Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fern/bracken poisoning? Anyone had a case lately? Advice please

• 11-05-2011 2:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭

I have a 12 week old heifer calf that i spotted eating young green ferns lastnight.

Moved them out of that field this morning and keeping an eye on her since. Have asulox waiting for them for july so dont want to cut them:mad:

my father lost usually bucket fed calves to them years back, neighbour lost a fine springer more recently, just wondered what ye thought? Is there anything i can give her as a preventative measure? she had no more than 36 hrs access to them but was clippin away at the tops, no other animal bothering with them as plenty of grass in it:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

she should be ok . monitor her carefully, initial symptoms would be raised temperature, there would be specs of blood in the dung, and also watch for blood droplets in the whites of the eyes

if you are worried you might discuss with your vet re a course of Vitamin K, however be very very careful injecting and handling her as she could bleed at injection site

as mentioned above I think you would be very unlucky if she developed fern poising after such short at this time of year,

Ferns are more dangerous from july onwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Thanks snowman

I'm watching her like a hawk but so far so good. She got very little time in there so i know what you're saying I'd be very unlucky for her to get enough of them into her... It'd be a balls to lose one over something avoidable!! She'll see no more of that particular field. What drew my attention to her was that she was chewing little bits of timber off of a flattened ESB pole ... Think would she be lacking in something ? Could you bolus an animal that young .. 11 weeks?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭the al kid

AFAIK the effects of eating fern dont manifest for three to four months in cattle.It affects the immune system and blood clotting mechanism both of which are totally compromised.As sugested a vit K injection may help and possibly a multi mineral dose or bolus may reduce the eating behaviour pattern.If only a few days exposure I dont think it will be an issue.

Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

the al kid wrote: »
    AFAIK the effects of eating fern dont manifest for three to four months in cattle.It affects the immune system and blood clotting mechanism both of which are totally compromised.As sugested a vit K injection may help and possibly a multi mineral dose or bolus may reduce the eating behaviour pattern.If only a few days exposure I dont think it will be an issue.

Al

thanks al,

i think that she is grand. does vitamin k aid the blood system?

i remember the one my dad lost years ago the vet injecting her and blood on all her neck where the needle entry points were:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭the al kid

The vit K is used to treat warfarin poisoning in dogs and that is the reason it might have some effect in cattle.You may let her take potluck now.Any time bracken poisoning has been an issue it has been following a late hash spring where grass growth has been poor and bracken was eaten as an alternative.

Al

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Bodacious wrote: »
    Thanks snowman

What drew my attention to her was that she was chewing little bits of timber off of a flattened ESB pole ... Think would she be lacking in something ? Could you bolus an animal that young .. 11 weeks?

Thanks again

she could get small boluses or a drench something like Growvite, however I would be also thinking along the lines of slight digestive problems and the animal is looking for extra fibre , just keep it in mind

Bodacious wrote: »
    thanks al,

i think that she is grand. does vitamin k aid the blood system?

i remember the one my dad lost years ago the vet injecting her and blood on all her neck where the needle entry points were:mad:

as I mentioned above be very careful injecting , you need the smallest gauge needle you can use , they will bleed also no rough handling

we have only had 1 case in my 50 years farming ..a bought in cow eventhough the first vet misdiagnosed her and treated for pneumonia , she went on to make a full recovery

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/210400.htm

Advertisement