Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swords League Race #5 11/05/11 - Corduff Circuit

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

eoin9288 wrote: »
    Ah yes forgot about that. Unfortunately I was on the outside of the chap above. Jaysus I thought we were off to do a circuit of the Bog o the Ring to finish off.......now that would be a way to finish!! No worries. These things happen.

Didn't realise I took someone else with me. Really sorry about that.
    shaungil wrote:
    Oh and Pren we proabably should erect sandbags for the lads who need some "ahem " help knowing where to turn.

You can just piss off ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

kennyb3 wrote: »
    I would be in Shauns camp, unless you have a chance of winning the league overall what do a few points in a club league race mean? okay a win one day would be nice i guess.

But I'd prefer to hammer myself, than wait around on a group and miss some turns, with the aim of improving myself and inflicting pain on myself and others.

Ya true KB and this is what I eventually decided. The way to think of the club league is to use it as training and get the most out of it as possible. I don't plan on anymore A3/A4 races this year but maybe next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

kennyb3 wrote: »
    I would be in Shauns camp, unless you have a chance of winning the league overall what do a few points in a club league race mean? okay a win one day would be nice i guess.

But I'd prefer to hammer myself, than wait around on a group and miss some turns, with the aim of improving myself and inflicting pain on myself and others.

I don't understand that mentality. I race to win, never do but try my hardest and bust a gut in trying. Really think Martyn Irvine gives a toss about winning the last two league races? Not in the sligest I would imagine but he still won. If you're good enough to win then win, if you're not keep trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Hungrycol wrote: »
    I don't understand that mentality. I race to win, never do but try my hardest and bust a gut in trying. Really think Martyn Irvine gives a toss about winning the last two league races? Not in the sligest I would imagine but he still won. If you're good enough to win then win, if you're not keep trying.
    A win will come along if you're good enough obviously. But would i slow up to re attach to a group so we could stay away from a faster group in the hope i might win? Probably not, id prob prefer to hammer myself in the hope that id be in that faster group down the line.

Its about improving not winning for me.

As for Martyn im sure he got to where he is by improving not by sitting in bunches hoping for wins.

Everybody is different and has their own objectives im sure.

Anyway i dont know what im s'hitting on about im not even riding at present due to injury, im just a keyboard warrior:D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm aiming at getting anything more than the 2 points for turning up in any League race - if I could get a win I would be absolutely ecstatic.

Latest stategy is to marshall next week (3 points:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭pprendeville

shaungil wrote: »
    Beasty you have it all wrong.

The whole point is to make people suffer including yourself. I have never placed in one of these races and never want to.
    If I'm strong in a group then I dole out pain if I can and try to stay away from the group behind as long as possible.

If we're caught by the group behind where there are stronger riders than me then I accept the suffering will be doled to me. All the suffering makes you stronger and then open races are a doddle.

Am I doing something wrong?;)

Oh and Pren we proabably should erect sandbags for the lads who need some "ahem " help knowing where to turn.

And of course bad as Sandbaggers on I hate scrubbers more.

my cycling vocab leaves a lot to be desired. scrubber? ce? i am from barcelona. i know nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

my cycling vocab leaves a lot to be desired. scrubber? ce? i am from barcelona. i know nothing.

Someone who does no work, aka Staro.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Raam wrote: »
    Someone who does no work, aka Staro.
    Can also be applied to boardsies posting at around 3 o'clock in the afternoon;)

btw - where's staro's race report?

Didn't realise I took someone else with me. Really sorry about that.

You can just piss off ;)

thought i saw someone slip you a score after the race lasnite. rekon that going past the turn-off sounds dodgy. :D

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Can also be applied to boardsies posting at around 3 o'clock in the afternoon;)

I'm running a build.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

O ya forgot to say. Beasty I had a look around at all the other bikes last night and you're right....I didn't even see one other bike with that plastic disc thingy on the back wheel/hub! Does this mean I'm unique or just sad?? :o

Also is it easy to take off??:confused:

O ya forgot to say. Beasty I had a look around at all the other bikes last night and you're right....I didn't even see one other bike with that plastic disc thingy on the back wheel/hub! Does this mean I'm unique or just sad?? :o
    Innocent is the word that comes to mine
    Also is it easy to take off??:confused:
    Yes - either take the cassette off, or get some strong scissors - the weight saving will have you flying up that hill next time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Staro = Scrubber = League champion. some time sandbagger.

Is well able to work but chooses not to and saves himself for the finish. Gets points wins league. Goes in easier group when he can and does the minimum of work in each group he's in.

Me attacks constantly goes through too hard on up and overs pisses off guys on my wheel ruin rhythm of group. By time it comes to finish legs are hanging off and generally don't bother competing in sprint. Want to get in a good workout and fall off the bike in a heap

Hold on a sec I can see what I'm doing wrong.:)

We're all different and each to their own that's why we are human.

To be fair to Staro he has changed his ways big time this year. He's much better in a group than I am and now is even starting to enjoy suffering.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

We're all different and each to their own that's why we are human.

There are doubt's as to how human you are.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Beasty you have it all wrong.

The whole point is to make people suffer including yourself. I have never placed in one of these races and never want to.
    If I'm strong in a group then I dole out pain if I can and try to stay away from the group behind as long as possible.

