Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile phone stolen from car .... (... in Applewood)

Options
  • 11-05-2011 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Had someone break into my car again last night 2nd time in a year, they stole a moblie phone i stupidly left in view in the car, no doubt they would have tried to steel the car itself had i not put a large chain on it after the last time they tried to steel it

Applewood is becoming a right scum hole :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

That's unlucky, sorry to hear that!

Its not so much the area more so the people that flock there!

There is some local teenagers always causing trouble there who dont live in the area. Ive often seen unmarked cars driving through applewood.

Shame to hear this....

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

Sorry to hear that your car was broken into.
    Were living up here 2 years now and havent had any problems with break in's or anything, but what I have noticed is the gang that hang around outside Spar. Only yesterday evening, in the doorway between the entrance and exit of Spar are 5 girls in there teens, one of them sat on the ground in the doorway with a baby on her lap, all she was short of was a paper cup in her hand.
    Every time I go over there in the evening there is a gang of teenagers and the leave the place looking like a dump! :(
    Also on Sunday I caught a chap lifting sods of grass that had been put down, he was going to throw them at his friend. WTF like? :confused: My other half gave him a right kick up a** when he saw him attempting it and the young chap stood like a deer in head lights and headed off with his tail between his legs. :D

Ive no words of wisdom for you OP, did you report it? I guess we just need to keep lookin out for each other.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I live the other end of Swords and the same thing happened to one of my neighbours. I don't think it's specific to any one area, the Guards said this sort of crime is on the increase everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

luckyfrank wrote: »
    Had someone break into my car again last night 2nd time in a year, they stole a moblie phone i stupidly left in view in the car, no doubt they would have tried to steel the car itself had i not put a large chain on it after the last time they tried to steel it

:eek:

I living in Applewood for over 6 six years now & nobody has ever touched my car or house, if you are stupid enough to leave something which is easily sellable in full view then you can expect nothing more than what happened to you.

No matter were you are living this would be the case.

This is an opportunist thief getting lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

celticbest wrote: »

I living in Applewood for over 6 six years now & nobody has ever touched my car or house, if you are stupid enough to leave something which is easily sellable in full view then you can expect nothing more than what happened to you.

Maybe but ive heard other stories from neighbours, window's being smashed random acts of vandalism, withing the last two months myself ive seeing two drunking fights outsicde my house, one from the orchard and another from a house party down the road

I couldnt give a toss about the phone it was about 5 years old with a crack in the screen, you wouldnt get a fiver for it, just the thought of scum roaming the streets with nothing better to do than cause other people hardship pisses my off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Seriously mobile phone on view is just asking for your car to be broke into, why are people so gullible in this day an age.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

8 years living in Applewood now & not a single scratch on my car which is parked on the road. Then again I've never left my phone in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I have deleted a number of posts here that could have been used to identify a particular child in the area.

Do not post descriptions of those you think may be responsible for local anit-social behaviour or criminal acts - & that goes for children or adults. If you are so sure of your identification of possible culprits - contact the Gardai.

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

celticbest wrote: »

I wouldn't say thats true at all, there are plenty of nice areas you can leave bikes unattended, items in view and not expect someone to rob them.

Im not saying you should just that its a fact of life that some areas are a bit more susceptible in terms of crime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AmyMac99

Hi there, just wondering where exactly this happened as I'm in Applewood for many years and have never seen anything like this?

There are many areas which people think are Applewood or refer to as Applewood such as Thornleigh, Lincoln Hall, Talbot Hall etc which are not actually Applewood.

Applewood is the streets with Applewood in their name (I know that sounds obvious) but people are always using the name Applewood for the other areas behind Applewood which is misleading.

The actual Applewood Village itself is a lovely area and I'd be very surprised if this happened here as I've never seen or heard of anything like this in the 6 years I'm here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

I feel sorry for the OP for having his car broken into, especially having your phone taken because it is so annoying - but I think the thread title is very misleading. I would have expected something a lot more extreme to warrent that reaction.

I wouldn't advise leaving anything on view in a car anywhere - I don't think it is something specific to any area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Opportunistic thieves if anything. Thread title misleads. OP is silly. Take steps to avoid needless losses in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I agree that the thread title is not great as now the words 'Applewood' (where I presume they live) and 'scum' will be forever associated on the interweb in searches.
    If the OP wants to suggest a new thread title they can always PM me or Beasty & suggest a new title.

