Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oz in September/teaching/Brisbane?

Options
  • 11-05-2011 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hey all,
    So I'm joining the masses and flying to Australia in September. After years of talking about it, its finally upon me and I'm starting to have serious cold feet about it. I'm just about finished the PGDE (secondary teaching) and I've done as much research as I can into teaching in Australia (Queensland specifically)...I have a friend who will be in Brisbane soon and she should be able to suss out the teaching situation for me, but I'm wondering does anyone on here have any experience with teaching in Australia? Or am I wasting my time leaving Ireland? Obviously I'm only going on a WHV but am I going to be completely dismissed when it comes to teaching jobs!? Apparently things aren't as bad here teaching-wise as everyone says...

Also, on another note, we're planning on going to Brisbane. Is there much happening up there or should I consider heading to Melbourne/Perth first? I hear it's hard to get work on the WHV...is there much anti-Irish feeling up around Brisbane?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Hi Joan,

I'm working with the dept. of Edu at the moment, are you sure you can get hired as a teacher on a WHV?. All permanent NSW government jobs require you to be an Australian permanent resident at a minimum and I don't think they hire teachers on a contract basis?.

It might be worthwhile contacting whichever state department you are thinking of teaching in and asking them this. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 kevrr

joaneire wrote: »
    Also, on another note, we're planning on going to Brisbane. Is there much happening up there or should I consider heading to Melbourne/Perth first? I hear it's hard to get work on the WHV...is there much anti-Irish feeling up around Brisbane?

Don't know much about teaching, but with regared to Brisbane etc.... It's a grand city to live in, no problems. But if you had the choice, Melbourne is a lot nicer in terms of stuff to do and just being a more fun city.

Also, the anti-Irish feeling? Really it's not an issue, in Brisbane or anywhere else I've been in Oz. If anything, being Irish is often a positive thing with a lot of the people you'll meet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 joaneire

Feelgood wrote: »
    Hi Joan,

I'm working with the dept. of Edu at the moment, are you sure you can get hired as a teacher on a WHV?. All permanent NSW government jobs require you to be an Australian permanent resident at a minimum and I don't think they hire teachers on a contract basis?.

It might be worthwhile contacting whichever state department you are thinking of teaching in and asking them this. :)

Well I wouldn't be looking for a permanent job anyway, because on the WHV you can only work for 6 months in any one company. I would be looking for contract/supply work, and as far as I know, this is available in QLD. If all comes to all I can do the year in Oz, and then hit NZ, where there's a demand for teachers apparently, it would just be a pity to spend a year in Oz missing out on teaching experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 joaneire

kevrr wrote: »
    Also, the anti-Irish feeling? Really it's not an issue, in Brisbane or anywhere else I've been in Oz. If anything, being Irish is often a positive thing with a lot of the people you'll meet.

This is definitely encouraging, because I've heard all the horror stories! A lot of threads are saying that its hard to get work once companies see WHV and hear the Irish accent. I have a friend in Brisbane and she went hell for leather in getting a job in Randstad, and made sure that sponsorship would be there for her. She said she hasn't come across any anti-Irish feeling, and the only thing that went against her in finding work was the WHV. However, unless I'm teaching, there is NO way I'll get sponsored, and getting the supply work seems to be the hardest thing. Looks like I won't be teaching at all in Australia!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Feelgood wrote: »
    Hi Joan,

You can definitely get a teaching job on a WHV, plenty of people I know have done it.
    Though none of them had full time jobs, usually they were contracting through an agency

• Advertisement
Advertisement