Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SoulCalibur V discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

That Doom creation is pretty slick, has to be said. Only thing I'd change is the voice - needs more distortion (and we can do that now).

By the way guys, looks like Game got the Dampierre codes in - picked mine up this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Oh good, maybe the buggers will stop trying to give me the runaround after sending me a previously redeemed code, then a completely invalid one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Does anyone have a link to unlock all the secret characters? I unlocked Kilik through clearing the Asia route but that's all. No Dampierre unlock code from HMV either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

You may have actually just reached Rank 9 during that arcade run.
    GameFAQs wrote: »
    Algol - Defeat him in either Legendary Souls / Quick Battle (As Teramos) / Arcade Mode. Or, reach Player Level 31.

Alpha Patroklos - Complete Episode 12 in Story Mode or reach Player Level 15.

Edge Master - Complete Episode 16 in Story Mode or reach Player Level 19.

Elysium - Beat Story Mode or reach Player Level 27.

Kilik - Beat Him In Either Legendary Souls or Arcade Mode, or reach Player Level 9.

Pyrrha Omega - Complete Episode 19 in Story Mode or reach Player Level 23.

Soul Of Devil Jin Fighting Style - Reach Player Level 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

We're playing this at the house.

I'm delighted they changed Ivy back to something closer to her previous self, but she is SO ****ING UNDER-POWERED!!

We're playing this at the house.

I'm delighted they changed Ivy back to something closer to her previous self, but she is SO ****ING UNDER-POWERED!!
    Good. She needed a good nerf or two. No one with tits that big should be able to even move, much less fight.

Looks like Viola's taking the zoning crown.

Yeah but they've over done it.
    while it looks like they've done a lot of good, and taken the series from being 'a laughing stock', back to being ' not bad, but unbalanced'

for Ivy, they've shaved damage off everywhere and her brave edges (or whatever they're called) are ****ing useless.
    Ivy dosn't work unless her attacks hurt. with the damage they do now, they need to at least be a little safer or faster. or at least give her brave edges which do more then an indistinguishable small amount of damage more then the regular attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

I was on the fence about this after being burned several times last year by some less than stellar fighting games IMO. Hence why I waited until I got a chance to try it at casuals last Friday. I ended up really liking it and hence I got the game.

What do I think of it so far? It's a nice change from Street Fighter for me for one thing. The fact it has actual decent netcode is also a plus. The story mode was nice, its no MK9 and has some questionable omissions but it does the job ( No point in taking the story too seriously after all. )

Graphically, its beautiful. Realistic looking but still looking nice and colourful, unlike a lot of other modern games. Also, Pyrrha is one of the cutest video game characters I've ever seen ( guess who I'm maining? :pac: )

Gameplay wise, its different from what I'm used to but simple enough so that I'm not hopelessly lost. I'm still wrapping my head around the mechanics but I can say they are good and work well. The previously mentioned decent netcode has also had another positive result - I haven't raged at this game from playing it online yet!

So there we go, I look forward to learning more and don't intend on dropping this when SFxT comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

I think it's the best fighter I've ever played!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Also, Pyrrha is one of the cutest video game characters I've ever seen

Yeah, but then she speaks, and does a couple moves and it's like FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

Omega all the way dawg. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Any of you SCV players on Xbox feel free to add me 'the k0ng'.

I'll be online a lot from tomorrow evening.
    I also added SoulCalibur as an option to the Irish Player list in the sticky.
    Add yourselves to the list: The List

Da Bounca wrote: »
    Any of you SCV players on Xbox feel free to add me 'the k0ng'.

I'll be online a lot from tomorrow evening.
    I also added SoulCalibur as an option to the Irish Player list in the sticky.
    Add yourselves to the list: The List
    GT is Mikenyan, just added SCV to my field on the list. Feel free to add me.

I've been playing it all week now,
    They did enough to make me care again. SC III was a slight slip and SC IV was a total joke.
    But from the ashes of bull**** sequels came the roses of success. The game is fun, diverse, looks good and has a decent battle system.

I'm not happy that my gal has been nerfed to the tits, nor my guy (Kilik) has been skin swap by a little bastard who is so unlikeable that if I ever picked him, I'd sooner jump out of the ring myself AND that Kilik himself is still there but he's one of the three 'Mokujins'. But the point is I'm not happy because I've went from not caring at all to not being happy. Which is testament to how much better SCV is.

