Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carbon monoxide detectors

• 11-05-2011 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

I am looking to put up some carbon monoxide detectors.
    I have a boiler in a upstairsbox bed room in a press. its about 4.5 ft by 2 ft.
    Were inside the press should i put the detector?

Also i have a gas cooker.
    Should i put a detector over the gas cooker?

I have a fire place and chimney in the kitchen and front room both have been boarded up at the bottom for over 12 years and have never been used in this time.
    Do i need a detector near the unused fire place/chimneys?

Looking for a battery operated Detector any Recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

One carbon monoxidee detector should do you and you should locate it where you will hear it. i.e. in the upstairs hallway near the bedrooms.

You are advised NOT to locate it near the appliance.

Recommended Model: I have KIDDE Carbon Monoxide detector. I just bought it in an electrical factors but the likes of B&Q will stock them as well.

They cost about €50 or so..

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

The regulations for smoke detectors in houses is as follows:

9.2.2 Individual dwellings (private dwelling houses, apartments (flats), maisonettes)
    9.2.2.1 Minimum grade “D”
    Mains powered/battery backed smoke alarm and/or heat alarms all with integral sounders interconnected so that detection of fire by any one unit provides an audible alarm from each.
    NOTE Battery only or mains only smoke alarms are not acceptable for new dwellings.
    9.2.2.2 Minimum category “LD2”
    Smoke/heat alarms “suitable located and interconnected” installed in:
    a) all circulation areas that form part of an escape route within the dwelling, and
    b) all “high fire risk” areas/rooms e.g. kitchens/living rooms.
    NOTE An LD2 system is acceptable for dwellings up to three storeys. For higher buildings or “where the fire risk so
    warrants” and LD1 system is required (see TGDB (2006) 1.5.5.2 and Annex “J” of this Standard).

I would suggest that you but the co detectors that you can interlink so as sound would not be a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Place your co detectors near the breathing area. No point putting it your press unless you plan to live in it.

Have a search on here they were dicussed not too long ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Bought a Kidde twin pack in argos a few months back for €36.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Put the detetor somewhere that there is regular air change and where you will hear it when you are asleep. Dont put it up near the appliances or it will be always going off.

If your painting a room remove it, cause the sensor can get damaged pretty easily - learned that the hard way myself :o.

• Advertisement

feelyd wrote: »
    You could try the following smoke and carbon detector , they're the kidde brand ( which seems to be very popular , plus they are battery operated.

Don't bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Don't bother

Hi Lex,

Care to tell us why?

As you know I always respect your input / opinion I am looking for a reasonably priced good quality detector to recommend to customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Smartypantsy

I recently moved into an apartment in Dublin and the apartment is on the first floor. We have both a smoke detector and what we believe to be a carbon monoxide detector (If anyone else has a suggestion to what it is plz let me know :( ) Recently the alarm has been going off at random times and the alarm is very annoying! Is there anything we can do????

I recently moved into an apartment in Dublin and the apartment is on the first floor. We have both a smoke detector and what we believe to be a carbon monoxide detector (If anyone else has a suggestion to what it is plz let me know :( ) Recently the alarm has been going off at random times and the alarm is very annoying! Is there anything we can do????

Could be a couple of things, what can happen is there's a detector from the landlords system (just inside the front door) and a mains operated stand alone unit, (normally a heat detector) if you put up a few pictures I should be able to tell you.

Regards

Irish Fire

Irish Fire wrote: »
    Could be a couple of things, what can happen is there's a detector from the landlords system (just inside the front door) and a mains operated stand alone unit, (normally a heat detector) if you put up a few pictures I should be able to tell you.

Regards

Irish Fire

Hi the photos are attached :) The first photo is the fire detector (we think!) and the second is what we think is the carbon monoxide detector. Thanks fro the help!

• Advertisement

PeteHeat wrote: »
    Hi Lex,

Care to tell us why?

As you know I always respect your input / opinion I am looking for a reasonably priced good quality detector to recommend to customers.