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Maybe but ive heard other stories from neighbours, window's being smashed random acts of vandalism, withing the last two months myself ive seeing two drunking fights outsicde my house, one from the orchard and another from a house party down the road

Two fights in two months...and this is why you think the area is full of "scum"? It must have been a very sheltered life you lead up until this point OP, because two fights in two months after drink is had in both instances means feck all. Now had you said "fights every single night", you might have a point. However, you didn't so you don't have a point. You left your phone on view in your car, you were unlucky that an opportunistic thief took their chance and now you're branding the area as some sort of shíthole? Thats a bit rich. How about this "Everyone who lives in Applewood is a moron. In the last month I heard of this one bloke who actually left his phone on view in his car and it got broken into." Its about as sensical as what you wrote.

Change the thread title ffs. Oh perhaps be less hysterical in your language in future.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

As no alternative suggestions were forthcoming I've come up with my own thread title;)

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

kennyb3 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say thats true at all, there are plenty of nice areas you can leave bikes unattended, items in view and not expect someone to rob them.

Im not saying you should just that its a fact of life that some areas are a bit more susceptible in terms of crime

There is absolutely no urban area in Ireland were you could do this as sooner or later an opportunist thief will pass through and scoop up whatever is available.

To think otherwise is very naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

My downstairs neighbour told me last week that she saw two men trying to break into my car the previous week, she was on her balcony smoking and the men didn't see her, they had a large piece of wire and were trying to get the door open. Only stopped when they noticed her on the balcony (now I would have let out a roar at anyone I saw messing with cars outside, but some ppl "don't want to get involved" so if they had have gotten in, I would have no car when we awoke in the am...) Sounds like it would have been about the same time OP's car was broken into...

We've been here for 7 years.. I hate the place, feel constantly on edge I have been thinking about starting up a community group (not a garden) maybe a better sense of community would lift the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shiroki

I live across the road in Sanford Wood and I've definitely noticed the gangs of kids when I go to Spar. It's unfortunate that stuff like this happens in the area, although leaving the phone in plain sight was rather silly :/ I personally can't wait to leave the Swords area :( It's sad to say, I know but true, nevertheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

Shiroki where is Sandford wood?

I have said it to the young fella who manages the spar about the amount of young one's hanging around he said that they usually chase them away from the front, but I don't really see that it's effective.

Its very sad to see the way Applewood has gone in the last couple of years cos it was lovely when we first moved in.

Surprised to hear we don't actually live in Applewood, as we live in the apartments at the bottom, but when we bought our apartment the address was given as applewood, so always give my address as Applewood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shiroki

It's the redbrick houses beside Glen Ellan :) I hope something is done about it before the kids grow up into 19-20 year olds, when they can really start causing trouble :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AmyMac99

You should definately start a community group.It is exactly what that area down behind Applewood needs more of but unfortunately nearly everyone will complain about these things but never actually start a community group so things never improve. "Community" is exactly what those areas need, and it is difficult to do but he benefits are huge. There was a lady in Thornlegh who started one up or it could have been Castle View actually, Adrienne or something was her name.
    In the same way as you did no know where Sanford Wood is, is the same way people often dont know where Lincoln Hall or Castle View or Thornleigh are etc so people say they live in Applewood as those areas are near Applewood though not actually Applewood.

The owners in Applewood itself have always had a good relationship with the Gardai and many years ago managed to move on some bad eggs that the Gardai were monitoring, but that was years ago and honestly hasn't been an issue since.

I would strongly recommend you starting a community group, and there are people associated with Fingal CoCo who assist in forming community groups and residents associations and the Gardai in Swords are quite willing to work with resident groups such as these as they are mutually beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaulD77

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Two fights in two months...and this is why you think the area is full of "scum"? It must have been a very sheltered life you lead up until this point OP, because two fights in two months after drink is had in both instances means feck all. Now had you said "fights every single night", you might have a point. However, you didn't so you don't have a point.

Im not sure, I used to do bouncer in a pub at the weekends. It wasnt Swords, but I did it for a good 2 years and also managed a bar for 3 years. In those 5 years I would say I witnessed max 10 fights and thats pushing it. All Im saying is, 2 fights in 2 months could seem a lot for some people. If your used to more then maybe it is the area your from....

Advertisement