Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Pet Insurance Is No More!

• 11-05-2011 8:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

I was just checking my bank account this morning and discovered the premium for our dog's insurance apparently didn't go out.

So I called Argos this morning. It's all fine, went out yesterday (late!), but have discovered that Argos will no longer provide pet insurance in Ireland! On speaking to the operator, the underwriters have pulled out but will continue to honour existing policies. Obviously they will not be taking on new business either.

It's a real shame as the insurance offered excellent value for money. I'm also unhappy I didn't know this until I had to call them. It would seem a letter will be sent nearer renewal time.

Looks as though I'll be on the hunt shortly for decent cover that doesn't cost an arm and several legs! Any ideas people?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

I was looking for insurance yesterday and there seem to be very limited options with only 4 companies providing it: Pet Insure, Pet Insurance, Allianz and 123.

Not exactly a competitive market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Goreygal wrote: »
    I was looking for insurance yesterday and there seem to be very limited options with only 4 companies providing it: Pet Insure, Pet Insurance, Allianz and 123.

Not exactly a competitive market.
    It's better than it was .. back when I insured our two cats (2002) it was Allianz only.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

So a big improvement then in that context!

I've just decided to go with 123 for my 2 cats... the cheaper by €60 and also the lowest excess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 willjc

Looks liek you coudl go with Tesco now too! http://www.tesco.ie/finance/pet-insurance/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

One thing to beware of is companies that increase your policy price after you make a claim (like what happens with car insurance). I know this happens in the UK a lot with various companies, but as far as I am aware, Petinsure and Allianz don't do this (although they did raise overall prices/excesses last year). I have little experience with the other companies mentioned, so couldn't advise on them.
    Definitely worth shopping around, just make sure you read all the fine print.

• Advertisement
Advertisement