Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Education Allowance

Options
  • 11-05-2011 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi,

I have just been offered a place on a course starting in September. As i am not working at the moment, i will be applying for BTEA.

I am just wondering do i apply now or do i wait until i start in September?
    And also would i be entitled to a maintenance grant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

suzycat wrote: »
    I am just wondering do i apply now or do i wait until i start in September?
    And also would i be entitled to a maintenance grant?

You can apply for BTEA when you have been offered a place but I would leave it till nearer the time, maybe August. The best thing to do is to talk to DSP and ask if they will accept the application now as you have a firm offer.

If you are currently on Jobseekers Allowance or Benefit and you are transferring to BTEA then you wont be eligible for the Maintenance grant. You will still have to apply for it though to have your registration fees covered.

If you are on OPFP or Disability then you can keep these payments while you study and apply for the maintenance grant.

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭suzycat

Thanks for that paperclip2!

Should i apply for the grant now or wait till nearer the time?

Sorry don't have a clue about these things!!

The grant application forms wont be ready until next month at the earliest and will be available to download from Co. Council and VEC websites as well as studentfinance.ie

You could be getting together the information you will need for the application as this may take some time to put together.

Generally you will be asked for a copy of your full birthcert and your letter of offer from CAO / college, (if you dont have one when sending in your application make note of this and forward it as soon as you receive it). You will also need a cert from Social Welfare detailing what you received from them in 2010, Jan to Dec.

Other documentation can include P45, P60, P21 Balancing Statement for people who were in work, Separation or Maintenance agreements if relevant, and /or audited accounts if you were self employed.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

paperclip2 wrote: »
    You can apply for BTEA when you have been offered a place but I would leave it till nearer the time, maybe August. The best thing to do is to talk to DSP and ask if they will accept the application now as you have a firm offer.

If you are currently on Jobseekers Allowance or Benefit and you are transferring to BTEA then you wont be eligible for the Maintenance grant. You will still have to apply for it though to have your registration fees covered.

If you are on OPFP or Disability then you can keep these payments while you study and apply for the maintenance grant.

Hope this helps :)

How long do u have to be on disability before u can apply for btea does it take long to transfer from Jsa to disability?

smyths wrote: »
    How long do u have to be on disability before u can apply for btea does it take long to transfer from Jsa to disability?

If you are on a Disability payment or Illness benefit you need to get permission from DSP to take up education. To qualify fro BTEA from Illness benefit you need to be on that payment for 2 years. See below.

From DSP website www.welfare.ie

Rules
    To qualify for the Back to Education Allowance, you must be at least 21 years of age (24 years of age for a third-level postgraduate course). For exceptions to the age limit - see below.

If you wish to attend a second level course you must be getting one of the social welfare payments listed below for at least 3 months (78 days of unemployment*) immediately before you start the course.

If you wish to attend a third level course you must be getting one of the social welfare payments listed below for 9 months (234 days of unemployment*) immediately before you start the course.

*If you are getting a jobseeker's payment, each day you are unemployed, except Sunday, is counted as a day of unemployment.

Qualifying social welfare payments are:

Jobseeker's Allowance or Jobseeker's Benefit
    Farm Assist
    One-Parent Family Payment
    Deserted Wife's Benefit/Allowance
    Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's (Contributory) Pension
    Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's (Non-Contributory) Pension
    Prisoners Wife's Allowance
    Carer's Allowance

If you are getting Illness Benefit for 2 years or more you can also qualify for the Allowance.

If you are getting one of the social welfare payments listed below, you can choose to stay on your current social welfare payment and apply for a maintenance grant or transfer to the BTEA.

One-Parent Family Payment
    Disability Allowance
    Invalidity Pension
    Illness Benefit

I don't know how long it would take to transfer from JSA to Disability. You would need to speak to DSP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 sugajay

I'd suggest that you apply for the grant as soon as the application process opens in June. Then apply for BTEA in July/August.

Note that you cannot get the full grant and BTEA, you can get the 'grant' to pay your tutuion fees and the get hte BTEA each week, which is very handy!

Best of luck with your studies!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JD81

Hi, i am also looking to apply for a grant, i'm currently on jobseekers allowence, would i be right in saying theres no point in going to my local vec untill june?

JD81 wrote: »
    Hi, i am also looking to apply for a grant, i'm currently on jobseekers allowence, would i be right in saying theres no point in going to my local vec untill june?

I think so. I know our VEC is saying early to mid June before the forms will be available. This year to cut costs most people will be asked to download them from the VEC, Co. Council and studentfinance.ie websites

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭B1977

JD81 wrote: »

My advice is to make contact with the social welfare and your local VEC office now.You ll be able to make contact with a person for future reference,sometimes these things can drag on if you leave it till the end of August

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 i dunno fella

paperclip2 wrote: »
    If you are on a Disability payment or Illness benefit you need to get permission from DSP to take up education. To qualify fro BTEA from Illness benefit you need to be on that payment for 2 years. See below.

From DSP website www.welfare.ie

I don't know how long it would take to transfer from JSA to Disability. You would need to speak to DSP.

hi,

I've been accepted to start a post grad course in September which qualifies for the BTEA. I will be unemployed for the required 9months by September but I was working casually (2days/week) in September to December. Also I went aboard and worked for March and April. Does this mean i will not be able to get BTEA because I worked. Do any of you know how strict they are on the "9months IMMEDIATELY before course starts" criteria. Hope you can help, and hope I'm not disqualified because i went looking for and got work.

• Advertisement

hi,

I've been accepted to start a post grad course in September which qualifies for the BTEA. I will be unemployed for the required 9months by September but I was working casually (2days/week) in September to December. Also I went aboard and worked for March and April. Does this mean i will not be able to get BTEA because I worked. Do any of you know how strict they are on the "9months IMMEDIATELY before course starts" criteria. Hope you can help, and hope I'm not disqualified because i went looking for and got work.

I'm assuming you signed off for March and April as you went abroad. That could be a problem. There may be a degree of flexibility as the BTEA is not a statutory payment, its awarded at the discretion of the DSP facilitator. I have seen them in the past aggregate a persons signing on history to make up the required 9 months but its quite a long shot, especially when funding is so tight.

The best thing you can do is talk to your local Job Facilitator in DSP. Usually you can get in touch with them via your signing on office. Alternatively you could speak to the BTEA head office in Carrick-on-Shannon
    Tel (071) 967 2616 or Locall: 1890 927 999

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 i dunno fella

Thanks Paperclip2,

I rang citizens info this first thing this morning and they told me that the rules they were given, state it had to be 9 months immediately before course but they gave me phone number to the BTEA office and told me to give them a bell. BTEA office basically said what you said. They weren't sure but there might be a chance. I think it will depend on my job facilitator. So fingers crosssed!!!

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Advertisement