Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever have someone refuse rescue?

Options
  • 10-05-2011 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭

Helped out tonight on the beginners course, it's the 2nd week and they ran the weir which was great craic.
    One lad took a tumble and came out of his boat, so in we went for the rescue, one lad grabbed the boat and I went for the swimmer. I shouted at him to grab the front of my boat, all very relaxed but we were in the main flow, he refused and kept trying to swim over to his boat, I said grab my boat and I'll ferry you in out of the flow. He said I'm grand I'm grand - so I kinda just said fcuk it then and told him good luck with getting out of the flow. He had to be rescued about 50 feet down river.

I was baffled and a bit pissed off with the attitude, he did the same again on the second attempt.

WTF is that all about and has anyone ever encountered it before?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭rescue16

yomchi wrote: »
    Helped out tonight on the beginners course, it's the 2nd week and they ran the weir which was great craic.
    One lad took a tumble and came out of his boat, so in we went for the rescue, one lad grabbed the boat and I went for the swimmer. I shouted at him to grab the front of my boat, all very relaxed but we were in the main flow, he refused and kept trying to swim over to his boat, I said grab my boat and I'll ferry you in out of the flow. He said I'm grand I'm grand - so I kinda just said fcuk it then and told him good luck with getting out of the flow. He had to be rescued about 50 feet down river.

I was baffled and a bit pissed off with the attitude, he did the same again on the second attempt.

WTF is that all about and has anyone ever encountered it before?
    Unfortunally yes it has happend to me.We were called out to a missing person call so three search teams deployed and searched for four hours. I was on a cliff edge looking down on to a beach when i spotted this guy sitting on a flat piece of rock down below i shouted down at him and got no responce so we set up or rope system and went down to him and the prat refused to come up we were two hours trying to get him up and he also refused medical treatment. So after all this messing around he decided to try and climb down he did not get to far and he was screaming for help all this messing around for hours instead of just coming up in the first place so yes i know how you feel .

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

You get that a lot. At somewhere like palmerstown (where I'm imagining you were) the flow doesn't look like much, particuarly when it's low. Some people cant see that they would need help and refuse it on the basis that they think it makes them look bad (particuarly as they are just after falling out doing something that many of their peers will have done sucessfully so they will feel the need to redem themselves in everyone elses eyes).

Just be firm with them and dont offer to help, tell them what to do. I'm sure it was done, but a quick breifing on what they are to do in that eventualty is usefull. I'd phrase it in such a way that says wait for an unconcias/t-rescue if they can, but if they cant the have to leave their boat, and to get to the bank ASAP with which there will be people to help them. I'd encourge them to hold onto paddle though and if they are going to make the swim to the bank themselves let them as it's a good habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

It happened me a lot actually, teenagers and adults were the worst. Ego takes a bashing and they try to take control of the situation themselves. The key is not to ask them what to do in a rescue, Tell them what to.

In a case like yours don't be afraid to pull them up over it. Make it clear that by ignoring your instruction they not only put themselves in danger but that of the leader and the rest of the group. Also that it's extra work and pain in the a*s for an instructor. 'Sorry dude but we have better things to be doing than chasing you down half the river when you could have been safe and dry ten minutes ago!'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

KenHy wrote: »
    You get that a lot. At somewhere like palmerstown (where I'm imagining you were) the flow doesn't look like much, particuarly when it's low. Some people cant see that they would need help and refuse it on the basis that they think it makes them look bad (particuarly as they are just after falling out doing something that many of their peers will have done sucessfully so they will feel the need to redem themselves in everyone elses eyes).

Just be firm with them and dont offer to help, tell them what to do. I'm sure it was done, but a quick breifing on what they are to do in that eventualty is usefull. I'd phrase it in such a way that says wait for an unconcias/t-rescue if they can, but if they cant the have to leave their boat, and to get to the bank ASAP with which there will be people to help them. I'd encourge them to hold onto paddle though and if they are going to make the swim to the bank themselves let them as it's a good habit.

Yeh it was Palmerstown and there was a small release so the there was a small stopper forming that threw him out, he was the only one to take a spin as he stopped paddling. I think he thought he could swim against the flow and then navigate the eddy which he didn't have the knowledge to do. Turns out he missed last week, the first night where they would have been getting rescued left right and centre on doing the capsize drill and games. See how he responds next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Get people refusing rescue the whole time. Normally it shows a lack of experience. anyone with experience will normally take the chance of an easier time to get back into their boat even if it is a bit embarassing. Also had people in dangerous situations refusing help. It can be frustrating especially when you get called out later to look for them. The best bet is to be firm in instructions and if they refuse explain to them why you recommend they take your help. Once they're in their right mind there's nothing more you can do. You can of course give them a bo**ocking later on if you had to go after them and they refused help earlier when it was safer/easier to provide it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Truley wrote: »
    It happened me a lot actually, teenagers and adults were the worst. Ego takes a bashing and they try to take control of the situation themselves. The key is not to ask them what to do in a rescue, Tell them what to.

In a case like yours don't be afraid to pull them up over it. Make it clear that by ignoring your instruction they not only put themselves in danger but that of the leader and the rest of the group. Also that it's extra work and pain in the a*s for an instructor. 'Sorry dude but we have better things to be doing than chasing you down half the river when you could have been safe and dry ten minutes ago!'

That's all good advice, I probably should have informed him afterwards of the potential hazards of his actions. I was chatting with one of the instructors today who said I did right and chances are he's learned his lesson in a very safe environment. When he's out on a river trip and he starts to learn about hazardous features like strainers, he'll be glad of the assistance!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭multisport

It happens all the time on beginners courses, people are just inexperienced and don't know that they can't swim as well/ as far as they think they can. People underestimate the flow of the water.

Usually I let them swim but stay with them as they swim, they either take a hold of your boat or are wrecked when they get to the bank.

It happens the world over. It's no harm to learn to swim to the bank anyway, it's another of the rescue tools to deploy. It's not always possible to get to the paddler/boat.

More experienced paddlers(swimmers) will make a call themselves whether they'll swim to the bank or hitch a ride.

As an instructor, don't take offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Its a long time since I was involved with beginners, but if one of them refused a rescue it would be the last time I would take them out.

Advertisement