Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to convert file ''m4a'' to ''mp3''???

• 11-05-2011 12:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

can anyone here tell me how to convert ''m4a'' file to ''mp3'' using windows media player? its for uploading a song on a site that will only accept mp3 format. The file somebody sent me says ''mp3'' but downloaded as ''m4a''.

Any suggestions and help would be appreciated.

Jammy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Go to zamZar.com

You should be able to upload it in one format and change it to another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

itunes will covert that just import to library, I think its right click and then Create MP3 version. (Im using a mac so I cant confirm its same on Windows)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

FISMA wrote: »
    Go to zamZar.com

You should be able to upload it in one format and change it to another.

No it is in mp3 format. I think what my problem is is that the website requires that it be uploaded at 192kbps ( higest quality ) and wont accept anything else. So how to I change the 192kbps ?

I dunno. Gonna convert it to m4a and then back again and see what happens.

I dont have itunes on windows is it downloadable for free?

Jam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Steer clear of itunes if you can.

One quick google of "m4a to mp3 free" came up with this freebie:

http://download.cnet.com/Free-M4a-to-MP3-Converter/3000-2140_4-187723.html give it a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,576 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

have you tried to just rename the m4a extension to mp3?

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »
    have you tried to just rename the m4a extension to mp3?

Hi Skerries. Here is what happens. It tells me that the format is in mp3 and it was sent me by an an e-mail. But when I choose to open it with media player it wont open and I get this message that the file has an extension .mp3 that the media player does not recognize. that I can go ahead and play it anyway but it could cause problems. I choose to go ahead and play it anyway and it wont play it at all. So I thought it must be just media player and the site that requires I upload the song at mp3 192kbps wont upload it and says that ''it is an unidentified format''

is it a case of renaming as you say? if so how would I do that? and if not what am I to do?

Jammy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Im very confused now.

Is the file an mp3 or m4a?

fionny wrote: »
    Im very confused now.

Is the file an mp3 or m4a?

it was sent as an Mp3 file from a friend who has a mac computer and converted it using itunes. so the file is mp3 actually and not m4a.

But...what is strange is that it will play in the VLC player and not Windows media player. however I have mp3 files that I ripped to windows media in the desired mp3 format desired by the site and it uploaded fine.

is it because he is sending it via Mac computer through itunes?

:confused:
    Jam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If you get Audacity and the 'lame' mp3 encoder DLL, you can import it and export it and choose the bitrate you want for the exported version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

You want to 'transcode' an audio file, basically.

Just use WinFF. Free and safe.

http://winff.org/

winfftranscode.gif

Simple and straightforward interface. Quick and easy.

Converts just about anything to anything, even when it doesn't particularly make sense..

• Advertisement
Advertisement