Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kegging??

Options
  • 11-05-2011 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Not really sure on the specifics of how this works. Does all the carbonation in kegged beer come from pressurized CO2 or is the batch primed and then forced out with gas be is CO2 or nitro?

Basically i was hoping to convert a commercial keg to be used at home and just wondered what i might have to do. Is the beer in a commercial keg carbonated prior to delivery to a pub?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Mashtun wrote: »
    Does all the carbonation in kegged beer come from pressurized CO2 or is the batch primed and then forced out with gas be is CO2 or nitro?
    You can do either. Force carbonation means the beer is ready immediately, but you're paying for the gas.
    Basically i was hoping to convert a commercial keg to be used at home and just wondered what i might have to do.
    Forget it. How would you clean the keg, for instance? Couplings are also very hard to come by. Home brewers who keg use cornies -- the top comes right off them for cleaning. Here's a guide to cornies.
    Is the beer in a commercial keg carbonated prior to delivery to a pub?
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Mashtun

I must read up on how these cornies work but maybe you can clear something up quickly for me in the mean time.

When a corny keg is filled with beer that has not been carbonated and is subsequently pressurized, is it carbonated instantly and ready for use or does it take time to dissolve?

Secondly, does the CO2 simply press down on the surface of the of the beer and force it back out through a submerged stem or does it work in some other way?
    BeerNut wrote: »
    Forget it.

mmm. Not goin to forget it just yet:p

is it carbonated instantly and ready for use or does it take time to dissolve?
    Someone who's actually done it might be able to tell you better, but as I understand it you have to roll and shake the keg with the gas pressure on and it's carbonated in minutes.
    Secondly, does the CO2 simply press down on the surface of the of the beer and force it back out through a submerged stem or does it work in some other way?
    With force carbonation, the CO2 dissolves in the beer. When dispensing, it's just pressing down on the beer and forcing it out up a tube which runs the height of the keg.
    Not goin to forget it just yet:p
    When you finally realise it's no good for dispense :p you can cut the top off it, add a tap, stick a gas burner under it and you have a keggle for boiling wort in.

When you finally realise it's no good for dispense :p you can cut the top off it, add a tap, stick a gas burner under it and you have a keggle for boiling wort in.

Already have an electric one made. Just stuck an element in one side and a tap in the other I even stuck a few temperature probes in it with the intention of hooking it up to a PID controller but it's still on the to do list

Some info and pics you might find useful here.

• Advertisement

Some info and pics you might find useful here.

Just had a quick read over the thread, cheers for putting me onto it. Not familiar with the hardware so it's a bit hard to follow but everthing is a learning curve i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Hi,
    I got 2 kegs from my local pub for a christening I am having tomorrow.
    I got a 2 keg cooler, some gas, the tapping heads and 2 taps.
    I kegged up the guinness and its perfect.
    The carlsberg was a different matter.
    I had the wrong tapping hrad first of all.
    Finally got the right one yesterday, rigged it up and nothing.
    Tried everything to no avail.
    I have a splitter on the gas that has an open and close valve on it.
    I thought it was the keg as when I pressed in the o ring I got very little beer out.
    Someone told me that sometimes they can be a bit tricky and can stick or might need to be forced down.
    I did some messing around and got it working.
    The only problem now is all I am getting is foam out of the keg?
    How much gas do I put in to the keg (how much do I open the tap on the gas)
    Do i leave the gas on when not in use?
    I have drawn off about 10 pints and it shows no sign of clearing.
    Any ideas?
    Am desperate at this hour as i paid a lot for the 2 kegs so can't afford to buy cans or bottles for my lager drinking guests at the christening tomorrow.
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Sham.

Do you have just one gas cylinder? A vague recollection form my days as a barman tells me that green gas bottles are pure CO2 and the black ones are a nitro mix for guinnes. If you're running a lager off a black cylinder this might explain ur issues!

I am only using one cylinder of gas ( which I think is nearly empty after yesterday)
    Guinness worked out great and everyone enjoyed it
    I gave up on the carlsberg in the end and got some cans for the lager drinkers
    I think the keg was faulty to begin with as it started with nothing coming out so guy is going to replace it maybe with a guinness
    Can I get the gas myself without having to ask a pub?
    Strange that my mate who works for Guinness never said anything about the gas but I do remember something about different gas from my barman days swell
    Thanks for the advice.

Just checked the cylinder
    It's green, sure mix 25 nitrogen carbon dioxide?

• Advertisement

right, a couple of things on this.
    Since my last post the gas is now empty.
    I got another keg (coors light) as a replacement for the carlsberg.
    I am starting to think that it is something to do with my setup as the coors is now just dispensing foam aswell.
    I assume this os due to lack of gas (Seeing as cylinder is empty)
    Can someone tell me for sure if the gas needed for guinness is different than the one needed for lager i.e carlsberg and coors?
    I still have the carlsberg and coors and would like to get them sorted if I could.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

Also as asked previously , can I just buy the gas somehwere or would I need to go to a pub and ask the owner if I could buy one from him.
    Cheers.

I can answer this myself now.
    If anyone is interested it seems that guinness and stouts use suremix 25 and lagers use suremix 50.
    I have contacted boc gases to see where I can buy a small cylinder.
    Cheers.

Was thinking it was the type of gas alright. I dont think the regulators on those things let ya mess up the pressure

Cheers for the reply.
    Never again, messy to say the least.
    It will be cans and bottles from now on.
    Utility room smells like a pub and the floor is so sticky that you can't walk across it without sticking to the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

sham69 wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply.
    Utility room smells like a pub and the floor is so sticky that you can't walk across it without sticking to the floor.

Are you not now tempted to join to dark side and make your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Cheers for the reply.

Donny5 wrote: »
    Are you not now tempted to join to dark side and make your own?

And home kegging is much easier to dispense from :)

Well I now have another problem.
    I got in touch with an agent who sells the gas I need.
    He said that the guinness gas should have been fine for the lager but that the lager gas (suremix 50) wouldnt work on the guinness so I am really confused as to why the 2 lager kegs are spitting out foam.
    I will do a bit more investigating over the weekend.

As for homebrew, how good is it?
    I am fond of british ale, like bishops finger, old speckled hen etc (not smithwicks though)
    I wouldnt mind trying that I suppose.

Exactly like home-cooked food, if you know what you're doing it's better than the stuff you buy pre-prepared.
    I am fond of british ale, like bishops finger, old speckled hen etc.
    Very easy to do. Any of the Woodforde's kits will take you in that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Hamlet

Well I now have another problem.
    I got in touch with an agent who sells the gas I need.
    He said that the guinness gas should have been fine for the lager but that the lager gas (suremix 50) wouldnt work on the guinness so I am really confused as to why the 2 lager kegs are spitting out foam.
    I will do a bit more investigating over the weekend.

is the tap a Guinness or other stout tap ? check the spout for a restricter, its a small silver disc with holes in it.

the gas for Stout should be fine for larger but not the other way round.

also I think the psi for larger is different, so if your using the same gas regulator you might have to tweak it for the larger. Guinness I think is 35psi cant remember what larger is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

I am fond of british ale, like bishops finger, old speckled hen etc (not smithwicks though)
    I wouldnt mind trying that I suppose.

Like BeerNut says, it can great quality. I'm a big fan of Kentish ales, too, and you can get some very good quality booze from a €25 kit and an hours work.

• Advertisement

Cheers , I might try the homebrew, sounds interesting
    is the tap a Guinness or other stout tap ? check the spout for a restricter, its a small silver disc with holes in it.

the gas for Stout should be fine for larger but not the other way round.

also I think the psi for larger is different, so if your using the same gas regulator you might have to tweak it for the larger. Guinness I think is 35psi cant remember what larger is.

I will try to explain as best I can as I am new to all this (even though i was a barman for 3 years in my teens.)

I got 2 kegs, Guinness and Carlsberg.
    I borrowed a 2 feed cooler , a cylinder of gas (suremix 25) and 2 taps.
    A murphys tap (which had the restricter) and a heineken tap which didnt have the restricter.
    The murphys tap sticks when releasing the tap back up after pouring so we put the restricter in the heineken tap and used this for the guinness.
    It worked perfectly.
    When I tried the carlsberg I had the wrong tapping head.
    After a few days I got the right tapping head, tried it and nothing (we had to use a splitter to split the gas to the 2 lines)
    Somebody told me that the 0 ring in the keg doesnt push down sometimes so I tried this.
    I got the beer to release but when it came out of the tap (murphy's one) it was just foam.
    I thought I may have to draw a few pints off for it to clear but after about 5 or 6 pints there was no sign of it clearing so I left it.

with me so far :D

Anyway a few days ago the gas was mentioned to me so I thought I had the wrong gas for the lager so I rang around about buying some.
    I got a quote from a guy who resells the gas for 80 euro (10 delivery) and will come out and set it up.
    in the meantime the gas for the guinness has gone (but judging by the weight of the keg and the amount I drank from it its nearly empty.
    I got a half keg of coors aswell and that is pulling really high (foamy) the same as the carlsberg which leads me to think its my setup.
    Problem I now have is I have no way of checking if the gas is right or not so if I buy the gas and its not the problem I am out of pocket again.

I can't see how to regulate the gas.
    I will take a pic of the setup when I get home.
    Any advice on this greatly appreciated as its starting to get on my nerves.
    Cheers.

