Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kelmayisaurus, Chinese Carcharodontosaur

Options
  • 10-05-2011 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

First time I've heard of Chinese carcharodontosaur. Turns out there's actually two of them!
    Unraveling the identity of Kelmayisaurus required two steps. First, Brusatte and co-authors had to determine whether the dinosaur could be distinguished as a unique species. Contrary to the idea that the remains were too scrappy to make such a determination, Kelmayisaurus had a distinctive groove on the front portion of the outside of the lower jaw. Kelmayisaurus is a valid dinosaur name, after all.

With the first question resolved, the paleontologists set about determining what sort of dinosaur Kelmayisaurus was. The best-supported hypothesis was that Kelmayisaurus was a carcharodontosaurid, related to Giganotosaurus, Acrocanthosaurus and others. Aspects of the Kelmayisaurus toothrow, such as the depth of some of the bone around the teeth, and the absence of features often seen in other groups of predatory dinosaurs placed the dinosaur among the “shark-toothed” predators. Though not as large as some of the largest dinosaurs in this group, Kelmayisaurus was still pretty big—about the size of its distant cousin Allosaurus.

Read more here.

800px-Shaochilong.jpg
    Shaochilong

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Finally! :D The identity of another mysterious dinosaur, revealed at last! I'm glad to know that it is valid after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

And not a Tyranosaur!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

And not a Tyranosaur!

I'm surprised I haven't read an article called "T-rex's mysterious Asian cousins" or something to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Unfortunately I remember a tv documentary that mentioned T'rex's Asian 'cousins' I have avoided mentioning it before, partly because I agree with you on this and partly because I can't remember the tv program it was on.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Hopefully it was about Tarbosaurus, Alioramus, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement