Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nice places to live in and around drogheda

Options
  • 11-05-2011 3:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hello,
    Were planning a trip to drogheda to look at property.
    Are there any areas that are recommended or any to be avoided?
    We have a budget of 60-100k euros to buy a 2 bed place.
    The property is going to be a place for my parents to bring the grandkids every now and then and also a place for me to stay when I need a break from London.
    From dub8 originally but have been living and working in London for years.

Ideally we are looking for somewhere with beautiful scenery, possibly with a sea view or at least a short bus ride to the coast. Also needs to either be in drogheda itself or a short bus/taxi ride( don't want too much of an ordeal getting home after a few jars, ha) I can see my self spending a lot of time there if I like it : ) are the people generally friendly or can they be a bit cold with outsiders?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
    Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mr. 2

All you'll get for that budget is a site, apartment or small town house.

Do some research on www.daft.ie before you make the trip. Pretty much everything for sale in Louth will be on that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

There are no sea views in Drogheda i'm afraid! will a river do :D

It's about 10 minutes from the coast, you could buy in one of the villages along the coast if you want to be near a beach, termonfeckin, clogherhead, bettystown,mornington, laytown

• Registered Users Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭positron

Rossin wrote: »
    There are no sea views in Drogheda i'm afraid! will a river do :D

May be they are really really tall... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

60-100k won't get you much of the good in a nice area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

gebbel wrote: »
    60-100k won't get you much of the good in a nice area.
    Maybe not yet but very very soon. I saw a 1 bed apartment with a parking space in the Leader last week for €49,000. And that's the asking price!!

3 bed semi next to me is has gone from €225K - €195K - and now €180K. I would say €140K offer might get it. According to Daft.ie houses are going for about 10% less than asking price around the country.

They still have a bit to drop.

• Advertisement

Clogherhead?

1 minute walk to beach...

Looks OK... €125 asking but as I said... lower offers are getting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

Scotty # wrote: »
    Clogherhead?

1 minute walk to beach...

Looks OK... €125 asking but as I said... lower offers are getting them.

That one looks nice but it is in the village of Termonfeckin, which is a lovely village, I think it would take a bit longer than a minute to walk to the beach, but prob could be walked in 10/20 mins.

lol so it is... It said Clogherhead on the pic I clicked. I see they also have it advertised as Drogheda elsewhere.

I was going by the 'Features' which says "minute walk to beach" :D.

It is a lovely little village though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 walsh350

I only started researching yesterday : ). I think we are going to wait until next year. Will have a bigger budget then and hopefully price will drop a bit further. We are still going to make a trip soon to have a look around. At least I have a rough idea of where to look now.
    Am pretty much set on drogheda or somewhere close. Seems to have a real character to the place. Had a real laugh last night just reading through some of the threads on this louth board. I've definitely got to visit that cinema in drogheda! Can a place like that really exist? Haha.

Termonfeckin and clogherhead are to be investigated : ) . Even if we go a bit further inland being 10 mins from the sea would be lovely.

Are there any nice areas that might be good to live in drogheda itself?

Thanks : ) whatever small difference it makes, will be nice to bring some money home :)

Paul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Scotty # wrote: »
    Maybe not yet but very very soon. I saw a 1 bed apartment with a parking space in the Leader last week for €49,000. And that's the asking price!!

Yeah I saw that. I think it's in an apartment block facing Scotch Hall where there was a fire in the underground car park a few years back. I would imagine it's priced so low for a reason.

Agree that there is great value out there but I also reckon we have pretty much hit rock bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

gebbel wrote: »
    Agree that there is great value out there but I also reckon we have pretty much hit rock bottom.

I thought that too but after contacting several people in the know and doing a bit of research it looks like we haven't, I was looking into getting a mortgage and buying a house as my rent in Dublin is so high at the minute that it would easily cover a decent mortgage.

However it was pointed out to me that if i bought now I would probably lose more value in the house over the next 3 years than my rent would cost me. So I was advised to wait even longer.

That said I might just go for it next year. I'd be looking for somewhere in Drogheda too and communing to Dublin, although that M1 would drive anyone insane driving it every day!

The loan to value ratio the bank is giving is a good indicator.

60% for AIB and BOI I think. That means to buy a house you have to have 40% of the cost yourself. This ratio is the cushion the bank gives itself in case of devaluation. So you won't fall into negative equity (ie. your assets don't cover your loan).

A 40% cushion means the banks still see a big potential for more devaluation. There are simply far more houses for sale than there are people who are in a position to buy. Until this changes prices will continue to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭gipi

draffodx wrote: »
    I'd be looking for somewhere in Drogheda too and communing to Dublin, although that M1 would drive anyone insane driving it every day!

Actually, the M1 isn't as bad as it used to be a few years ago! I'm waaaayyy less insane these days....:P

Advertisement