Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports & Geeky Gardaí

• 11-05-2011 4:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey there forum regulars!
    I've always played with the idea of applying for a job with the Gardaí, and lately I've been seriously considering it. Now I'm a smart guy and I'm pretty good with words, so the written exams probably won't be much of a hurdle. The thing is that I'm not particularly sporty, if you know what I mean.

Don't get me wrong, I'm six feet tall and I'm pretty light on my feet, so I've got a physical presence (and anything I lack in that regard I could probably work on in one of those gym thingamajigs). What I meant is that I'm kind of a nerd. You know, the closest I've come to being on a team sport is playing first person shooters over the internet :p

I was looking through various threads on here and I've noticed people mentioning sporting achievements and physical education training as plus points for applicants. I'm just wondering, would someone like me (i.e. someone who has little to no interest in sports) be either a) disadvantaged or b) out-of-place among the Gardaí?

I'm talking both as an applicant and in general. Would it be hard to find someone on the force to share my love of sci-fi, film, video games, etc? That may seem like a shallow question, but I was living in a house last year with about 10 people from the country who were all hardcore hurling/GAA-heads who couldn't tell you the difference between a playstation and a dishwasher, and it was actually rather lonely.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭thelongwait

Hey there forum regulars!
    I've always played with the idea of applying for a job with the Gardaí, and lately I've been seriously considering it. Now I'm a smart guy and I'm pretty good with words, so the written exams probably won't be much of a hurdle. The thing is that I'm not particularly sporty, if you know what I mean.

Don't get me wrong, I'm six feet tall and I'm pretty light on my feet, so I've got a physical presence (and anything I lack in that regard I could probably work on in one of those gym thingamajigs). What I meant is that I'm kind of a nerd. You know, the closest I've come to being on a team sport is playing first person shooters over the internet :p

I was looking through various threads on here and I've noticed people mentioning sporting achievements and physical education training as plus points for applicants. I'm just wondering, would someone like me (i.e. someone who has little to no interest in sports) be either a) disadvantaged or b) out-of-place among the Gardaí?

I'm talking both as an applicant and in general. Would it be hard to find someone on the force to share my love of sci-fi, film, video games, etc? That may seem like a shallow question, but I was living in a house last year with about 10 people from the country who were all hardcore hurling/GAA-heads who couldn't tell you the difference between a playstation and a dishwasher, and it was actually rather lonely.

Hi James,
    You dont need to be in to sports, i never played any sports, i have a huge interest in soccer but never played and never set foot in a gym till my mid 20s. you will however need some level of fitness to pass the fitness test but this can easily be achieved in a gym. Just sign up to a gym and tell the instructor why your there, and they tell you exactly what you need to do.
    Its not just as simple as being fit tho, fitness test is the last part of recruitment. You have to pass an aptitude test, interview, background check, and medical first. once you pass all these stages it doesnt matter what your in to.

Advertisement