Pete, just seeing this now. My opinion is that i think these units should be separate and placed in the area thats suited to each

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

It is always recommended that carbon monoxide detectors are installed with reference to the manufacturers instructions, this is the recommendation from Gassafe UK.
    Carbon monoxide kills if left undetected

For the safety of you and your family, it is advisable to fit acarbon monoxide (CO) alarm in your home. Just like a smoke alarm which alerts you to the presence of smoke, a carbon monoxide detector will alert you to the presence of CO.
    The difference with CO is that it is invisible and has no smell or taste, so you might not realise it is there.
    Smoke alarms do not detect carbon monoxide.
    What alarm should I fit?

Gas Safe Register recommends the use of audible carbon monoxide alarms marked with British Standard EN 50291. It should also have a British or European approval mark, such as a Kitemark. CO alarms usually have a battery life of up to 5 years.
    Fit an alarm in each room with a gas appliance. Always follow the alarm manufacturer’s instructions on siting, testing and replacing the alarm.
    Do not use the ‘black spot’ detectors that change colour when carbon monoxide is present, they don’t make a sound. It is important to choose an alarm that will wake you up if you’re asleep, or you may not be aware of early CO symptoms until it is too late

All carbon based fuels produce carbon monoxide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

I thought they where to be fitted in living quarters it said on box? i.e. living room / hall / bedroom?

theres 1 in my kitchen and living room just as per building regs last year I guess as this house is only a year old

Hi the photos are attached :) The first photo is the fire detector (we think!) and the second is what we think is the carbon monoxide detector. Thanks fro the help!

You are right the first is a smoke detector (mains operated) the second looks like a 24v detector that would be connected to the landlords panel I would doubt it's a carbon monoxide detector. Would I be right in saying the second is just inside your front door?

This is part of what the Irish Regs say on Carbon Monoxide Detectors:

5.9.5 Carbon Monoxide fire detectors
    Carbon Monoxide fire detectors are particularly suitable for supplementing smoke detectors where there is a risk of
    a smouldering deep-seated fire, fire in an enclosed space or a risk of stratification taking place. They may be
    considered as primary detectors where the main risk has been identified as a smouldering fire and heat/smoke
    detectors have been deemed unsuitable.
    Carbon Monoxide fire detectors shall not be used as the sole means of detection on escape routes or where the
    requirement is to detect electrical fires, fast burning fires, fires involving flammable liquids or in areas subject to
    sources of carbon monoxide, alcohol vapour or hydrogen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

This is part of what the Irish Regs say on Carbon Monoxide Detectors:

5.9.5 Carbon Monoxide fire detectors
    Carbon Monoxide fire detectors are particularly suitable for supplementing smoke detectors where there is a risk of
    a smouldering deep-seated fire, fire in an enclosed space or a risk of stratification taking place. They may be
    considered as primary detectors where the main risk has been identified as a smouldering fire and heat/smoke
    detectors have been deemed unsuitable.
    Carbon Monoxide fire detectors shall not be used as the sole means of detection on escape routes or where the
    requirement is to detect electrical fires, fast burning fires, fires involving flammable liquids or in areas subject to
    sources of carbon monoxide, alcohol vapour or hydrogen.

what does that mean

You are right the first is a smoke detector (mains operated) the second looks like a 24v detector that would be connected to the landlords panel I would doubt it's a carbon monoxide detector. Would I be right in saying the second is just inside your front door?

Yes the second is just inside the front door. If its not a carbon monoxide detector then what is it? it keeps going off randomly during the day and night!

My last post here seems to be gone??

Yes the second is just inside the front door. If its not a carbon monoxide detector then what is it? it keeps going off randomly during the day and night!

It may have a built in sounder and when the landlords system activates the sounder will ring until it's silenced.

M cebee wrote: »
    what does that mean

This part of the standards means that if you fit Carbon Monoxide detectors that you must fit a smoke or heat with it and not just to rely on the Carbon Monoxide detectors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

It may have a built in sounder and when the landlords system activates the sounder will ring until it's silenced.

Thats the arrangement alright - fairly common in most modern largescale apartment blocks.

Thats the arrangement alright - fairly common in most modern largescale apartment blocks.

More than fairly common it's regulation.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

Should the Carbon Monoxide Detector be placed on the floor or the ceiling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

Wall or ceiling I think. Check the manual that comes with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

The one i bought was to be mounted on a wall about 10" down from the ceiling,
    and about 1 to 2 meters away from the appliance.
    It's seems to be a good one with a digital read out of the current level and if you press a button it tells you the highest level it has detected.
    It cost €48.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Advertisement