Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SoulCalibur V discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

We met an Italian guy living in Dublin called Ugo while we were in Cannes, who was at the World Game Cup to play SCV.

I understand he did quite well in the tournament overall.

I gave him my number and told him to come onto boards and post here. Hopefully he'll be the next post after this one :)
    Used to work with Ugo; but he hasn't posted on boards in ages.

DaBounca, do you have him on Facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

@ SirAuron

I think the justification for the parry costing meter is in the JI?
    in other words if you're really good you'll Just-Impact, and not parry.

I've tried it out and it seems the parry has a much better window in SCV, so essentially you're getting better connection window for your meter, where as JI is risky as hell.

I'm still happy/sad that the game is so brilliant AND they've ****ed over my two characters. But I've reached a stage where I don't care if I lose with Ivy like 15 to 2. It's worth it when you get the feeling that when you do win, it's becasue you've completely out played your opponent: caught all of the side stepping, used the perfect move at perfect range, guessed their intentions and acted, grabbed, SS'ed when you should mid launched when you should etc.

I could compare it in tekken to beating law, brian or Bob with a player like Asuka.

Asuka and Ivy share a lot of traits actually: they both 'seem' to be strong but have only a handful of technically useful moves
    Locking down an opponent is tricky(this is the biggest change for dominatrix Ivy, in previous SC's you played by her rules, now people can run it and punish, out gun, out draw and out match her in every field).

They're comboing is identical: easy, safe, limited juggling system with OK damage, excellent wall damage and one or two moves which are slow 'launching' traps which punish stupidity with good damage.

they both have all the tools to win if you can guess perfectly what the opponent will do, but you will never win without understanding how the opponent will attack.

they've both been higher tier in other games, have poor low options but not 'no' low options.

and they both have special throws with horrendous over blown inputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    DaBounca, do you have him on Facebook?

Nope, but I did have him on msn. Haven't logged into msn in a long time, but I'll see if I can find him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

Da Bounca wrote: »
    Nope, but I did have him on msn. Haven't logged into msn in a long time, but I'll see if I can find him.

He's on my friend list on Xbox as UgoIvy. :D

TheWitch06 wrote: »

Let him know about Saturday then :D

I sent him an email anyways

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Does any of you know this random dude (I think he was maybe Italian) who plays SC5? He won his pool in Cannes and lives in Dublin!

Also

I thought you were dead at this point :D

Does any of you know this random dude (I think he was maybe Italian) who plays SC5? He won his pool in Cannes and lives in Dublin!`
    We're probably all talking about Ugo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭SirAuronDX

and they both have special throws with horrendous over blown inputs.

whats annoying me in this games wide roster is that only at least 3 or 4 characters are actually used. im serious and nothing infuriates me further than seeing no diversity in a game. i gurantee it will be a mirror in evo finals like i have not fought anything that isnt mitsu,natsu,xiba or maxi. never seen anyone use dampierre and i ran into the first girl with the spear today. seen nothing else but the same high damaging stuff that is...safe =/ i'll probably play again if the game updates but this ones for the "things i wont bother trying at" shelf....right along there with alot of other things....blazblue and guilty gear are awfully lonely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 UgoIvy

Hey, here I am.
    Sorry for my late reply. As I said to Da Bounca, count on me for Saturday.

After a long absence I'm happy to be back here :)

UgoIvy wrote: »
    Hey, here I am.

Is Mika still at KW? See if you can bring him too.
    Also I lost phone numbers of everyone from KW (if they ask).

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    UgoIvy wrote: »
    Hey, here I am.

Is Mika still at KW? See if you can bring him too.
    Also I lost phone numbers of everyone from KW (if they ask).
    I've asked already and he can't tomorrow :( maybe Jerome and Mike will join.

Thanks for the games yesterday! was great to meet you again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭wataru

Anyone up for casuals in Galway or Dublin, hit me up.

started using Asteroth and Leixia.

