Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City: The Place to Live!

Options
  • 11-05-2011 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭

Just seen this new promo video via 1 of my friends fbs

Usual cheesy business video. Couple of good points and a few lies too (comeraghs in 15 minutes? :/ Challenge Accepted :cool:)
    Always good to see an effort though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Standard cheesy stuff, but that was pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

What happened to the website?
    http://www.waterfordbusinessinfo.ie/

Is it down? Can you open it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I thought that was very good. Although if the father in it was so "clever" he wouldn't have sent his son to Mount Sion :D only joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

That was very good , but it must have been a Wexford native who edited and compiled the clip as they threw in their own promo material in there (@ 4:52 there is an aerial of Wexford Bridge and @ 5:19 there is an aerial of Curracloe Afaik !)

I wonder where this will be used for promo material ?

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

snap

spotted the last bit of video clip of the Bridge isnt Waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

beazee wrote: »
    What happened to the website?
    http://www.waterfordbusinessinfo.ie/

Is it down? Can you open it?
    Still there - just checked it.

Going though a list of about 1800 Waterford websites at the moment and that's one of them.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Even has a Kilmac man in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Jambo wrote: »
    That was very good , but it must have been a Wexford native who edited and compiled the clip as they threw in their own promo material in there (@ 4:52 there is an aerial of Wexford Bridge and @ 5:19 there is an aerial of Curracloe Afaik !)

I wonder where this will be used for promo material ?
    The video was produced by Nemeton who are based in Dungarvan. I'm guessing that the aerial footage was provided to them by Failte Ireland South East, which is how it may have got in there. Still though, should've been noticed by someone on the production team and the City Council before they put the video online.

As for where it will be used for promo, it could be used as part of a presentation to potential investors during trade missions etc, that type of thing.

Who plays the Mother in it? she looks very familar :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I have to say I thought that was quite good. The daughter in it looks familiar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AndyKiely

It is good for Waterford to get some exposure this way.

Always thought something like this would include John O'Shea for some reason.

I also chuckled when the son said the mother gets around at 40 secs in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

"people can get around easy, just like my mum!" hahahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mount misery

I actually think that's an excellent promotional piece. The city looks well. And to Dan, the young lad comes across brilliantly-a great ambassador for the school and the city. Well done to all involved. Beats sitting on our hands whinging. Never takes long for our innate begrudgery to surface though.

Is it Geoffs the daughter is drinking in with her friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I actually think that's an excellent promotional piece. The city looks well. And to Dan, the young lad comes across brilliantly-a great ambassador for the school and the city. Well done to all involved. Beats sitting on our hands whinging. Never takes long for our innate begrudgery to surface though.

I was only joking with the Mount Sion comment, I went there. The young lad comes across as highly intelligent and articulate, he will go far no doubt.

Stig, yeah that's Geoffs, window table facing apple market.

Dan133269 wrote: »
    I was only joking with the Mount Sion comment, I went there. The young lad comes across as highly intelligent and articulate, he will go far no doubt.

Stig, yeah that's Geoffs, window table facing apple market.

Was thinking it looked like it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Dan133269 wrote: »
    I thought that was very good. Although if the father in it was so "clever" he wouldn't have sent his son to Mount Sion :D only joking.

Mount Sion is in it only because its the most well-known Waterford school to people outside of Waterford.

But a decent enough video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mount misery

subz3r0 wrote: »
    Mount Sion is in it only because its the most well-known Waterford school to people outside of Waterford.

But a decent enough video.

Mount Sion is not even mentioned by name in the piece at all so there goes that conspiracy theory. This little lad is a credit to the school and the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I woulda thought they'd use De La Salle for the school, what with it having the largest number of students. Figured Geraird O Brien would have jumped at the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

I woulda thought they'd use De La Salle for the school, what with it having the largest number of students. Figured Geraird O Brien would have jumped at the opportunity.
    Guess the old school ties are showing for some people on the thread. :) It was a good video promo if a bit cheesy in places.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Very good alright. Any idea who did it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Sully wrote: »
    Very good alright. Any idea who did it?

Michael Bay I think.

Apart from the bit with Wexford it's a grand little vid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Pac413

comeraghs in 15 minutes? :/ Challenge Accepted :cool:
    Haha, according to Google Maps, you'd have to be constantly traveling at 140 km/h to make it in 15 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭DUBDUBDUB

on where to live in Waterford. I am trying to convince the missus to move to sunny south east. I have a new career opportunity and we need more room as we have a third child on the way

I love Waterford, friendly people, not too big, not too small (Waterford, not the people) and it seems a better way of life for the kids.

I am not from Ireland (despite my login ) and the Missus is a Dub. She is a sound Dub now. Not a howya or a D4 head, if she was, she wouldnt be the missus. Are Dubs welcome?? Will she get rocks thrown at her or dog**** through the letterbox?