Hi Sham,

80 + 10 delivery is very rich for the gas. does the place you got the kegs from not use the sure mix 25 or 50 ? if they do and you have an empty B.O.C bottle ask them to change it for you, its worth a shot.

its a while since I had the setup in my house. I had two gas regulators on the go, one for the Guinness (s/m 25) and the other for larger (s/m 50) and normally I would of got about 10/12 kegs from the gas. at the start I had the Guinness gas mix too high and it was dynamite, 5 pints and you had to be carried out of my house lol. talked to a few of the beer line cleaning lads for Guinness and they said it should be set at 35psi and near enough the same for larger. once I changed it, the Guinness was fab.

the larger on the other hand is very tricky I found to get right. try slow the pour from the tap, this can be done if your tap has a valve around it that slows the beer coming through it. make sure you take the restrictor disc out of the spout when your using it for larger. its only designed for stout use and will make your larger foamy.

another thing is to make sure your lines are clean, as the build up in the lines will also cause a foamy larger.

Cheers for the reply hamlet.
    Guinness worked perfectly as I got the setup from a guy who had guinness running in his home bar.
    As for the lager it was a multitude of problems ranging from wrong tapping head and a splitter for the gas (as we only had one cylinder) to the tap sticking.
    I took the restrictor from the lager tap and tried the slow pour and closing the valve etc , still the same.
    Problem now is I can't try it as the gas is empty (that was being used for the guinness)
    I might just take the plunge and buy the gas from the guy and mess around with the gas settings.
    The only other problem I have is, when the gas was working it was split to the lager and was working fine for the guinness , should it have worked fine for the lager aswell?
    As for the lines, they are almost brand new.
    Cheers again.

Cheers for the reply hamlet.
    Guinness worked perfectly as I got the setup from a guy who had guinness running in his home bar.
    As for the lager it was a multitude of problems ranging from wrong tapping head and a splitter for the gas (as we only had one cylinder) to the tap sticking.
    I took the restrictor from the lager tap and tried the slow pour and closing the valve etc , still the same.
    Problem now is I can't try it as the gas is empty (that was being used for the guinness)
    I might just take the plunge and buy the gas from the guy and mess around with the gas settings.
    The only other problem I have is, when the gas was working it was split to the lager and was working fine for the guinness , should it have worked fine for the lager aswell?
    As for the lines, they are almost brand new.
    Cheers again.

Hi sham,

I would think the gas pressure is too high.

when I was setting my stuff up, I used a car tyre pressure gauge held tightly on to the gas hose going to the kegging tap and adjusted the regulator down to 35psi.(tyre pressure gauge was the only thing I could find easily, but it worked fine) I eventually got larger to pour ok. but its a trial and error and watching all that beer go to waste is a bit emotional :eek: lol

with the Guinness I found even if the gas was too high it still poured and tasted ok, but it blew the head of ya after a few pints.

if you do buy the gas, you should turn it off at the bottle when not using it. just in case you have any leaks in the gas line. what kind of gas regulator do you have.

as for the tap sticking, unscrew the tap be careful of the spring inside it and the rubber O rings. leave it soak in warm water with milton cleaning fluid. when putting it back together rub a little bit of vaseline inside the top part of the tap. this normally works a treat.

thanks again for the reply.
    I will try the gas, its good that I know what to do now.
    I only have a loan of the equipment so need to get the kegs drank as quick as I can.
    I am thinking of buying my own cooler , gas and taps etc.
    Its expensive enough though.
    Cheers again.
    i will post back once i get the gas.

No problem Sham, hope you get it sorted. yeah they can be expensive to setup and run but great fun for any party's.

one final thing is that once you tap a keg the lifespan drops fast.

Larger untapped is about 3 months, tapped only lasts max about 3wks.

Guinness untapped is about the same as larger, tapped is about 6 wks.

you will really notice the taste change in the larger as the days go by, if it lasts that long.

wow thanks Hamlet.
    I never considered the life of the beer in the keg.
    I assumed it would last for months...
    Something to think about before i buy the equipment.
    Cheers again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Can someone answer this question for me to satisfy my curiosity?!!!

What happens if you serve a stout (say Guinness), on nitro (75-25 gas mix or whatever is standard Guinness mix) but through a non stout tap without restrictor disc. Just through a standard lager tap?

Hamlet wrote: »

Larger untapped is about 3 months, tapped only lasts max about 3wks.

Guinness untapped is about the same as larger, tapped is about 6 wks.

Anybody know what causes this? When you bottle a beer it'll last for months on end!

• Advertisement

slayerking wrote: »
    Can someone answer this question for me to satisfy my curiosity?!!!

What happens if you serve a stout (say Guinness), on nitro (75-25 gas mix or whatever is standard Guinness mix) but through a non stout tap without restrictor disc. Just through a standard lager tap?

you just end up with a pint of head.

Advertisement