Leixia is great fun, and Asteroth? well what can I say? Asteroth is as frightening as Ivy should've been. having tried a few of his combos, it boggles my mind how much Ivy is lacking in power. I can close a round out with between one and two opening.

actually saying that, Ivy's 1B BE is borderline broken it's so good on wake up.

If your opponent is getting up in front of you they cannot avoid having to block or get hit. if they block you still have advantage you can either throw out another one immediately to catch ducking or counters, or you can use a grab if they attempt to anything to avoid a second 1B BE.

so yeah im still playing this on and off. i heard rumors of a balance patch or something after march *shrug* but either way i play for a good bit of fun but i can't stand getting wrecked by the likes of xiba etc. kinda hard. i end up playing the following anyway

Dampierre(for the lulz)
    Ezio
    Nightmare
    Algol

Need to learn alot more stuff rather than just spamming various things and hoping they hit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Damn it, Pyrrha gonna get nerfed, isn't she? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Damn it, Pyrrha gonna get nerfed, isn't she? :mad:

Yessssssssssssssss.

C'mon the Lizard for not-a-complete-laughing-stock-tier.

Honestly though they probably won't change much, hopefully they fix most of the bugs and bull**** hitbox whiffing at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

https://sdtekken.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/soulcalibur_v_battle_system_update_march_2012.pdf

Full list of changes incoming with the patch.

From what I've read;
    Viola has gotten buffed ( slightly worrying as they could lead her to becoming OP imo )
    Raphael buffed
    Ivy has gotten buffed
    Nightmare & Maxi nerfed
    Tira nerfed ( wtf )
    Pyrrha and Pyrrha Omega slightly nerfed ( I was honestly expecting worse than what we got - all they did was mainly make her stab less brain dead )
    Natsu nerfed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Fixed a bug where players were able to evade low attacks and block mid attacks by inputting "up" direction when holding guard button. Although this makes it difficult for players to evade low attacks by just jumping, there is no change when evading with jump attacks.

Game ruined. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Some fixes that needed doing but no mention of the lulz hitboxes at all.

the patch changed naff all in my opinion. pyrrhas and nightmares still running around being over the top.
    Namco confirmed for **** at balancing

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

SirAuronDX wrote: »
    the patch changed naff all in my opinion. pyrrhas and nightmares still running around being over the top.
    Namco confirmed for **** at balancing

Call me biased, but I'm enjoying the patch, mainly because of Raphael's buffs. I had a much more even session with the Witch last night compared to the last one (which can only be described as molestation), and that was in spite of Ivy's buffs.

As for the rest of them... Yeah, Namco are pretty **** at this whole competitive balance thing.

nonsense.

It was an excellent patch. they fixed problems like the fuzzy guard and the side step guard cancel. which made the game a laughing stock.

If you're losing more then your fair share to a particular player then it's probably a bad match up or else you don't know enough about their game. You can't have a patch that makes every match up with your favourite player precisely 50/50 with the rest of the cast.

my own personal wonderwall of wanting to throw my control through the TV is trying to win anything against Mitsurugi or Cervantes as Ivy. thankfully my Asteroth makes mince of them both.

Headin in for SCV casuals now. Running late :S

Da Bounca wrote: »
    Headin in for SCV casuals now. Running late :S

Same here. I'll be in after 2pm I'd say.

Same here. I'll be in after 2pm I'd say.

Ok... I arrived and nobody was here... I'll stick around for a while in case anyone decides to show up.

I got there about 2, stayed for a while and then left :S ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

Witch is there right now. I'm heading back down with my own stuff now. Be there soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭popzmaster

Where do these casuals take place like I'd love to come down and strut the stuff ya know?? Also im pretty indifferent towards the patch asty and mitsu not nerfed too badly at all. the reduced damage second hit of double discus could see me left wanting where I used to get K.O but thats all. Also any Irish players add me on xbox griff EIRE is my GT peace

Advertisement