If we're caught by the group behind where there are stronger riders than me then I accept the suffering will be doled to me. All the suffering makes you stronger and then open races are a doddle.

Am I doing something wrong?;)

And of course bad as Sandbaggers on I hate scrubbers more.

Having being subjected to your verbal bashing yesterday please clarify the term "scrubber". Oh and much props to you and your bro for "stopping" that big black car that I nearly creamed coming onto the R132!

• Advertisement

Marshals ain't there to stop cars, they can only warn riders that a car is approaching and warn the car that riders are approaching.

Marshals ain't there to stop cars, they can only warn riders that a car is approaching and warn the car that riders are approaching.

Who asked you? You're like Lisa Simpson - Swords's answer to the question nobody asked!

:P:P:P

@ LuskDoyle - sorry about the pinch. Didn't mean to frighten you.

No probs man. At least I know how u feel about me now! Stay away from you from now on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭honkjelly

Moved into semi scratch and found the rhythm much better than group 3 last week. Sure it broke down now and again but it was the exception rather than the rule. We rode hard from the gun and stuck together till the first climb when 4ish of us went clear. Our numbers grew as we mopped up people on the run into Ballyboughal and we worked well for about half a lap and were just about to catch group 3 when scratch caught us.
    The pace ramped up but i kept on doing my turns and on the hill it was just a matter of not losing the wheel in front and we were really motoring when we caught group 2. The pace was ok down into Ballyboughal but ramped again as some of the lads attacked thinking the finish was on the flyover. We got the rhythm going again and worked well till the attacks came again on the final few k's into the climb. We were all back together at the base and it was full gas all the way up. One of the dectec lads was mashing a ridiculous gear as he passed me.
    Was a great course and thanks to swordss cc and marshals.
    Having ridden in groups 3 and 4 there are definitely a few guys strong enough to move up into 4 next week.
    This really is by far the best training I've ever done. Is great to get the opportunity to cycle with guys who are much much better than me.

honkjelly wrote: »
    Moved into semi scratch and found the rhythm much better than group 3 last week. Sure it broke down now and again but it was the exception rather than the rule. We rode hard from the gun and stuck together till the first climb when 4ish of us went clear. Our numbers grew as we mopped up people on the run into Ballyboughal and we worked well for about half a lap and were just about to catch group 3 when scratch caught us.
    The pace ramped up but i kept on doing my turns and on the hill it was just a matter of not losing the wheel in front and we were really motoring when we caught group 2. The pace was ok down into Ballyboughal but ramped again as some of the lads attacked thinking the finish was on the flyover. We got the rhythm going again and worked well till the attacks came again on the final few k's into the climb. We were all back together at the base and it was full gas all the way up. One of the dectec lads was mashing a ridiculous gear as he passed me.
    Was a great course and thanks to swordss cc and marshals.
    Having ridden in groups 3 and 4 there are definitely a few guys strong enough to move up into 4 next week.
    This really is by far the best training I've ever done. Is great to get the opportunity to cycle with guys who are much much better than me.

I might give group 4 a go next week. Not saying I'm strong enough but I it's worth a lash. Great training alright. I'm getting a great session on Thursday nights with Finglas Raven's as well. Surprised they don't ride the Swords league. Really strong lads there. 2 (possibly 3) have done the RAS before. Hardy men for sure.

• Advertisement

Lord Beasty of Beastington, did the pics come out OK? Any worth posting? Basically, what I'm asking is... are there any of me?

Lord Beasty of Beastington, did the pics come out OK? Any worth posting? Basically, what I'm asking is... are there any of me?
    T'internet was down last night (it's a bit like me - sometimes struggles to get up Togher Hill) - should have one or two more up later on, but in the meantime, especially for you ...

swordsleaguerace110511010.jpg?t=1305306910

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

And here's one of Beasty at the start line.....

Giro11st05eh-54otbf.jpg

wouldn't be gone on that short white cycling outfit at all. way too much ventilation. thought Beasty had short hair. should be wearing a helmet also in fairness when going out on the bike.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

wouldn't be gone on that short white cycling outfit at all. way too much ventilation. thought Beasty had short hair. should be wearing a helmet also in fairness when going out on the bike.:D
    nice shoes :rolleyes:

A few more pictures here

Quality is not brilliant, but the light was fading ...

nice shoes :rolleyes:

It's normally my jerseys that I get complimented on;)

Beasty wrote: »
    It's normally my jerseys that I get complimented on;)

Oh no you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭dooverylittle

Its hard to believe, but I actually felt worse then I look.

12/12 is me. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Its hard to believe, but I actually felt worse then I look.

12/12 is me. :eek:

Look a bit like Eddie Merckx.

• Advertisement

who's the guy in pic 7? on the garristown circuit on the first night he bombed past us mashing a low gear on the big chainring. don't think i'll ever forget that. some craic hopping on for the ride.

who's the guy in pic 7? on the garristown circuit on the first night he bombed past us mashing a low gear on the big chainring. don't think i'll ever forget that. some craic hopping on for the ride.

Colm Laverty. Very strong rider.

Colm Laverty. Very strong rider.

... and a boardsie (we get everywhere;))

Advertisement