Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anglican Ordinariate

• 10-05-2011 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

Now that the Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham has been established in England, is there any hope that some Anglo-Catholics in Ireland might go the same way? As an Irish Catholic condemned to endure a depraved, banal and ignorant neo-Protestant rite, I would consider myself blessed to find an Anglo-Catholic church in communion with Rome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Michael G wrote: »
    As an Irish Catholic condemned to endure a depraved, banal and ignorant neo-Protestant rite...

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭Quo Vadis

A very positive development.
    On 15 January 2011, the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith published a Decree which formally established a ‘Personal Ordinariate’ in England and Wales for groups of Anglican faithful and their clergy who wish to enter into full communion with the Catholic Church.

The establishment of this Ordinariate was the first fruit of the Apostolic Constitution Anglicanorum coetibus, issued by Pope Benedict XVI on 4 November 2009. The Constitution and the Complementary Norms published by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith provide the essential norms which will enable members of the Ordinariate to preserve within the Catholic Church those elements of Anglican ecclesial prayer, liturgy and pastoral practice (patrimony) that are concordant with Catholic teaching and which have nurtured and nourished their Christian faith and life.

In time, it is expected that further Ordinariates will be established in other parts of the world to meet the desire of those Anglican communities who in a similar way seek to be united in communion with the Successor of St Peter.

http://www.ordinariate.org.uk/about_the_ordinariate.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

What?

I mean the "Ordinary Form" of the Mass as it is often conducted now. Apart from the usual banalities, I still remember the Dancing Girls of Drogheda. A couple of years ago, the Augustinians of Drogheda (who must be distinguished from the excellent Dominicans) thought it would be a good thing to have some little girls in leotards do some New-Age wobbling in the Sanctuary.That was so horrible that I still remember it in every detail. Not all Masses in the Ordinary Form are quite so bad but most of them are, because what we used to call the Canon is made to look like something that is tagged on to what is now the main bit, the Readings followed by a lot of time for priests and lay people to do their thing. Every Sunday – unless I can go to one of the very rare Masses in the Ordinary Form when the priest doesn't think he is the star or the compére of the show – I try to find a Mass in the Extraordinary Form. As someone said, the Extraordinary Form is fairly "priest-proof".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Michael G wrote: »
    Now that the Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham has been established in England, is there any hope that some Anglo-Catholics in Ireland might go the same way? As an Irish Catholic condemned to endure a depraved, banal and ignorant neo-Protestant rite, I would consider myself blessed to find an Anglo-Catholic church in communion with Rome.

In Ireland most of the change I've seen has been from Roman Catholic to Anglican or other denominations. Simply put, the faith that is dominant in the country tends to shed members. This is why people in the Church of England lapse or go to other denominations, it is the same reason why people in the RCC are lapsing or going to other denominations.

It isn't rocket science. This is why it is better for churches to be disestablished. In Ireland the RCC wasn't established, but it had a very very close relationship with the State until quite recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Donatello

I spoke to a CoI man a short time ago. He said there was no appetite in the CoI to do what is happening in England. I don't think there is the same tradition of high Anglicanism in Ireland, Anglo-Catholcis or whatnot. I don't know too much about them to be honest. But my friend seemed to think that nothing would come of it here in Ireland.

You are so right about the priest compere thing Michael. So often at Mass I have to keep reminding myself that I am not at Mass to massage the ego of the priest or idolise him. It's tough going sometimes. It seems to be some priests do indeed think the Mass is about them and they do all they can to remind you of that. I sometimes wonder where exactly God fits in to all this. The erroneous idea many priests have is that the Mass is something we do together, and God will show up, on cue, at the consecration. We can basically do what we like before and after that point.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Festus

Donatello wrote: »
    I spoke to a CoI man a short time ago. He said there was no appetite in the CoI to do what is happening in England. I don't think there is the same tradition of high Anglicanism in Ireland, Anglo-Catholcis or whatnot. I don't know too much about them to be honest. But my friend seemed to think that nothing would come of it here in Ireland.

In much the same way there may be "Irish Catholics" there definitely are "Irish Protestants" and compared to the English they are a serious bunch.

Most English Protestants don't mind the Catholics. Most of them don't believe the myths about Catholics so frequently promulgated here, but then again few of them practise.

Those that do practise their faith do so seriously. So seriously in fact that many want to become Catholics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

What?

I was thinkin the same thing when I read it first. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

Festus wrote: »
    Those that do practise their faith do so seriously. So seriously in fact that many want to become Catholics.

Really?? Facts and Figures?? LOL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Festus

homer911 wrote: »
    Really?? Facts and Figures?? LOL

Personal experience. I met many.

Nor am I the only one who has experience this

http://www.realcatholictv.com/premium/index.php?vidID=vort-2011-05-09

Advertisement