Going from Tekken6/TTT2 to SCV is a bit like going from watching a football match to watching a rugby match:

You see diving in football, ludicrous player behaviour and incorrect decisions and you think "this is ruining an other wise great game"
    Then you watch a rugby match, and you see something as simple as video refereeing, and you think why don't they have this in Soccer? there are a lot of lessons Tekken could now take from the game play of SC. a lot.
    starting from the practice mode and the combo system.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

Can you handle the justice.

I've invented a similar character...

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

I've invented a similar character...

Then we must do battle to decide who is the rightful Chief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

Since i'm such a Soul Calibur geek I may aswell share my youtube videos for you all to enjoy.

The rest are on my page so any criticism is welcome. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Good to see you posting again Witch, you should come along to the next Day of Champions which will (I think?) have a SC5 tournament!

TheWitch06 wrote: »
    any criticism is welcome. :)

you were lucky that guy was such an idiot. rising just when you needed to take the 214A (twice!!)

I like you're use of 1/2/3 B+K and well done on getting her difficult CS, I've spent a week at home away from the game, but this is a move I shall have to learn when I get back.
    Ivy's grabs are probably the second best the the game (after Asteroth) but once you start threatening with CS, together with SS the opponents wil start to forget that she's been ****ed over in this SC and start seeing entire chunks of health disappear every time she gets a hand on you. when people start fearing her grabs, you can wreak havok. if they come in but attack fast you can get in a 4B, if they duck, you have 1B BE, or 2A+B, and if they try side stepping, you have 6A or the faster (but high) 66A.

It is difficult using Ivy when she isn't scary, and this is the least scary she's ever been in an SC.

• Advertisement

you were lucky that guy was such an idiot. rising just when you needed to take the 214A (twice!!)

I like you're use of 1/2/3 B+K and well done on getting her difficult CS, I've spent a week at home away from the game, but this is a move I shall have to learn when I get back.
    Ivy's grabs are probably the second best the the game (after Asteroth) but once you start threatening with CS, together with SS the opponents wil start to forget that she's been ****ed over in this SC and start seeing entire chunks of health disappear every time she gets a hand on you. when people start fearing her grabs, you can wreak havok. if they come in but attack fast you can get in a 4B, if they duck, you have 1B BE, or 2A+B, and if they try side stepping, you have 6A or the faster (but high) 66A.

It is difficult using Ivy when she isn't scary, and this is the least scary she's ever been in an SC.

The input for that UB isn't 214A anymore, it's 6A+B. :D

I feel her CE is really useless once you can pull off her CS 99% of the time. The only benefit of the CE is the damage but you can get 93 damage off a clean hit with CS and over 100 with iCS. I'm not really liking the fact that SS is a BE grab either... It just feels so noobish now. I would have liked her to have another BE move instead. I find 4A to be her best way to kill step at close range, it's a high crush AND it combos on CH so it's just too good a move not to use it. 6A (hold) is amazing at a range but i like 44A (hold) alot too.

I notice that she is significantly weaker than in SCIV but she still has alot of good tools to win. Her BB has been buffed, 214B is still really annoying, 4K combos on CH, hits mid and crushes highs and she does BIG damage from Ivy Lick from one hit confirm. I'm sure in a few weeks time people will be singing her praises. :)

whoops!, mixed up my "giant unblockable A's" yes I meant 6A+B.

If your close enough range when the 1+K connects, a 214B fully hits, (for more damage them 9B) other wise, go 9B.

It's beginning to looks like 1B BE is shaping up to be her best use of meter, short range as it is.
    Isn't it **** how little damage 6B8 BE gives? surely that'll get patched!?

One thing I'm grouchy about having invested some time in it is how the second parts of 7/8/9A+B, B and 4A+B, B are both side-steppable.
    I loved using them (in the first few days) in situations where people are forced to block, and they take 5/6/7/8 hits to their weapon.
    Once I got near a guard break, I'd force a situation where the opponent either had to block a 44B,B,B leading to:

44B {guardbreak!}, B, B(launch) etc to combo.

or the massively damaging but less reliable (because the first hit does less 'guard impact' damage; they'll need to be red for 2/3 hits already)
    44(B+K) (leading to:

44(B+K){guard break!} U!(launch) (:D), to combo!

44(B+K){guard break!} U!, 6B8 BE does 125 damage. If the break occurs, the U! is guaranteed.

As far as I know, the reason her CE is so **** is because it's inescapable. (neither A nor B break. if the opponent's head is there; it's connecting)

someone posted this beauty on 8wayrun:
    Opponent's back near wall:

3B(W!), 3B(W!) CE (lololol! it ****ing works too!)

