Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My wheel just blew up.

• 10-05-2011 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭

As in the title, wasn't out cycling or anything. The bike was just sitting in the front room and next of all my self and my parents are startled by what sounded like a bomb going off outside.

Myself and my dad head out the front to see what was going on but found nothing so preceded to inspect inside.
    After a bit of messing around I noticed my wheel had gone flat, bam, that what it was.

It wasn't over inflated, I had it at ~70-75psi and the max is 80. The tube was never repaired but to be fair it'd been in the wheel for about a year so it could have just perished over time.

I'm glad I wasn't in the room when it went off, I think I could have lost my hearing it was so loud.

What do ye reckon?
    Old tube just perishing over time or could there be something wrong with the wheel.
    No spare tubes around the house so I'll be over at the bike shop tomorrow to grab a new one, worth taking the wheel with me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Placed near a radiator or source of heat by any chance? Anything to cause the air inside the tube to expand beyond what the tube was capable of holding?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Have you checked the wheel for damage? How old is it?

Has the tyre been inflated recently?

I would suggest taking the wheel to your LBS to get it checked over - you would probably prefer that not to happen when you're on the bike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Wasn't near a radiator, I pumped them up at about mid day yesterday so there was no sudden rise in pressure.

The type looks like it needs to be replaces, the lining at the bottom is starting to expose a little metal so I'll grab a new set tomorrow while I'm getting them to look at the wheel.

Even though the tyre can hold that much pressure, are all tubes able to handle it?
    I use to have much less pressure in them when I was using it offroad/in skate parks so it could have been a case of being to much for the specific tube?

Yeah, first thing I said was I'm happy I wasn't on the bike when it went.
    I've only recently started getting into road cycling so I wouldn't of had much control if it had went, not that anyone would but you know.

Found a recently punctured tube and patched that to throw inside, I've it inflated but only to ~60psi, bit afraid to put any more in before I get the wheel looked at.

The wheel's been on the bike since I got it in 2009, two big enough crashes but the last one was about a year ago and I haven't noticed anything wrong with it since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

What you describe most commonly happens with an incorrectly seated tyre bead, although generally within 24 hours (at most) of (re)fitting the tyre. From your description (showing metal) it sounds like the bead was damaged.

The tube will hold any pressure, the air is held in by the tyre and the rim. Sounds like an old/faulty tyre in this case.

That clears it up. :)

I'll buy some tyres tomorrow so, frustrating as it is when all I want to do with the bike is sell it for an upgrade but at least it'll be in good condition when I do. :rolleyes:

Cheers, lads. Glad I have people to turn to for advice. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Similar thing happened to me. Big bang, flat tyre (I was on the bike). Checked for thorns/glass/nails etc and nothing. Replaced tube. Got back on. 5 minutes later another big bang and the tyre flattens out instantly.

I was a bit puzzled for a while but when I put the third tube in I checked again after it was inflated. It turns out a hole had developed in the sidewall of the tyre. Under pressure the tube had pushed a bubble out through this hole like something out of one of those bowel cancer awareness ads. Obviously having a section of the tube living outside the tyre is asking for trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Front wheel or rear wheel? The consequences of this happening on the road with the front wheel are potentially much worse.

Any tears in the side wall? That can lead to explosive failure too.

EDIT: HivemindXX posted while I was writing my comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Treason

Check your rim tape before going out and getting new tires. If the rim tape is not straight, or if damaged, the tube will expand within an exposed crevis when pumped and can lead to it bursting in an almost random way even while the bike is just lying there. This is particularly so on double skinned rims.

Saw it happen last year. It took changing the tube 4 times before it was realised.

Edit, also ensure the rim tape is of good quality and thickness. If its thin then it will cause a blow-out as the pressure of the tube presses on the rim tape creating a crevice where the spoke holes are.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Front wheel or rear wheel? The consequences of this happening on the road with the front wheel are potentially much worse.

Any tears in the side wall? That can lead to explosive failure too.

EDIT: HivemindXX posted while I was writing my comment.

Rear wheel, thankfully.
    Don't see any tears in the side wall but there's about 3 inches of metal showing on the bead.
    droidus wrote: »

Last year this would have been relevant. :(
    Treason wrote: »
    Check your rim tape before going out and getting new tires. If the rim tape is not straight, or if damaged, the tube will expand within an exposed crevis when pumped and can lead to it bursting in an almost random way even while the bike is just lying there. This is particularly so on double skinned rims.

Saw it happen last year. It took changing the tube 4 times before it was realised.

Edit, also ensure the rim tape is of good quality and thickness. If its thin then it will cause a blow-out as the pressure of the tube presses on the rim tape creating a crevice where the spoke holes are.

Actually haven't got any rim tape! :o
    I've never used it since I got the bike and the LBS's never said anything to me about it. Do you need it on all rims?

I bought two new tyres today and was about to throw them on now, should I grab some tape first?

Got Schwable Marathon Plus if anyone's wondering. Quite a lot slimmer and slicker than what I had on so hopefully they'll be alright 'till I can afford a road bike.:rolleyes:

Edit: There is rim tap on the wheel. :rolleyes:
    It does seem pretty thin though, I'll pick some up shortly, probably not 'till next week though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement