Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Doctor in Balbriggan?

Options
  • 11-05-2011 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

Still fairly new to the area (2 months) and our last doctor was based out in Harolds Cross so that's not too convenient. Can anyone recommend a good Doc in the area?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you do a search on the Bracken Clinic I think you will find some excellent reports and recommendations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I started going to the Bracken Clinic late last year and have to go quite frequently due to a longterm illness. I cannot fault them at all. I see Conor McGrane but have seen John a few times too. They are lovely, friendly and professional. Even the secretary is friendly and chatty.

It's right on the Main Street, beside Adrian Dunnes Pharmacy (up at the Bank of Ireland end at the top of the town).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JeeLuna

I have to say Dr Conor McGrane of the Bracken Clinic is very good. Fantastic with children too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I don't know Dr McGrane myself but I've only heard good things about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

+1 on all of the above. Dr. Mc Grane looks after myself and the family. Top chap!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just in the interests of openness I would point out that Dr McGrane is a boardsie. I won't embarrass him by identifying him on here, and he is not my GP (although I do know him personally)

I would say, however, that everyone I have met who has used his services has had nothing but praise.

Now in the interests of fairness, there are also other excellent doctors in Balbriggan - again a search of the forum will quickly come up with some other names who can be recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Thanks folks for all the recommendations. It looks like it'll be The Bracken Clinic so.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

See if they do a boards discount. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

just dont mention liverpool or you may never shut him up

A few other names from the Balbriggan area that have been mentioned to me by the good doctor himself, all of who come highly recommended:

Balbriggan Medical Centre:
    Dr Conor O'Reilly, Aine Rowley, Jim Doody and Martina Keary

Ursula O'Brien Counihan who has a practice just outside Balscadden.

Bracken Clinic:
    John Ferguson and Jennifer Meer

Patrick O'Mathuna at Castlemill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

On the above recommendations I made an appointment for the Bracken Clinic as a new patient. Dr John Ferguson looked after me and I was very impressed with the staff and doctor considering they where broken into last night.

The place was ransacked but they still made sure to see to me. They broke in through a front window. Wonder if anybody saw anything and can report to the Gardai.

No way, that's sh!t.

Hope they get it sorted.

I've been in touch with Doctor McGrane about this incident. I understand that, in terms of value, quite a lot more damage was done than items taken.

He's asked me to pass on the thanks of him and his colleagues for all the messages of support and help especially from the local tradesmen and guards as well as patients and other members of the community

Hopefully everything will be back to normal asap

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Beasty wrote: »
    A few other names from the Balbriggan area that have been mentioned to me by the good doctor himself, all of who come highly recommended:

Patrick O'Mathuna at Castlemill

I've never dealth with the other doctors mentioned, but I dealth with Dr. Patrick about eightteen months ago and to be honest found the level of care to be terrible. I don't want to go into specifics for personnel reasons, but looking back I'm shocked at the lack of level of service.
    My life assurance company have all been on to him, requesting information for the last six or so weeks and haven't heard a thing back, so all told I wouldn't recommend him.

Gillo wrote: »
    I've never dealth with the other doctors mentioned, but I dealth with Dr. Patrick about eightteen months ago and to be honest found the level of care to be terrible. I don't want to go into specifics for personnel reasons, but looking back I'm shocked at the lack of level of service.
    My life assurance company have all been on to him, requesting information for the last six or so weeks and haven't heard a thing back, so all told I wouldn't recommend him.

I have to say, his manner didn't suit me at all either but I have heard others who like him. I went once to him, and once to another in the same surgery before deciding they weren't for me. Started going to the Bracken Clinic then and have been very pleased ever since. It's horrible not to feel comfortable with a doctor when they're supposed to help you. I'm at the docs quite a lot so I need to trust my doc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Charlies Angel

I've attended the Bracken clinic and have seen 2 doctors there.. (John and Jennifer) and am really happy to be a patient there..

I do have a fault with appointment times though. I always have an appointment and am ALWAYS waiting for an hour after the appointment time to be seen. Fair enough, there are emergencies etc just it's no fun with a baby in tow!

Other than that, fantastic level of care, lovely to deal with etc.

Does anyone know if the doctors in the Bracken Clinic accept medical cards? Thanks!

Does anyone know if the doctors in the Bracken Clinic accept medical cards? Thanks!

They do, yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I've attended the Bracken clinic and have seen 2 doctors there.. (John and Jennifer) and am really happy to be a patient there..

I do have a fault with appointment times though. I always have an appointment and am ALWAYS waiting for an hour after the appointment time to be seen. Fair enough, there are emergencies etc just it's no fun with a baby in tow!

Other than that, fantastic level of care, lovely to deal with etc.

I have to say, I do really love to deal with Jennifer, she is so lovely and you really feel you have been listened to with her.
    I agree also with appointment times, and its particularly annoying if you have scheduled to leave work early for an appointment, only to be left sitting like a lemon, when you could have finished work at your normal time :mad: I've also had trouble getting an evening appointment, because they can't always hold the evening clinic on Thursday.

But aside from that, when you do get seen by Jennifer or Conor you are well taken care of, and that's the main thing.

Dr McGrane has been in touch with me and asked me to pass on his apologies for the problems with waiting times at the Bracken Clinic. It's something they are working on and the situations will hopefully improve going forward

He has also asked me to thank everyone for all the comments/feedback.

• Advertisement
Advertisement