Do you have any decent combo for after a CH 2A+B?, they don't bounce high enough for a 6B8, but anything else can lead to Arial control ruining things. I should probably check if B+K, or 9A+B, B works...

(edit: double posts after some were loggy-inny-outy stuff. boards being dumb.)

whoops!, mixed up my "giant unblockable A's" yes I meant 6A+B.

If your close enough range when the 1+K connects, a 214B fully hits, (for more damage them 9B) other wise, go 9B.

It's beginning to looks like 1B BE is shaping up to be her best use of meter, short range as it is.
    Isn't it **** how little damage 6B8 BE gives? surely that'll get patched!?

One thing I'm grouchy about having invested some time in it is how the second parts of 7/8/9A+B, B and 4A+B, B are both side-steppable.
    I loved using them (in the first few days) in situations where people are forced to block, and they take 5/6/7/8 hits to their weapon.
    Once I got near a guard break, I'd force a situation where the opponent either had to block a 44B,B,B leading to:

44B {guardbreak!}, B, B(launch) etc to combo.

or the massively damaging but less reliable (because the first hit does less 'guard impact' damage; they'll need to be red for 2/3 hits already)
    44(B+K) (leading to:

44(B+K){guard break!} U!(launch) (:D), to combo!

44(B+K){guard break!} U!, 6B8 BE does 125 damage. If the break occurs, the U! is guaranteed.

As far as I know, the reason her CE is so **** is because it's inescapable. (neither A nor B break. if the opponent's head is there; it's connecting)

someone posted this beauty on 8wayrun:
    Opponent's back near wall:

3B(W!), 3B(W!) CE (lololol! it ****ing works too!)

Do you have any decent combo for after a CH 2A+B?, they don't bounce high enough for a 6B8, but anything else can lead to Arial control ruining things. I should probably check if B+K, or 9A+B, B works...

LOL, I am stupid... 214A is still the same as in SCIV but I meant it's not the UB I did in the video. :D

Yes, tbh 1B BE is the best BE she has. It's really scary after ukemi. I think the damage for 6B8 BE is pretty ****ty in some combos, like you don't get the 9B+K at the end which annoys me so it's better to just use 6B8 as you get the option to pressure them as they can't tech. I do love 6B8 BE beside the wall though, relaunching after W! with 7B+K looks so cool and nice damage too. I would love if 6B8 BE was good for RO but it never does... they always just land beside the edge. I guess it would be so cheap if it could RO so easily. :D

I find 8A+B, B and B(hold) pretty ****ty outside of combos, especially the latter. It's so unsafe. I have found people stepping it before and then thinking they can press something beside me and eat like the last hit of it right up in my face, it looks pretty funny. 4A+B, B seriously needs to be buffed. It should jail them so they can't step the second hit. I like doing 4A+B then buffering CS during it. :P

44B+K, B is actually amazing. I always forget to incorporate it into my game as it is so slow. It's a NC before the UB flash and the damage is sick. I seriously need to find a situation where I can lock someone down with that so they can't step it.

I actually seen that CE wall combo posted on 8wayrun but I never actually tried it before. That sounds pretty amazing tbh. I need to try it in training mode. :D

After CH 2A+B, 6B8 works fine. You just aren't doing it fast enough. I'll have to find me doing it in one of my videos as an example. 8A+B, B works fine too but not as much damage. :D

Something funny happened with fully charged 3K when I was playing, I was charging it while my opponent was teching and it tracked them... I'll have to try that out.

I don't think I ever actually tried 6B8 after 2A+B. if it hits then grand.

Should be a few of us playing casuals in XGC next Saturday(25th) if anyone is interested, thinking from around 1pm. I'll post up a reminder during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

We met an Italian guy living in Dublin called Ugo while we were in Cannes, who was at the World Game Cup to play SCV.

I understand he did quite well in the tournament overall.

I gave him my number and told him to come onto boards and post here. Hopefully he'll be the next post after this one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭SirAuronDX

man i really wish they didnt make the parry cost meter. its allowing the stupidest most safest stuff to walk off free. im looking at you natsu. Im beginning to like the game less and less because its thinning out into a "oh boy its this again" to me... such a shame too since i was hype for this and all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭SirAuronDX

i cant pull myself away from this amazing character crteation and awesome multiplayer

• Advertisement

Ugo is a classy player. He used to come to the SCIV casuals a while back. Would be great to have him back on the scene.

Advertisement