that price.

Tea-bag I had a look through all of this properly today and thinking of going for it. So many thanks but with the monitor at €99 and then Windows OS its coming to about the same as a prebuilt or even more.

Tea-bag I had a look through all of this properly today and thinking of going for it. So many thanks but with the monitor at €99 and then Windows OS its coming to about the same as a prebuilt or even more.

That is the problem with building yourself in this sort of price range, it is practically impossible to compete with the massive bulk discounts that the large OEM System builders such as Dell etc get on Window licenses and component etc. Only when building mid to high budget systems (400-500 without OS or Monitor) do you really see decent savings.

If you are finding the similar or cheaper prebuilt option cheaper then there is no harm in going that way on this occasion.

Its true, self builds cant really compete at this price bracket. the thing is though that a self build is very upgradable in the future, whereas OEM dells etc are severly limited.
    If the owner of this PC was to take up PC gaming you could just slot in a €100 graphics card in 1 years time and away you go.
    my Dell i had didnt even have a slot to put a GPU, and the PSU was at its limit with the system already.

you could get Windows 7 x64 for ~€46 as a student upgrade edition mentioned in the budget gaming section or bargain alerts. (you dont need to be a student to avail of it. family members or people with children qualify too)

If you're looking at a prebuilt system, give us the link so atleast we can have a quick look at it. Otherwise concider getting second hand parts to build a good system on a tight budget.

Its true, self builds cant really compete at this price bracket. the thing is though that a self build is very upgradable in the future, whereas OEM dells etc are severly limited.
    If the owner of this PC was to take up PC gaming you could just slot in a €100 graphics card in 1 years time and away you go.
    my Dell i had didnt even have a slot to put a GPU, and the PSU was at its limit with the system already.

you could get Windows 7 x64 for ~€46 as a student upgrade edition mentioned in the budget gaming section or bargain alerts. (you dont need to be a student to avail of it. family members or people with children qualify too)

If you're looking at a prebuilt system, give us the link so atleast we can have a quick look at it. Otherwise concider getting second hand parts to build a good system on a tight budget.

Taking all into account I probably will go for the pre-built. The person I am getting it for is not very tech savvy and only needs it for the basics. The main thing was the big screen. It also wont need to be upgraded as this model I have selected has sufficient memory etc. It is a lenovo which some are yay and some are nay. What do you think?

Advertisement