My kids aint baptised as Catholics so looking at educate togther school. Wife only learning to drive so looking in or around city centre. Couldnt really handle a village as we are both city folks but you never know? If we were accepted somwhere we would give it a try.

Going to rent down there first till we find a place. Well, thats the plan anyway

Would it be easier if you could tell me where not to live?? Or will that start an argument??

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

DUBDUBDUB wrote: »
    on where to live in Waterford. I am trying to convince the missus to move to sunny south east. I have a new career opportunity and we need more room as we have a third child on the way

I love Waterford, friendly people, not too big, not too small (Waterford, not the people) and it seems a better way of life for the kids.

I am not from Ireland (despite my login ) and the Missus is a Dub. She is a sound Dub now. Not a howya or a D4 head, if she was, she wouldnt be the missus. Are Dubs welcome?? Will she get rocks thrown at her or dog**** through the letterbox?

My kids aint baptised as Catholics so looking at educate togther school. Wife only learning to drive so looking in or around city centre. Couldnt really handle a village as we are both city folks but you never know? If we were accepted somwhere we would give it a try.

Going to rent down there first till we find a place. Well, thats the plan anyway

Would it be easier if you could tell me where not to live?? Or will that start an argument??

Thanks!

Everyone is welcome here :)(except those damn Kilkenny people, comin' over the bridge takin' our jobs and our women!!!)

There is an educate together place by 'the jute factory'. So the nearest housing estates are around Hillview, and there are also older houses nearby.

Dunmore Rd is generally seen as the 'posh part' of town.

Basically you can get a 3-bed semi in Waterford for the price of a 1-bed apartment in Dublin, so you have plenty of choice. Also luckily Waterford City largely escaped the problem of ghost estates.

I like Waterford, you have easy access to the sea, mountains etc, and I generally find it more relaxed than Dublin (same as any small city versus big city).

Just be sure to refer to Waterford as a City rather than a town :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Tell your missus its 90minutes to dublin on the Motorway now so it wont be far from her family and friends. I lived in Dublin myself for 6 years and love being in Waterford now, not nearly as much hassle with traffic etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Loads of houses in hillview for rent. Probably loads all around I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

Dunmore rd isn't really that posh anymore (I live nearby :P) but its close to all amenities, parks, schools, I thought there was an educate together school along newtown road (the model school?), which is also next to Newtown school (quaker/multi dominational) close to hospital, shopping centre's, eateries, parks and recreational areas, very picturesque think treelined avenueis and largly family oriented. Most of the housing estates were bought up by younger couples raising families during the boom years and what's not caters to professionals renting, not students for the most part. There is decent enough road access with the new bypass but it can get a bit jammed on the early morning run but nothing in comparison to Dublin. Hillview is a nice spot too ( I grew up hanging around that way) but I would have thought that most of the family's will have matured by this stage so if it's younger kids the newer side of town would be a good spot to raise family and work from. and ok, I might be biased but it is worth the look.
    Most people will still mind their own business but having family out that way I can say that most people are still neighbourly and look out for each other so I can't see why you and your family wouldn't be welcome. Waterford is a great place though and I highly recommend the move :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I agree with Kanoe. When I was growing up in Hillview, there were masses of kids. Not so much anymore. Most of us are at the age where we've moved on from the and I'd guess the average person living in Hillview is around the late forties/early fifties mark.

I now live on the Dunmore road and, funnily enough, two of my neighbours three and four doors up are originally from Hillview too so this is definitely where the younger population of the city are thaws days.

It's really nice out here. I wasn't too sure before I moved but I really like it now. The major downside to this side town has always been school traffic. I think that has eased somewhat in recent times but, either way, it wouldn't even begin to compare to Dublin.

Dubs are fine down here. A friend of mine has lived here for about 7 years. His mother, father and sister all moved here independently too and are here for the long haul. He says the same as you about a better way of life. He moved to Tramore which is only out the road and is right on the sea. He took up kayaking, wind surfing and surfing.

Waterford is a nice place to live. We have pretty much all we need due to the city's size but it's not so big as to have other problems associated with big cities. Like Max Powers said, it's only 90 minutes from Dublin so it'll be easy for her to pop home when she feels like it.

Hope it works out for you and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭DUBDUBDUB

Just got to sell it to herself now! She is worried that she wont know anyone down there but as you say its only down the road really.

I need to pick a good time to take her down there. Off for a few weeks now so will head down some weekend. Its kind of festival season so hopefully that added with a bit of good weather will sell it!

Her cousin has a restaurant down there so we would hopefully have someone else to help sell the idea. He moved down about 7 years ago and has never looked back.

If i can find the right house in the right area it will all work out. It would leave us with a much reduced mortgage also and a bigger house for the new Baba!!

I am looking upon it as an adventure but she seems to think otherwise. That if we sell up in Dublin now we would be mad as when things do turn around our house should rise rapidly. Keep telling her that may not happen for decades if ever.

Oh well. Will let you know how it goes

Advertisement