Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing j1 to h1-b

Options
  • 10-05-2011 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Hypothetical situation.

My plan is to go to the U.S in late Autumn, be it on a h1-b or 12 month j1. I have had interviews for full time permanent jobs there but the processes have been delayed/slowed down because I am not graduated yet (results out next month and I'll be getting an official letter from my uni saying I meet all requirements to graduate).

My question is, if I organize temp 12 month j1, what if I then receive an offer for a permanent job and h1-b sponsorship? Would it be easy to convert to a h1-b?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

It's a straight forward process to transfer visa. As long as you are not subject to the two year home rule and meet all the requirements its possible. It can take up to two months for the whole process to be completed and overstaying your J1 visa should never be an option, just to keep in mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

lil_lisa wrote: »
    It's a straight forward process to transfer visa. As long as you are not subject to the two year home rule and meet all the requirements its possible. It can take up to two months for the whole process to be completed and overstaying your J1 visa should never be an option, just to keep in mind!
    Yeah i wouldn't overstay the visa at all, i just mean transferring in the sense of 'I have just left for the US on a j1 visa but now have got an offer of a permanent job with a h1-b visa and now I want to switch' kind of thing. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Megglz wrote: »
    Yeah i wouldn't overstay the visa at all, i just mean transferring in the sense of 'I have just left for the US on a j1 visa but now have got an offer of a permanent job with a h1-b visa and now I want to switch' kind of thing. Thanks :)

As long as you tick all the boxes for a H1b visa and the company is willing to keep you and pay for the visa. No. I went through the same thing. I would however take a close look at the H1b and requirements. It is tough for grads to sometimes meet some of the requirements, such as the prevailing wage (which is often based on mid career professionals).

Advertisement