Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it worth going to college?

Options
  • 10-05-2011 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I left school in my final year without doing the lc which was 3 years ago, I didn't go to college naturally but did a FETAC course which didn't interest me and left halfway through, and so went in search of a job, I was lucky enough to find one and even more fortunate that it paid well and allowed for career progression.

Right now I'm thinking I'd like to go to college this September, it's mostly out of a lifestyle change and because I feel trapped in the life I've made for myself and know I'm wasting my talents and could do so much more in life.
    What really inspires me is that I have friends who are the same age as me (22) and younger who have finished collage have their degrees and are now fully equipped and qualified in their chosen subject, in full employment and making real money, meanwhile I'm stuck earning a basic wage.
    Some of them are lawyers, others accountants etc.
    It makes me want to study something similar, like business, but is there any point if I have no leaving cert? How would I explain to an employer if I've completed college but didn't leave school with and real credentials save for the junior cert?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

, but is there any point if I have no leaving cert? How would I explain to an employer if I've completed college but didn't leave school with and real credentials save for the junior cert?

yes, very much so is the answer, despite all the nonsense you'll hear to the counter.

as for above, utterly irrelevant to an employer, even an academic one.
    you're judged on most recent education.

best of luck with it.

life is short, so when you've no kids to feed etc, take the opportunity - you will not regret it

(ps, it is possible to do as many LC subjects as you want - as an external student, but it's utterly unnecessary, career wise.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

ArtSmart wrote: »
    as for above, utterly irrelevant to an employer, even an academic one.

Not so sure about this. Employers are free to evaluate based on their own criteria, provided they don't break the rules. Employers are entitled to ask and judge any result you may or may not have obtained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

ArtSmart wrote: »
    yes, very much so is the answer, despite all the nonsense you'll hear to the counter.
    Here are 60 minutes of nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Absolutely, go back and enjoy it, at 22 you will be significantly more mature than your classmates and will be in a better life space to chose what you really want to do and highly motivated to achieve.

As to what employers think, I have hired many :-) (and fired a few :-( ) over the years and I can say without reservation that I rate people that go back to college or study for their qualifications by night very highly.

You will come across as someone that took a different life path, capable of making difficult decisions and follow through to achieve a life goal.

Go for it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Nolanger wrote: »
    Here are 60 minutes of nonsense!

That video is by the NIA who are dump and dump scammers. Peter Schiff explains it here. In a nutshell they make documentaries and offer advice in the hope to build up goodwill, and they promote penny stocks hoping people will trust them enough to buy them.

But back on topic...

College is definitely a great idea. It will open up employment opportunities, teach you how to think in a structured way, and in general it's great fun.

You don't have to be broke when you're in college either. Get a part-time job (e.g. www.parttimejobs.ie) to help pay the way, and truly embrace a student lifestyle without the expensive boozing! You would be amazed how cheaply you can live if you put your mind to it.

A massive advantage of getting a degree in particular is it allows you to go to places like China and Japan and teach English. You must have a degree to do this.

You're only 22 so you're still very young so have loads of time to get an education. You won't regret it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

is there any point if I have no leaving cert? How would I explain to an employer if I've completed college but didn't leave school with and real credentials save for the junior cert?

From what I know employers don't look for a Leaving Cert. My cousin did his Leaving Cert but lost it but he was still able to find a job because he had necessary qualifications within the field. That means a degree or a pHD.

You will get both by attending college but really once you are prepared you will be able to go out into the world and seek employment even in difficult times like now.

College should be fun, you can join clubs & socs to meet people with the same interests as you and it will be better than going into a low-paid job that you will eventually get pissed off about and want a change.

I can't speak first-hand for college as I'm going there in sept and have never been myself but I've heard nothing but good reviews from most Irish alumni.

Do it and there will be plenty of jobs by the time you have your qualifications.

Good luck:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭lace

I've met plenty of people in college who never did the leaving cert! They did other FETAC courses, worked in a similar field to the course they ended up in and showed a high aptitude for their subjects of choice. It's definitely possible to get into a course. You should look into going as a mature student, as you'll be entitled to extra financial help. Some colleges offer 3-year level 8 degrees, so maybe one of those would suit you?

lace wrote: »
    Some colleges offer 3-year level 8 degrees, so maybe one of those would suit you?

I doubt this. Maybe in the UK, but not here. Unless it's a private college or an Arts course.

OP - If you actually need a degree go for it(Medicine etc). However, if it's just to prove you can earn a degree while not earning, I would not do it. You can continue working and do college through the Open University. Fulltime would be a waste if you already are well established in a job. Personally, I would not drop full time employment just for the chance of going to college fulltime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭lace

Naikon wrote: »
    I doubt this. Maybe in the UK, but not here. Unless it's a private college or an Arts course.

I know DCU do a lot of 3-year courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I, personally would do a year at either evening school or the open university first. You keep your job and discover if you can hack academia. as you want a business degree, there are plenty of courses out there and they will only benefit your career prospects, even if you don't end up going to college. Just think for a minute, there was a reason you didn't do the leaving. Some people are better at getting on in life by actually working than by getting a degree and then not finding a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 alarmemo

I've spent a significant amount of my adult life in uni/college. I would totally recomment it. It took me three attempts to decide what to do. I'm now studying for my masters. I've worked my entire way through it. Taken two years out and gone back. If you love learning college is the way to go. Its opened up so many avenues for me and I've meet so many interesting people.

The fact that your that little older will stand in your stead. From experience, you'll know exactly what you want, what your interested in and be much more able to balance things out in a managable way.

Also if you wait until your 23, the state will cover the tuition. Before that I'm nearly sure you need to do the leaving cert in some form to access college. Check out citizens information for information on fees. Also, I would recommend looking at some text books in the field that your thinking about to evaluate how much you can sustain your interest in the area your thinking of entering.

Much more easier to study something in depth that your interested in, rather than forcing your way through it for the sake of it

Advertisement