Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making new friends in Laois?

Options
  • 10-05-2011 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey all,

I'm just really bored and looking to meet some new friends in Laois to hang out with. I don't play sports, so that rules out probably the biggest way of meeting people around here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Lol I'm the same Freddy, My suggestion for one..
    Change your user name :L

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 FreddyKreuger

javagal wrote: »
    Lol I'm the same Freddy, My suggestion for one..
    Change your user name :L

I'm not as scary as my username makes me sound!
    Veles wrote: »
    Im also thinking of organising a boardsie meet up in the town too:)

Sounds like a good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I know there's a new camera/photography club started up in Portlaoise on Wed evenings, 8pm at the parish centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 FreddyKreuger

If you want to meet up in town or something, maybe send me a message. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭What? Oh Rly!

Ello,if i were to set up a boardsie meet up where would suit everyone?

Sounds like a plan :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭laois gael

This meet up going to take place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

yea i do need some idea of a venue that most people would go to!any suggestions?

Coppers...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭PatsyR

Are there any drama groups in laois?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

PatsyR wrote: »
    Are there any drama groups in laois?
    There's a youth one but I dunno about any adult one around.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭PatsyR

Yea I've searched but I can't find anything

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Open Door Theatre Group, based in Laois- always looking for new members, both on/off stage. Keep an eye out in local papers for info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Barrythe chopper

Do you guys still meet up I'm back in Laois after years traveling and I'd like to make some new friends I'm a geek and nerd but easy going too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

Join Macra na Feirme. It's not all farmers, there are all walks of like and backgrounds in it. I'm joined in Glanmire and there are a couple of Polish in and an Austrian girl from Vienna.
    They're all so sound and welcoming and I'm so glad I joined and I've made maby friends there. They do all sorts of things - sports, drama, debating, farm skills, weekends away, farm visits, all sorts of stuff.

There are macra clubs in every area across the country and they do joint activities regularly.
    Macra Rally is coming up in the next few weeks. Its in Limerick this year.

I'd highly reccommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Barrythe chopper

I always thought that was just for farmers and very GAA invested

Well a good number, probably 60% of the members are of a farming background, then you have a lot of non-farmers but who would be of a rural background. This farmer/rural group would probably be the majority but make no mistake about it, there is a significant minority of made up of, non-rural/non-farmers, urban "townies", foreign nationals and other randomers. I'd say well less than 50% are actual active farmers themselves - they might be of a farming background but their own occupations could be literally anything: there's teachers, an archeologist, receptionists, students, engineers,

As I said, our club has an Austrian student from Vienna, a Lituanian girl who initially joined for the volleyball we have on sports nights and a possibly Chinese? looking guy.
    I suppose one must bear in mind that some of the diversity in Glanmire Macra is probably due to its proximity to Cork City which, naturally, will draw from far and wide for employment and study.

Me personally, I am of a farming background but moved to Cork for work. Didn't have much of a social network here and wanted to get out and meet people and build up a network outside of housemates (sound out) and work (also all sound).

Before that I tried a few things off of meetup.com and while it was good fun, there seemed to be a large number of "transients" in it, ie non local or foreign people working in Cork for a while and then moving on. You'd also rarely meet the same p eople twice at subsequent events. So it was not really feasible to forge friendships at it. Also, while all lovely sound people, a few of the regulars seemed to be what I could only describe as "oddballs" or social missfits so between it all I decided I'd pack that in. However, I still do the odd event here and there if I find I have a particular interest.

Anyways back to Macra, I made a few calls and I was advised that Glanmire are a good active club would also be a good fit for my age group/interests. Did a weekend surfing and drinking in Skibbereen as my first event and haven't looked back since. Love it. All at it very outgoing, friendly and welcoming. I felt like I belonged from the get-go.

And don't be discouraged by thinking that all the events are farming related. Sure, some are, but they are a minority.

Here's a taster of what my club has done:

- Bowling (for fun and also competitions)
    - Weekend away in West Cork surfing and drinking.
    - Debating classes and competitions - there was a debate on Brexit there a few weeks ago.
    - Drama competitions
    - Weekly sports nights - indoor soccer, basketball, unihoc, volleyball (non competitive, just for fun, all ability levels)
    - We're going to the ploughing match i think.
    - oh, and the odd drinking session in John Reardens!:pac::D
    - a "Macra Mart" - whatever that is? Wasn't at it!
    - public speaking nights also with lectures/presentations from selected guest speakers
    - the list goes on.

It is definitely work trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

I always thought that was just for farmers and very GAA invested

Macra isn't very GAA orientated tbh. Plenty of non farming people in it too.

Dead right. I've been in it a good few months now and we've never done anything GAA related. Only time I recall the subject of GAA ever coming up was last weekend and the all Ireland cos I'm from Tipperary.

Advertisement