Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goal keeper or Striker

Options
  • 10-05-2011 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Well lads

if we can only sort one of these positions out in the summer whats it to be ?

a top striker is a must for me and i'd take my chances with gomes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Well lads

if we can only sort one of these positions out in the summer whats it to be ?

a top striker is a must for me and i'd take my chances with gomes

We need both, end of story. If we only get one, we wont make CL next season. In saying that, we need a centre half too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manic mailman

Both. Gomes has ruined what confidence our defence has, I really don't see how any defence can place any trust in a keeper like Gomes. I really don't see him improving beyond what level he's at now sadly.....

If we made only two signings this summer I'd want a clinical striker and a solid keeper. The other trick will be hanging on the likely of Bale when the big boys come calling in the summer (which they probably will unfortunately).

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spursman11

Given would be a good signing if city sell or Foster but imagine he would cost a bit need a striker ,Crouch,Keane,Jenas,Gomes,Palacios,Bentley all have to go no matter the price as I d say by talk at at the club no selling = no buying.
    I would also bring back Naughton and Walker

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

i know we need both lads - question i was asking -if we could only fix one of these problems - which one would you want fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Anto12

I know we require a 20 goal a season striker - VDV started off on fire when he arrived as he stayed up front with Crouch but most of the 2nd half of the season he was droppping way too seep to pick up ossesion leaving us with no firepower up front - Defoe had a disaster of a season - dont think he ever got over his early injury with Englands .. For me Shay Given would be my preference instead of a striker .. :) Cant give away stupid goals like that all season.. Gomez has been brilliant in some games but the howler mistakes just made me stop watching the games !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

if we could only fix one of these problems - which one would you want fixed

Centre forward. Goals win games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Centre forward. Goals win games.

i think this team is a possibility

foster

walker dawson (new CB) ekotto

lennon modric sandro bale

defoe adebayour

i think the strikers would work really well together

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭yidweiser

I don't think I could stomach seeing that P##k in a Spurs jersey!
    I don't think we need a CB. We have Daw, Bas and Kaboul.
    Rodger Johnson would be a could buy if we do.
    Question. If Carroll is worth 35m, how much is Shane Long worth?
    Great little poacher, skillful and well hardy!
    I really hope we sign him.
    We lost out big time in not trying to sign Carroll/Suarez.
    On the plus side we should have money in the bank from the CL to buy players this summer :D
    Bring back Paul Robinson Harry.
    Great experienced keeper and surely knocking on the door for an England recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭boogerballs

Not a spurs supporter but surely it would be a striker... You have a quality keeper in Cudicini sitting on the bench. Give him some games, get his confidence up and that'll be the keeper problem sorted - Gomes would be a quality backup.

As for the striker, Van Nistlerooy is on a free this summer, I think he would be ideal for the Spurs - Lennon, Bale and VDV would put the ball on his head/foot and Ruud would do the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Striker all the way for me. if we had someone top class who could put away 25 league goals then we would outscore most teams in the PL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spursman11

yidweiser wrote: »
    I don't think I could stomach seeing that P##k in a Spurs jersey!
    I don't think we need a CB. We have Daw, Bas and Kaboul.
    Rodger Johnson would be a could buy if we do.
    Question. If Carroll is worth 35m, how much is Shane Long worth?
    Great little poacher, skillful and well hardy!
    I really hope we sign him.
    We lost out big time in not trying to sign Carroll/Suarez.
    On the plus side we should have money in the bank from the CL to buy players this summer :D
    Bring back Paul Robinson Harry.
    Great experienced keeper and surely knocking on the door for an England recall.
    After giving away pen yesterday I d stay away from Robbo,we have a keeper that does that already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

goal scoring striker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

looks like ham are gone down so i would say there is a big chance that harry will raid them . green, upson and parker maybe??

im not gone on green but upson and parker would be very good if we can get rid of jenas, palacious and bentley. what about getting ba off them for striker? he seems to be good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

mickman wrote: »
    looks like ham are gone down so i would say there is a big chance that harry will raid them . green, upson and parker maybe??

im not gone on green but upson and parker would be very good if we can get rid of jenas, palacious and bentley. what about getting ba off them for striker? he seems to be good

yep gone now for certain.

dont rate green any higher than i do gomes. upson is very good as is parker but would he play ahead of sandro/huddleston? as for ba he is scorin goals but is he champions league standard? cos that must be the standard we are aiming for if we want to compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Anto12

To be honest both Green and Upson have had poor seasons .. My 3 buys would be - Given , Parker and Drogba !!!! Would Van Nistleroy ( not too sure how to spell his name ) do a job ??? Would hate to see Adeboyor at the lane ... COYS !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

We look to be in for the Ipswich lad as well Wickham and also the Anderlect wonder kid as well who's meant to be the next Drogba would be happy for one of them to replace one of our current strikers maybe a switch plus cash for wickham Keane being the player transferred?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I think Van Nistleroy or god forgive me Michael Owen could be a decent option when(or if) Pav and Robbie go in the summer.

I would take a Green or Given anyday but in answer to the OP I'd take a world class striker over a world class keeper.

Think we could worse then a couple of the west ham players.

Green is no better than Gomes - makes as many mistakes.

Van nist and owen - come on thats a step backwards

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Green is no better than Gomes - makes as many mistakes.

Van nist and owen - come on thats a step backwards

I'll give you Green but Owen & VN are far from a step backwards IMHO. If we could get either of them on a pay as you play I think they'd be very handy to have around.

ziedth wrote: »
    I'll give you Green but Owen & VN are far from a step backwards IMHO. If we could get either of them on a pay as you play I think they'd be very handy to have around.

owen makes king and woodgate look like fit lads.

VN was a class act - he knocking on now

• Advertisement
Advertisement