Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help please

Options
  • 11-05-2011 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Basically im just looking for advice. My boyfriend is a great guy but he's morbidly obese and does not seem to be doing anything about it.
    I have no problem with the weight from an attraction point but I've told him not to even consider proposing to me until he loses the weight because I do not want to be a widow within a few years!

A year before i met him He was in an accident that caused serious injury to his leg, he was in and out of hospital for around a year and he claims this was the reason he gained the weight. He says he can't do much exercise because his leg is badly damaged, however last year we completed an 80k charity cycle but he didn't keep it up. He has also joined two gyms and hasn't committed to them either. It's not that he's lazy he just has no energy after work and I can't get him to do anything.

How do I motivate him to lose weight for his health without sounding like a nag, I've tried everything. I have to lose some weight myself so I know how hard it is but I play sports and am back training now. I don't know what to do with him and I know he's miserable because of it. I appreciate all suggestions.

He has tried weightwatchers before but didn't stick to it and the motivation weight clinic is too expensive, also surgery is out of the question. Apologies for the long post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is he actually morbidly obese (BMI over 40) or just a lot overweight. There is a difference and what he should/could do probably differs too. The reason I ask it that I can't imagine a morbidly obese man completeign a 80k cycle (even if he didn't keep it up afterwards)

You mention that he joined gyms as well as weight watchers but didn't stick to these either. That's pretty much the biggest problem. Nobody can force him to make the change he needs to want to change. You say he isn't lazy and is just tired after work. Who isn't? Everyone trying to lose weight has days when they don't feel like going. Losing weight means losing it anyway. But, tbh, that isn't the main issue.

He didn't gain the weight because of the accident, he gained it because he ate or eats too much. I'm not trying to be overly harsh, but thats a simple truth. A severe injury makes excercise harder, but that means you simple have eat less as your body has less demand for fuel. Excercise will obviously help, but its not his biggest issue.

More importantly, is diet. To lose weight he'll simple need to eat healthy, and eat in reasonable portions. At the end of the day, to lose body fat you need to strict calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭legallyblonde86

He used to do weight lifting before the accident so he dis train, he's very broad and to look at him you wouldn't think is is as heavy as he is because he is so tall. His bmi is 42 and he was told by the doctor he's morbidly obese, you're not being harsh, he k ows himself what he has to do but I just need new ways to motivate him, just fed up myself of saying it to him

Advertisement